Regent Grandeur Now a Regent Ship

DeepFreeze63

13 hours ago, Whinenowine said:

Thanks so much, @crusin7, very informative!  Looks like they upgraded the DP vintage and jacked up the price accordingly (which is just fine by me).  But still mostly young, off-vintage Bordeaux. 

so , ik think I have to bring a bottle of Meursault  and  and another great white ...

On 12/1/2023 at 2:55 AM, Bruce61 said:

On Explorer in September I distinctly remember for champagne. They had Veuve (yellow label, not Grand Dame), Dom and Krug.  They especially had a lot of higher end Bordeaux. Very little burgundy if I recall. The prices for a wine list were good, all about 20% more than what you can buy the wines for retail. A lot better than 300% like you see in a typical restaurant.

that is very true  and yes on the Splendor no Meursault available ...

Did my daily walk through the inside passages. Took the  opportunity to research the Launderette situation.

Deck - 3 pair washer/dryer; iron/board; separate detergent dispenser (ECOLAB); baskets; small folding table; detailed instructions; TV (always on "Grandeur Today"); telephone; and 2 chairs.

Deck 8 - like Deck 6.

Deck 9 and Deck 12 - 2 pair of washer dryers; otherwise like Deck 6.

Deck 7 - bare bones - only 1 pair washer/dryer and no TV

Decks 10, 11 and 14 - no Launderettes

Was there before 7 AM and all Launderettes were open

• Like 1

In a September press release Regent bragged about " 8 deliciously authentic new hot appetizers" at  Sette Mari. They didn't fib (except maybe about hot)!  Had my "dinner" last night at a table directly in front of the Sette Mari Grill and FEASTED on appetizers from the buffet table. Terrific combinations of vegetables, cheeses, sea food, and freshly-shaved Italian cold cuts, with Chianti of course.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Gpilon said:

We were on a Splendor Caribbean about 18 months ago and she was also on board for that cruise. We were in 1201, a GS directly under the Regent Suite where she was staying. She performed one evening in the Splendor lounge with David Nevin. Like us, both Canucks.

Wow

hope she performs on this cruise. David is cd

2 minutes ago, bitob said:

Wow

hope she performs on this cruise. David is cd

There were no announcements that she would perform....so lucky few who were in lounge thoroughly enjoyed her performance, even if only a brief one. 

1 minute ago, bitob said:

Yes. Her husband carries it into compass rose in a pet carrier 

I doubt they’d let me do the same😁

After all her past health issues, I suspect it is an emotional support dog.

On 11/26/2023 at 12:46 PM, Roxydog15 said:

Hi DeepFreeze, wondering about the nightlight you mentioned.  That blue entryway light, is it really bright?  Like, bring an eye mask bright?  Is it automatically/permanently on, or do we have the option to turn it off?

Thanks,

Ellen

Yes, it's bright but around the corner from bed. Can turn it off of either night stand.

1 hour ago, Gpilon said:

After all her past health issues, I suspect it is an emotional support dog.

It isn't - they ought to tell her no. And she says she doesn't want to be asked to sing. Regent lets her bring it so people can see her onboard.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Whinenowine said:

Agreed, definitely worth trying the Krug, especially if you've never had it; it is consistently excellent every release.

I agree that in many vintages the Krug grand cuvee is better than the DP.  On the list you posted above I'd definitely chose the Krug GC over the '10 DP (which is middling at best), even at $50/bt more.  But I'd respectively disagree in excellent vintages like '02 and '08.  I think there the DP will outshine the Krug every time (to my palate).  Had both this past week ('02 out of mag) and they're just phenomenal.

To me DP is a modern viticultural marvel....love it or hate it, the fact that they can make so much of it (annual production estimates range from 500,000 cases to 5mm+ cases) and have it be consistently excellent is mind boggling. By comparison, First Growth Bordeaux chateau make 10-25k cases and Grand Cru Burg houses only make hundreds of cases.

Oh my goodness - I feel very sophisticated when I'm drinking a wine that doesn't have a screw top.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Had lunch in Chartreuse for 1st time this cruise - 2 "misses" and 2 hits! The croque monseiur (sp?) has been replaces by a "Monty Christo" (a sunny-side  egg on top) and the quiche is now a "pear and walnut" variety - neither to our taste! Replaced by a RARE steak and pecan dessert - both marvelous.