Formal Night Attire

DAS_UK

8 hours ago, beshears said:

I am not talking about the ship that was ask about, but I understand (we are doing the Regal in February) that there are two formal nights for a 7 day cruise. I believe one of the formal (call it what you want) nights is where they have the champagne tower, and the captain greets the new guest on ship.

We will be on the Regal in March. One of the formal nights will have the champagne fountain.  Someday we have to go see it.  Looking at our cruise the first formal night will be the second sea day and the second one after the Cozumel port day.  Because of the second after a port stop, the champaign fountain will most likely be the first formal night.  Formal means men will have on jeans/pants and collar shirt as a minimum.  Some ships allow even shorts depending on what pax choose to wear but cruises in the Caribbean are usually more informal than formal.  

15 hours ago, satxdiver said:

We will be on the Regal in March. One of the formal nights will have the champagne fountain.  Someday we have to go see it.  Looking at our cruise the first formal night will be the second sea day and the second one after the Cozumel port day.  Because of the second after a port stop, the champagne fountain will most likely be the first formal night.  Formal means men will have on jeans/pants and collar shirt as a minimum.  Some ships allow even shorts depending on what pax choose to wear but cruises in the Caribbean are usually more informal than formal.  

The Captain's Welcome Formal Night is always the first one since the theme is WELCOME ABOARD and introduction of some officers.  That is always the same night the champagne fountain is done AFAIK.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2023 at 12:23 PM, satxdiver said:

We will be on the Regal in March. One of the formal nights will have the champagne fountain.  Someday we have to go see it.  Looking at our cruise the first formal night will be the second sea day and the second one after the Cozumel port day.  Because of the second after a port stop, the champaign fountain will most likely be the first formal night.  Formal means men will have on jeans/pants and collar shirt as a minimum.  Some ships allow even shorts depending on what pax choose to wear but cruises in the Caribbean are usually more informal than formal.  

Last formal night on the Ruby there were 4 guys in the DR with shorts on. 

No one seemed to care. 

Also there seemed to be about half and half with people dressing formal and casual. 

1 hour ago, d9704011 said:

You were able to count them?  How do men wearing kilts fall into this?

I sat in plain view of the entrance & monitored everyone. 

No kilts this cruise, just loads of walkers, canes, scooters and wheelchairs. 

I think they must have had an old age discount. 😅

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Last formal night on the Ruby there were 4 guys in the DR with shorts on. 

No one seemed to care. 

Also there seemed to be about half and half with people dressing formal and casual. 

With all the changes in recent times and drift to more smart casual (or less) wear, there is still an obvious interest in dressing up with a lot of folks.  The best thing is that guests have the choice.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

With all the changes in recent times and drift to more smart casual (or less) wear, there is still an obvious interest in dressing up with a lot of folks.  The best thing is that guests have the choice.

A perfect response.  Thank you.

6 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Everyone seemed happy so I guess this new approach hasn't offended anyone.

On 11/9/2023 at 11:33 AM, DAS_UK said:

Could someone with recent experience of Sky Princess formal nights, especially those sailing out of the US, please advise the attire worn by the majority of guests. We have no wish to drag a tuxedo or long evening gowns to the US if these are not normally worn on formal nights.

Speaking to “recent experience”, we are on the Sky right now. Southampton to PE. 27 days. (At this moment alongside at Grand Turk.)

On formal nights (9 or so), we have observed all manner of dress in the MDR ranging from tux and sparkly gowns to jeans and short sleeved collared shirts.  The split was fairly even but overall tended a bit toward casual over tux/sparkly. 
On non-formal nights, everything from shorts/tee shirts to formal wear can be found in the MDR. 
We are in Club/Reserve. This area tended to be a bit dressier than the main section of the MDR but yet there were jeans and short sleeved shirts throughout on both formal and non-formal nights. 

All of this said, you will not feel out of place regardless of your dress choice. 
Be comfortable however you define this. 

• Like 2

On 11/9/2023 at 6:33 AM, DAS_UK said:

My wife and I are new to Princess. We are due to sail on a Sky Princess Caribbean cruise out of Fort Lauderdale. So far, all the information we have read about formal nights suggest guests have a mixture of clothing from Tuxedo (black-tie) or normal dark suit, with or without tie for gentlemen and long evening gown, cocktail dress or blouse/smart trousers for ladies.

Could someone with recent experience of Sky Princess formal nights, especially those sailing out of the US, please advise the attire worn by the majority of guests. We have no wish to drag a tuxedo or long evening gowns to the US if these are not normally worn on formal nights.

Pretty much what I said earlier. Nice shirt/nice pants. Again go to youtube & type in Princess cruises. You'll get the best idea of how pax will dress. Most dress more casually for short cruises & a bit dressier for the 10 day type pf cruise.