Regent Grandeur Now a Regent Ship

DeepFreeze63

17 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

Thanks for all the reports from the new ship.

No experience of Grandeur but on Splendor and Explorer we like the excellent lunch menus in both Chartreuse and Prime 7, with a slight preference for the regular offerings in Chartreuse.

I believe the lunchtime daily specials are the same in Chartreuse, P7 and La Veranda.

Correct!

• Thanks 1

Just finished a tour lead by CD, ACD, and SH using the new Regent app, "Art Experience" - terrific entertainment (using one's phone; not IPad "yet"). Starts in Atrium and progresses as you visit the specific art piece (Phase1 has only 12 of the 1600pieces on the Grandeur as of now). As you scan the art, a few-minute film is brought up highlighting the artist, the process of creating the art, and its inspiration - very well done! Was enthalled with the magnificent tapestry ('The Enchanted Tree") in Atrium. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tnm6217 said:

Does anyone have a copy of the Connoisseur wine list they can post? I'm curious to see what's available and the price points. Thanks in advance!

I have one of another Regent ship earlier this year

Wine list is shorter as on Silversea but IMHO  prices are very good and honest 

a lot cheaper as on Crystal or Oceania for sure 

Connoisseur (1).pdf

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bitob said:

Prime 7 most popular restaurant for sure. 

I will add

the food on this ship is the best I’ve had on any cruise

Hi.  Your notes about onboard experience are helpful.  Keep them coming.  We board on the 21st.  Can you say how the ship is handling the open seas?  Much rocking and rolling?  Have not been on a cruise ship this size.  Only very small for Galapogos, and boy did that rock and roll and not even a storm!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vistaman said:

I have one of another Regent ship earlier this year

Wine list is shorter as on Silversea but IMHO  prices are very good and honest 

a lot cheaper as on Crystal or Oceania for sure 

Connoisseur (1).pdf 1.46 MB · 30 downloads

Thanks.  They have a lot of good producers but mostly average of slightly above average vintages.  I guess that's the keep the costs down.  But I think I'd prefer a 'lesser house' from a better vintage than vice versa. 

4 hours ago, cAPS lOCK oN said:

Here's Grandeur's California Cab selections from the reserve list. The prices are quite reasonable imho.

Reserve Cali Cabs.jpg

Thx--any chance you could send the Champagne and Italian pages too?  No rush and no problem if you can't...I'm just curious.  

Just now, Roxydog15 said:

Hi.  Your notes about onboard experience are helpful.  Keep them coming.  We board on the 21st.  Can you say how the ship is handling the open seas?  Much rocking and rolling?  Have not been on a cruise ship this size.  Only very small for Galapogos, and boy did that rock and roll and not even a storm!

It is over. Captain changed course to improve situation. Crossings have a risk of rough seas. I’ve been on many crossings. On some it’s smooth as silk. 

on the 21 we go through the Panama Canal. We will be on that one too. We have been through the Canal 6 times on 6 different ships. No risk of rough seas 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Whinenowine said:

Thx--any chance you could send the Champagne and Italian pages too?  No rush and no problem if you can't...I'm just curious.  

During my recent Splendor cruise the choice of special Champagne and  Italian white was rather limited

However  those days, if you want top vintages and top producers - even on cruise ships the prices are also high. After the millenium prices of the great Bordeaux started to get " crazy"  caused by the "new markets" 

29 minutes ago, Whinenowine said:

Thanks.  They have a lot of good producers but mostly average of slightly above average vintages.  I guess that's the keep the costs down.  But I think I'd prefer a 'lesser house' from a better vintage than vice versa. 

Most of the wines listed are Napa 2018 & 2019 - both were highly rated vintages and we bought many.  Checked Wine Advocate - 2018 rated 95 and 2019 rated 96.  Wine Spectator has 2018 at 99 and 2019 at 97.  Don't think that there's a really "bad" California Vintage for good wine makers.  The bigger issue may be how young they are but restaurants and ships don't usually age wines, you get what's currently available.  Regent does decant the wines and you can ask them to decant it early for you select the wine early. 

1 hour ago, Snh lname said:

I know this a ridiculous question, but …

When will some travel agency (or RSSC) give us a nice video tour of the ship?

I can’t be the only one asking for this. 

I’m guessing after official Christening. 

• Like 1

Four times at P7 for lunch and once at Chartreuse; most times we got there early.  However, even when we arrived at 1215 we were seated promptly and got a table we enjoyed and a meal that was fantastic.  Please do not go to P7 or Chartreuse at lunch and expect to get out in 45 minutes; it is sometimes slow but always fantastic.

Grandeur has been absolutely wonderful!.

Marc

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, vistaman said:

During my recent Splendor cruise the choice of special Champagne and  Italian white was rather limited

However  those days, if you want top vintages and top producers - even on cruise ships the prices are also high. After the millenium prices of the great Bordeaux started to get " crazy"  caused by the "new markets" 

On Explorer in September I distinctly remember for champagne. They had Veuve (yellow label, not Grand Dame), Dom and Krug.  They especially had a lot of higher end Bordeaux. Very little burgundy if I recall. The prices for a wine list were good, all about 20% more than what you can buy the wines for retail. A lot better than 300% like you see in a typical restaurant.

36 minutes ago, Bruce61 said:

On Explorer in September I distinctly remember for champagne. They had Veuve (yellow label, not Grand Dame), Dom and Krug.  They especially had a lot of higher end Bordeaux. Very little burgundy if I recall. The prices for a wine list were good, all about 20% more than what you can buy the wines for retail. A lot better than 300% like you see in a typical restaurant.

On Splendor in October, we had Ruinart also. We had it night #1 in Prime 7. Humor was when a server backed into the standing ice bucket and whooosh!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bruce61 said:

that is very true  and yes on the Splendor no Meursault available ...

9 hours ago, tnm6217 said:

Thank you @vistaman and @cAPS lOCK oN! That list looks great to me. I'm celebrating a big birthday on my Navigator sailing next year and I have $1200 SBC...there will be beautiful bubbles imbibed!

You can start with Krug ( imho better as a Dom P )  and then a Ruinart Blanc de Blancs  😜

2 hours ago, vistaman said:

You can start with Krug ( imho better as a Dom P )  and then a Ruinart Blanc de Blancs  😜

Thank you for these suggestions! I've never had either label, but trying new Champagnes is one of my favorite things! 🥂

6 minutes ago, bitob said:

Shania Twain passenger on board

We were on a Splendor Caribbean about 18 months ago and she was also on board for that cruise. We were in 1201, a GS directly under the Regent Suite where she was staying. She performed one evening in the Splendor lounge with David Nevin. Like us, both Canucks.

17 hours ago, Eno-Bob said:

Most of the wines listed are Napa 2018 & 2019 - both were highly rated vintages and we bought many.  Checked Wine Advocate - 2018 rated 95 and 2019 rated 96.  Wine Spectator has 2018 at 99 and 2019 at 97.  Don't think that there's a really "bad" California Vintage for good wine makers.  The bigger issue may be how young they are but restaurants and ships don't usually age wines, you get what's currently available.  Regent does decant the wines and you can ask them to decant it early for you select the wine early. 

Oh, sorry should have specified old world--was really looking at Bordeaux and Piemont.  But still, for me I can't drink a cab-based wine that is so young...just not to my liking (though I know many disagree)

5 hours ago, vistaman said:

Agreed, definitely worth trying the Krug, especially if you've never had it; it is consistently excellent every release.

I agree that in many vintages the Krug grand cuvee is better than the DP.  On the list you posted above I'd definitely chose the Krug GC over the '10 DP (which is middling at best), even at $50/bt more.  But I'd respectively disagree in excellent vintages like '02 and '08.  I think there the DP will outshine the Krug every time (to my palate).  Had both this past week ('02 out of mag) and they're just phenomenal.

To me DP is a modern viticultural marvel....love it or hate it, the fact that they can make so much of it (annual production estimates range from 500,000 cases to 5mm+ cases) and have it be consistently excellent is mind boggling. By comparison, First Growth Bordeaux chateau make 10-25k cases and Grand Cru Burg houses only make hundreds of cases.

• Like 1