Another AARP gift card question

wannagonow123

11 hours ago, damiross said:

There's the problem.  Although I have a cruise booked, I still don't know if I can go due to personal medical reasons. If I need to cancel my upcoming cruise, then I will need to see if Princess will refund the gift cards in cash.  I will also be completely open with them and tell them that I have $5000 in cards which cost me less due to the AARP discount.

Princess will not refund gift cards with cash for any reason.  ESPECIALLY since you bought them through AARP.

13 hours ago, damiross said:

...in cards which cost me less due to the AARP discount.

And there's the point of it all. I have read several threads about AARP gift cards and wondering, "What's the savings?" But if you are saying you buy them at discount, then how much of a discount? 

I am not an AARP member, but with all that we cruise, if the savings are significant, sign me up!

Could we use the card for final payment or just to load OBC? We always have FCD for deposits, which also give some OBC, but more is better of course. TIA

9 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

And there's the point of it all. I have read several threads about AARP gift cards and wondering, "What's the savings?" But if you are saying you buy them at discount, then how much of a discount? 

I am not an AARP member, but with all that we cruise, if the savings are significant, sign me up!

Could we use the card for final payment or just to load OBC? We always have FCD for deposits, which also give some OBC, but more is better of course. TIA

They used to be available at 10%...now only 8% but that's still a significant savings based on the total cost of a cruise fare.  I have saved several hundred dollars on a single cruise.  You do NOT have to be an AARP member...just join their "Rewards" program (free for anybody).

By your saying, "total cost," I'm understanding it can be used and/or for the deposit, the fare balance, or to load OBC. Our next cruise is a short one and the fare is $4500, which means a saving at 8% is $360. That's not just a coffee or cocktail, but excursion money.  Thanks! @Rick&Jeannie

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 1

Dami,  can we assume that you have already applied these cards to Princess?

I really do not think you will have any luck with this, if you can not cruise.

I think it pretty much has to be 'refund to method of payment'.

Hopefully you have the actual cards and PIN numbers.

The one option that you might have is to sell them to another cruiser.

That way you get some value back, and somebody else can save on a Princess cruise.

Do you have an account on the social media sites like eBay?  

You do not have to be a member...  but you have to know how to go online and click show all rewards for all of these to show up.

I believe they are sold, at 10% less than value...  $100. cards for $90.00.  $500.cards for $450.00

Remember to not lose these cards and their numbers/codes, even after you apply them to a cruise.  Just in case..  Of course, once you cruise, or are past final payment and possibility of any refund...  then you don't need them any longer.

1 hour ago, Wishing on a star said:

You do not have to be a member...  but you have to know how to go online and click show all rewards for all of these to show up.

I believe they are sold, at 10% less than value...  $100. cards for $90.00.  $500.cards for $450.00

Remember to not lose these cards and their numbers/codes, even after you apply them to a cruise.  Just in case..  Of course, once you cruise, or are past final payment and possibility of any refund...  then you don't need them any longer.

Nope, discount has been reduced to 8%.

On 11/26/2023 at 3:24 PM, suzyed said:

Does anyone know if there is a limit to applying AARP gift cards toward payment for the the cruise?  (Not onboard...but when making final payment.)

I payed around $30k for our recent cruises and I used only Princess Gift Cards purchased through  AARP.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

They used to be available at 10%...now only 8% but that's still a significant savings based on the total cost of a cruise fare.  I have saved several hundred dollars on a single cruise.  You do NOT have to be an AARP member...just join their "Rewards" program (free for anybody).

The website is

https://www.aarp.org/rewards/discover/

You just click "Redeem" in the Rewards drop down menu, then "all rewards".  You can just type Princess Cruises in the search bar there and you should see the electronic gift cards in $100 and $500 denominations.  Each registered user can buy 5 gift cards per month of either denomination