A Question About Labadee's Artisans' Village

Fouremco

...be prepared!  They are very 'aggressive' in their desires to get you into their booth.  My wife and I were astounded at how pushy and direct they were - getting right in front of you and doing their best to slied you into their booth.  We made it half way through (after numerous similar caustic run-ins with the vendors) then turned back...And had to do it all over to get to the beginning of the village.  

But, one Laba-doozie fixed everything...just saying...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I will second the message above. They are very aggressive and actually rude towards people. I have heard all the excuses about how poor they are and just trying to make a living. I can appreciate trying to make money but they flat out lie to get you into their "store". Most of the stuff is cheap made in china stuff and not actual hand crafted stuff. They will try putting a bracelet on saying its free then try to get you to give them money for it or carve your name into a cheap wood cup and then demand you pay for it. I have told people there is no benefit in going into that area. Some people enjoy to haggle as part of the experience. I was looking for something specific and the guy at the foot of the hill said oh he had it and then when we got to his store he did not have it and tried getting me to buy all this junk. The name of the game is to get you into their "store and then not let you leave. Some people enjoy that but I would pass in my opinion. 

• Like 1

"Artisan" is a strong word for the items available in this area, but I don't tend to buy things when I travel anyway -- don't need more clutter in my house.  

I do feel for these people, as they have little opportunity in their countries.  What wouldn't you do to make money to put food on your table, if you were in their place?  Their competition is sharp, and their time to sell is short.  

• Like 2

We only go to the building before the market.  They aren't aggressive there.  Those other vendors drive me crazy and don't even get close to their stuff.  I have noticed that the back part of that building is open and some of those vendors come there and try to lure you outside. I just ignore them.  Been there so many times I don't really have a desire anymore for what they offer.  Fun to look and then leave without being hassled.