Christmas Present Ideas for First Time Cruisers

There is a family at church that are going on their first ever cruise during the upcoming school holidays. Mum, Dad, four boys aged 16 to 6 plus their French exchange student. The kids won’t find out until Christmas Day. 

I need to check but I think the cruise is on P&O. I’m not sure if it’s to the Pacific Islands or if it’s up the Qld coast.  As DW & I don’t have any kids of our own, we’d like to give them a Christmas present, something for the cruise.

I'm thinking snorkelling equipment or soft drink packages. Any other ideas?

1 hour ago, Sparky74 said:

There is a family at church that are going on their first ever cruise during the upcoming school holidays. Mum, Dad, four boys aged 16 to 6 plus their French exchange student. The kids won’t find out until Christmas Day. 

I need to check but I think the cruise is on P&O. I’m not sure if it’s to the Pacific Islands or if it’s up the Qld coast.  As DW & I don’t have any kids of our own, we’d like to give them a Christmas present, something for the cruise.

I'm thinking snorkelling equipment or soft drink packages. Any other ideas?

A whole of family gift or gifts for four boys and French exchange student?  I notice big families always have room for one more.   Destination would help in gift choices?

• Like 1

Why not a bright coloured cap each like below, so they can see each other in a crowd or at a distance when of the boat.

https://www.designmyhat.com.au/budget.baseball.cap.dmhhw-4096.html

I like the green ones, but red or blue would stand out well, as well.

Less the $10 each

Regards

John

Edited by Ozwoody
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

Why not a bright coloured cap each like below, so they can see each other in a crowd or at a distance when of the boat.

https://www.designmyhat.com.au/budget.baseball.cap.dmhhw-4096.html

I like the green ones, but red or blue would stand out well, as well.

Less the $10 each

Regards

John

Great idea.  Different one for parents and children.  You can never have too many beach caps!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

matching shirts from Lowe's, the type I detest. 

C'mon Mic, you and Rosie in matching 'loud' Lowes shirts is the go! 🤣

It will be compulsory to all wear matching outfits when/if we ever get the Aus/NZ CC cruise happening.

I recall the photos of the American couple who wear matching outfits every day of the cruise - a different one each day 😮

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

A whole of family gift or gifts for four boys and French exchange student?  I notice big families always have room for one more.   Destination would help in gift choices?

It’s 4 nights to Airlie Beach ex Brisbane. I’ve spoken to the mum this morning and she said that soft drink packages and snorkelling gear were both on her list to get but she’s happy for me to get either of those  😁

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, mr walker said:

C'mon Mic, you and Rosie in matching 'loud' Lowes shirts is the go! 🤣

It will be compulsory to all wear matching outfits when/if we ever get the Aus/NZ CC cruise happening.

I recall the photos of the American couple who wear matching outfits every day of the cruise - a different one each day 😮

No thank you, I did buy us matching rashies years ago, but that was more for safety in the water than ashthetics.

6 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

It’s 4 nights to Airlie Beach ex Brisbane. I’ve spoken to the mum this morning and she said that soft drink packages and snorkelling gear were both on her list to get but she’s happy for me to get either of those  😁

Good job.

You could get t shirts printed with the name of the ship and the date and perhaps The XYZ Family. And maybe a 'stocking filler' with lanyards, sunscreen, insect repellent, a small torch and magnets to either decorate the door or use in the cabin to attach paperwork (such as the daily cruise news or to list who has what activity when. I know there's the app, but sometimes it's just easier to glance at the wall!).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sparky74 said:

In that case snorkelling gear would be a lasting gift.

• Like 1

I doubt that snorkelling gear would be much use on a cruise to Airlie Beach. If the family goes on a trip to the Reef, the excursion company will have the gear that is required. I feel that snorkelling gear for four kids would be a fair bit of stuff to carry and it wouldn't be used anyway.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, buchhalm said:

Tesalite beach towels.

Easy to pack.y

Dry fast.

And that stuff repels sand. It just doesn't stick to it. 

My adult girls love them,  Good for parents but wouldn't excite children.  What about the toy face cover and snorkel?  Not heavy or big.  Could that be used in the lagoon?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I doubt that snorkelling gear would be much use on a cruise to Airlie Beach. If the family goes on a trip to the Reef, the excursion company will have the gear that is required. I feel that snorkelling gear for four kids would be a fair bit of stuff to carry and it wouldn't be used anyway.

Apparently they are doing a snorkelling excursion at Airlie Beach. While equipment might be supplied Personally I'd rather use my own than put a second hand snorkel in my mouth! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

Agreed, also the kids will grow out of it quickly, but hey, the younger kids then have gear already to  grow into.

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

I agree with reef shoes, as the cheaper ones are easily discarded after a couple of tropical cruises. 

Also a cheap inflatable lilo or the like, which will be small into luggage and optional to bring home.

If family lives in Brisbane, weight shouldn't;be a problem on a cruise ship.  

On 11/30/2023 at 6:48 AM, MicCanberra said:

And a weight limit, people are advised to keep them under 23kgs

When I first did my two half world cruises, you could take as much as you wanted.  I remember i had ten suitcases when I came home.  I shared with three other women in a four berth cabin.  When you unpacked what you wanted for the cruise, they took the ports away to store.