Anyone concerned?

uneamie

My parents lived with through WW11 bombings. I grew up with the fear of being killed by Irish Catholic bombers, my son grew up with the fear of Islamic extremist bombers, non of us ever allowed our fear to influence our actions. Statistically I believe most people die within 5 miles of their home so travel is the safest option. 

Great book by Lesli Richardson (can't remember the tile) has a cruise ship as a terrorist target but it all ends OK and it is fiction.

Edited by Catchum
Typo
  • Like 1

I would be more concerned about being in the Bermuda triangle.  I've watched thousands of hours of TV factual documentaries on that place.  Now THAT is something to be afraid of.  Like the song goes, "leave without a trace."  (good song by the way!)

Disclaimer: I just remembered that I'll be sailing in the Bermuda triangle with @ggTexasGal in a few weeks.  Wish us well!!  😬💀☠️🫥👻👽

• Haha 6

Multiple people in my life are in national security (Canada) and my cruise in 2 weeks is not even a concern. There’s a higher chance of a volcano eruption on my 1.5 hour layover in Iceland, the risk of which it happening in that small span of time and impacting is incredible small. 

A ship that moves on the ocean is not a likely target. Now this depends on your cruise location. Some areas there would be a little more reason to be concerned. One mitigating factor if there is an issue I would recommend your son get comprehensive travel insurance that covers trip interruption and cancel for any reason. If let’s say you can’t return home because something happened somewhere you’ll at least have your costs covered including hotel etc.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, uneamie said:

How does everyone else feel about the currant state of affairs and our safety??? 

For most areas, I am no more concerned than I am in everyday life in the Washington DC area.  I would be reluctant to go to the Middle East right now.  And I will not go to China.

We were fortunate to have visited Israel in late August of this year.

• Like 1

Just thinking back about wars in my lifetime…Vietnam was winding down as best as I can remember.  Iran-Iraq-Russia war.  I served in the Gulf.  War in Kosovo.  Global War on Terror.

Frankly, there are so many skirmishes that are constantly cropping up around the world, one could probably huddle in their homes and never leave for the more paranoid of us.

Can’t live life afraid!

• Like 4

14 hours ago, gizfish said:

Firstimer, I think I would only be worried if you happened to be on the cruise, considering the horrible and scary luck you have had 😉 But back to the OP,  do you know how many cruise ships are in the ocean at a given time?  What are the odds that even if a cruise ship were targeted, it would be the one your family was on.  I would think if a ship were a target, it would more likely be a military vessal than a passenger ship that isn't even flagged in America.  Nope I will just stick with my usual cruise fears of Covid, Neuro and having to be out of bed early enough for the room steward to clean my cabin.

You are right!  They should probably make an announcement I am on board.  Although I have had two perfect cruises so maybe that is my lucky place.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, firstimer2009 said:

I am the most risk adverse person in the world especially after being in a passenger flight that almost crashed, a major earthquake where I thought the building was going to collapse and being near a volcano that blew up.  Being on a cruise ship that was attacked wasn’t even in my Top 100 things to be worried about.  A yacht being taken over by pirates, that I have thought about.  

Sounds like us living on the West Coast.....went thru the SF earthquake in 1989 and lived in Seattle when Mt St Helens blew its top.  Don't think anyone would consider messing with a cruise ship until I remembered the Achille Laurel.  I guess if anyone is freaked out, staying home would be the best option.  Not me.

16 minutes ago, Diver2014 said:

Sounds like us living on the West Coast.....went thru the SF earthquake in 1989 and lived in Seattle when Mt St Helens blew its top.  Don't think anyone would consider messing with a cruise ship until I remembered the Achille Laurel.  I guess if anyone is freaked out, staying home would be the best option.  Not me.

That was me!  I was actually working in Chehalis which was really close to Mt. St. Helens, especially as the crow flies.  And in the SF 89 quake too.  Let's hope all of my disasters are behind me.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, uneamie said:

Thanks to those who responded. I was simply trying to get another viewpoint on the subject. I don't need a lecture on how silly it seems.  I understand the "overly fearful" issue. That said, when you have had people you care about die in the towers on 9-11 it brings terror to your doorstep and you don't forget it easily. I don't think everyone who lived through all that lives in fear but I do think many see the world differently than others. Sad of course....that said, I will still be going. Not sure about my son and his girlfriend. 

We all respond to stressful amd emotional events differently and you need to do what makes you comfortable.   While I would never cancel a cruise (especially out of NY with it's NYPD terrorism unit) because of fear of terrorism, the reality is no one can tell you how to feel.  I think the question you have to ask your family is "will the fear and anxiety be something that prevents us from enjoying our trip".  That will be your answer.  If you can enjoy it, go.  If not, don't. 

As someone who also lost many friends and acquaintances on 911, I feel that fear is the true goal of the terrorist and changing my plans without concrete evidence of danger simply means they win.

• Like 4

Surely I am not the only one who remembers that terrorists with AK47s, posing as passengers, hijacked the cruise ship Achille Lauro in the 1980s.  They separated out the Jews, shot one of them (Klinghoffer), and dumped his body overboard. 

Edited by FLAHAM
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Remember the Titanic. 😢

Remember the Costa Concordia. 😢

i do remember them.

there were no terrorists on these ships.

the question here is whether or not cruise ships are safe, given the current heated political climate and war(s) and whether cruise ships are more or less likely to be targets of an overt terrorist action. 

in my opinion, cruise ships are safe. but - they are at the very same time -  likely targets for terrorism and high jacking. a high jacking of a passenger cruise ship previously took place during exactly the same sort of worldwide conflict that we currently have. and it was backed by a terrorist organization not dissimilar from one that is currently at war.  it could conceivably happen again.

in my opinion, the question is legitimate. but risks must be assessed by each individual and a decision made. i personally wouldn’t cancel a cruise, but others might. they shouldn’t be mocked or ridiculed. they should be free to make the decision that’s right for them.

what we really need is beefed up port and shipboard security… and i just don’t see that happening. you know, i’ve been onboard in many ports and i frequently hear the crew drills. it’s always about a fire or a distressed passenger. i’ve never once heard a drill dealing with terrorists or active shooters onboard. working in a manhattan office building, i have to participate in two terrorist/active shooter drills a year.

if your ship is overtaken by pirates or terrorists, would the crew know what to do?

asking them to wash their hands before eating will not thwart terrorists. it may in fact make them angry.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, FLAHAM said:

Surely I am not the only one who remembers that terrorists with AK47s, posing as passengers, hijacked the cruise ship Achille Lauro in the 1980s.  They separated out the Jews, shot one of them (Klinghoffer), and dumped his body overboard. 

Achile Lauron was hijacked on Egyptian waters on the way from  Alexandria (Egypt) to Port Said (Egypt) at a time of high unrest at that part of the world. So it was a totally different situation than what op is asking. They are not going to cruise in an area of high unrest. Go to a Israel or Egypt cruise now? Ummmm not wise but Bermuda is not risky at all. 

There are unfortunately always wars going on around the world. Constantly. In multiple locations. Some get more media coverage than others so we know more about some of them. Still if you aren’t going on a cruise in an area of high unrest or war then you are far more likely to be hit by a car while going to the port than to be on a ship that will be hijacked. The risk of which is almost zero to none. Heck most likely even if you’d go on a cruise in an area of high unrest you’d still be more likely to be hit by a car than be hijacked on a cruise ship. 

Personally my view is: I avoid and do not travel to areas of high unrest. Other than that I refuse to live in fear of a possible terrorist whatever. If I would the terrorists around the world would win. But thats just my view and my decision. 

Edited by European_CruiseGirl
  • Like 5

I am not concerned.

However, will there come a point when our safety video will include instructions on what to do in case of pirates/terrorists on board cruise ships? There was always at least one or two security personnel carrying firearms when I cruised the Nile and the Amazon. 

Sadly, schools nowadays conduct active shooter drills. The scariest scenarios for us were shelter drills. Is it possible those types of drills will return?

Traveling abroad does not seem less safe to me than walking around my high crime neighborhoods. Naturally, I take precautions anywhere I travel. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, kitkat343 said:

I taught at Stuyvesant H.S. on 9/11 so I can understand the fear that NYers have.  But the difference here is that the WTC was a very well known potential target prior to 9/11.  The head of Morgan Stanley's security made every employee run drills twice a year in which they practiced evacuating their WTC offices by walking down the stairs.  Only 13 of their employees didn't make it out that day, including him.  He had the opportunity to leave but refused, wanting to go back up to make sure all the other employees had safely evacuated.

If your cruise were scheduled to visit Egypt or Turkey I could understand their concern and would say that you'd need to wait until closer to June to see how the situation unfolds and then make a decision about how they feel about whether or not they need to cancel.  But honestly I felt safer in Bermuda than I do in parts of NYC, so  I'm not sure there's much to evaluate here.  But if they aren't going to feel safe enough to relax and enjoy themselves, then they should cancel. 

I agree. Thanks for sharing that about the head of Morgan Stanley's escape drills. I did'nt know that. Brave man and a true hero. I personally think we will be fine. My son really wants to go and not let his thoughts rule the day so we shall see what decision he and his girl make. I'd really like to enjoy this cruise with them. At my age I want to savor the memorable times. 

• Like 1

Personally, I'd be more concerned on an airplane than a cruise ship...especially with the number of unhinged people flying nowadays. Also, a plane can be taken out of the sky with a well-aimed missile...or even a laser pointer.

Plus...9/11 involved planes...I don't recall any cruise ships being involved. Besides, I hate flying anyway.

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Like 2

Thanks for pointing all that out. I forgot about some of it but I doubt my son has. He has a photographic memory...nothing leaves his brain. LOL. So the question will continue to remain will he or won't he risk it? I do think it's unlikely they pick our ship to demonstrate their anger against the Jews or the US. However, the FBI and others have noted that they themselves are on high alert for the next attack and it could be major like 9/11.

https://www.nydailynews.com/2023/10/31/terror-threat-america-us-higher-fbi-hamas-israel/

3 hours ago, Ellaleah said:

I wonder if cruise ships are prepared for a terroist attack? Pirates are one thing but a planned out terroist attack could be a larger threat to deal with in the middle of the ocean. 

17 hours ago, firstimer2009 said:

That was me!  I was actually working in Chehalis which was really close to Mt. St. Helens, especially as the crow flies.  And in the SF 89 quake too.  Let's hope all of my disasters are behind me.

My brother and his wife lost the home they personally built in that earthquake. His wife was home and the home came down while she was in it. She got out just in time. My brother was coming home from work and just missed that overpass collapsing....both of them very tramatized for years but my brother got over it. His wife developed a lot of fears from it unfortunately. They did rebuild on the same property with high tech earthquake features. They live on the top of a mountain on 5 acres of beautiful land so I don't blame them for rebuilding there. 

Edited by uneamie