Is this booking policy new? Is it widespread??

Drizzle66

36 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

I’m sure you’ll love the size of the balconies.  A party for 12 would be no problem!  Yes, they provide you with plenty of the motion of the ocean whilst at sea, but we do not have issues with this.  The metal front railing of the balcony is a problem for some people because it does impede your view of the sea.  Yes, it can get windy up there, so be prepared.  You have to keep your drapes drawn at night to not impact the navigation on the bridge.

If you use the facilities and the buffet on Lido then this location is ideal.  We don’t eat in the buffet, but we like to grab some cheese and crackers and other nibbles to keep in the cabin.  Longer walk to the elevators, but we don’t  mind.  On shorter cruises, 7 nights, we like these cabins.  Longer than this we prefer a mini suite.

Thanks so much for the insights!  Fortunately, we don’t mind extra ship motion and neither one of us gets sea sick easily. We also, for now, don’t mind the longer walks.   I’ve heard that some people use chair risers on their balcony chairs so they can see over the metal railing while seated.  The large balcony, and a view nearly the same as the bridge officers, is appealing to us.   

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TAW1963 said:

Thanks so much for the insights!  Fortunately, we don’t mind extra ship motion and neither one of us gets sea sick easily. We also, for now, don’t mind the longer walks.   I’ve heard that some people use chair risers on their balcony chairs so they can see over the metal railing while seated.  The large balcony, and a view nearly the same as the bridge officers, is appealing to us.   

Enjoy your Lido deck deluxe balcony!  Get back to us when you get home and let us know your thoughts.

HAPPILY, A RESOLUTION!!

I am very pleased to report that my agent was able to book the very room I wanted when I first called her.  She expressed gratitude for my sharing with her the suggestion that I've gotten from several folks through this conversation -- to begin the booking for 3 people.  And then immediately call Princess and have the 3rd passenger dropped from the booking.

At least in this case, Princess accepted that without question, and I now have EXACTLY what I wanted to start with.  I'm a very happy camper. 

But Princess' sterling reputation has lost a smidge of its luster through this. 😢 

• Like 16

12 hours ago, MJC said:

If you want to transfer the booking to your TA there is a time limit, I think 30 days? So don't take your time. Learned the hard way.

90 days. I found out when I tried to transfer a booking at 93 days. 😞 

11 hours ago, memoak said:

We sail in suites and same thing no problem choosing specific ones. Even when I sea h for balconies I see many cabins to choose from. Do I have a special personalizer ?

Are they deluxe balconies? I see tons of balconies on my ship but they aren't deluxe.

12 hours ago, MacMadame said:

90 days. I found out when I tried to transfer a booking at 93 days. 😞 

Are they deluxe balconies? I see tons of balconies on my ship but they aren't deluxe.

How many are there total on your ship ?  Could it be that they are actually booked or grabbed by a TA

• Like 1

Why jump thru hoops to get a cabin YOU desire? If I can not go on their website and see available cabins or my TA has problems reserving one then we will look at other cruise lines that make it much easier.  Princess has created a system that is cumbersome and idiotic.  Why not just let Princess know how you feel with your money going elsewhere. Instead you just condone this mes by finding workaround and justifiying this lunacy.

Edited by Potstech
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Drizzle66 said:

HAPPILY, A RESOLUTION!!

I am very pleased to report that my agent was able to book the very room I wanted when I first called her.  She expressed gratitude for my sharing with her the suggestion that I've gotten from several folks through this conversation -- to begin the booking for 3 people.  And then immediately call Princess and have the 3rd passenger dropped from the booking.

At least in this case, Princess accepted that without question, and I now have EXACTLY what I wanted to start with.  I'm a very happy camper. 

But Princess' sterling reputation has lost a smidge of its luster through this. 😢 

Congrats!  Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Potstech said:

Why jump thru hoops to get a cabin YOU desire? If I can not go on their website and see available cabins or my TA has problems reserving one then we will look at other cruise lines that make it much easier.  Princess has created a system that is cumbersome and idiotic.  Why not just let Princess know how you feel with your money going elsewhere. Instead you just condone this mes by finding workaround and justifiying this lunacy.

I agree with you in principle, however if I want one of these cabins I just tell my CVP and it’s done, no muss no fuss.  It’s literally zero extra work or stress for me.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Potstech said:

Why jump thru hoops to get a cabin YOU desire? If I can not go on their website and see available cabins or my TA has problems reserving one then we will look at other cruise lines that make it much easier.

I don't understand why Princess thinks this is a good idea.  I guess as someone mentioned, they want people in guarantees to fill their least desirable cabins, but hiding cabins from view by a paying customer just seems like a bad business idea.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

I don't understand why Princess thinks this is a good idea.  I guess as someone mentioned, they want people in guarantees to fill their least desirable cabins, but hiding cabins from view by a paying customer just seems like a bad business idea.

That its customers continue to support for some strange reason instead of saying "No more of this lunacy". Sheep to the slaughter.

Edited by Potstech
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Potstech said:

That its customers continue to support for some strange reason instead of saying "No more of this lunacy". Sheep to the slaughter.

So much drama!  Just get a CVP who can book these cabins the same as any other cabins.  No extra time or work involved.  So darn easy.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Potstech said:

So why does your profile show Princess as your favorite cruise line

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, memoak said:

So why does your profile show Princess as your favorite cruise line

Because it is. But I do not bow down to corporate lunacy. Also have recently traveled on two other cruise lines. Any other questions of a personal nature?

Edited by Potstech

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone got a CVP or higher up at PCL to explain exactly WHY they changed the booking system to prevent guests from booking Deluxe Balconies that can hold up to three people when the typical majority guest is booking for two?  I agree with the insanity term in some posts above.  No matter that a CVP or TA can accomplish it, it is just plain stupid.  They are also doing the workaround in some manner in POLAR to get it done.   I think it was documented that it also affects Minis???

• Like 1

On 11/28/2023 at 6:43 AM, SargassoPirate said:

That's how they fill those known to be less desirable cabins. Then they can "upgrade" an unsuspecting passenger into one of those cabins and then sell the newly vacant one.

This is exactly what happened to us in Jan 2022.  We got “upgraded” to a room that we truly felt was a downgrade.

On 12/20/2023 at 10:21 PM, Steelers36 said:

Has anyone got a CVP or higher up at PCL to explain exactly WHY they changed the booking system to prevent guests from booking Deluxe Balconies that can hold up to three people when the typical majority guest is booking for two?  I agree with the insanity term in some posts above.  No matter that a CVP or TA can accomplish it, it is just plain stupid.  They are also doing the workaround in some manner in POLAR to get it done.   I think it was documented that it also affects Minis???

Couldn’t agree more. Their policy of only offering guarantees is just bad public relations.

• Like 1