Concerns about changes to upcoming Grandeur ports

the_dylaness

On 12/7/2023 at 6:13 PM, pappy1022 said:

, if they knew in advance that they would not be able to provide the services and itinerary that they marketed and sold then there could be a case for fraudulent representation and/or the lack of notification that the product was being altered. It all depends on when they knew and who knew it. 

Exactly!   You said “IF”.    
YOU don’t know!  You are just speculating and thinking the worst.    Whatever happened to this world?

Edited by Smitty A
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, kirtihk said:

Our friend recommended me to go to a fancy-shmency restaurant.  We pre-ordered and pre-paid (it was a very special restaurant!) Beluga caviar, filet mignon with truffles, and lamb chops with a cognac Dijon cream sauce.  Unfortunately, the restaurant couldn't proceed with our order and graciously substituted it with 2 hot dogs and a free glass of house wine per our table (their fine print stated that due to pre-ordering procedure they are not able to accommodate a refund).  I'm so mad at our friend!

Oh please!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I was just acknowledging the possibility that Regent knew about this situation ahead of time and failed to tell their customers. That would put a different light on the circumstances and what the response should be. You don’t know the facts either and we will probably never know. I am sorry if I ruffled the feathers of the cheerleaders and the “Regent can’t possibly be to blame for anything” people. Having a Pollyanna approach is living in a fairy tale and that’s not the real world. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, pappy1022 said:

I was just acknowledging the possibility that Regent knew about this situation ahead of time and failed to tell their customers. That would put a different light on the circumstances and what the response should be. You don’t know the facts either and we will probably never know. I am sorry if I ruffled the feathers of the cheerleaders and the “Regent can’t possibly be to blame for anything” people. Having a Pollyanna approach is living in a fairy tale and that’s not the real world. 

Pappy - And if I may add an additional thought to your above remarks.  For the discussion, let's give full credence to some folk's argument that in Regent's defense, they (Regent) had absolutely no advance knowledge of these potential adverse circumstances which necessitated them having to significantly alter their itinerary in such a major way.  And let's also stipulate that Regent has absolutely no LEGAL obligation (under this one-sided contract) to offer any compensation whatsoever to the affected customers or give them the permission to cancel their affected booking (after final payment was made) and to perhaps apply that money to a future cruise (remember, in some other countries they're legally required to do just that).

From a simple positive customer relations standpoint (and we're talking about a cruise line that sells itself as providing "the most luxurious, unrivaled/topnotch, blah, blah, blah experience), when something like this "unforeseen circumstance" happens their very first impulse always seems to "fall back and duck for cover" behind their own completely one-sided legal contract and offer "nothing" in the way of compensation or mitigation to "smooth over" a lot of "loyal customer" disappointments.  They ought to be working hard to build that loyalty long before one reaches "Gold/Platinum Level"

And then, after receiving hugely adverse/negative publicity (as we've seen on this board), from their first out-of-the-box "business decision" (gosh - who would have thought that would happen!?), they then (grudgingly) parse out a few extra "scraps" to try and "calm the natives"...some OBC's and FCC's 

It often feels like Regent only intends to provide that "luxury experience" AFTER their customers actually plant their first foot on deck on embarkation day.  Regards

• Like 6

On 12/7/2023 at 4:02 PM, Bruce61 said:

I am curious - how does a change in a California Regulation affecting the Los Angeles port stop relate in any way to the loss of three Mexican port stops?  That makes no sense to me.  There is something else going on.

I read through most of the thread.  A category 5 hurricane decimated Acapulco.  I think PV and Cabo were also affected but Acapulco is totally wiped out..

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/26/weather/hurricane-otis-acapulco-mexico-impact-thursday

Edited by ChatKat in Ca.

6 hours ago, pingpong1 said:

And then, after receiving hugely adverse/negative publicity (as we've seen on this board), from their first out-of-the-box "business decision" (gosh - who would have thought that would happen!?), they then (grudgingly) parse out a few extra "scraps" to try and "calm the natives"...some OBC's and FCC's 

It often feels like Regent only intends to provide that "luxury experience" AFTER their customers actually plant their first foot on deck on embarkation day.  Regards

Couldn’t agree more. This is exactly the way Regent handled our recent Istanbul to Dubai (Navigator) debacle.
They clearly are not thinking “customer first “, not looking to make “customers for life “ and do not appear to have policies and procedures in place for such situations, which appear to be happening with relative frequency. 
ADM needs to show more (some) leadership soon. I am not impressed. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

I read through most of the thread.  A category 5 hurricane decimated Acapulco.  I think PV and Cabo were also affected but Acapulco is totally wiped out..

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/26/weather/hurricane-otis-acapulco-mexico-impact-thursday

That wasn’t Regent’s explanation for why they changed the itinerary.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

Just came off of Oceania Vista LA to Miami cruise. Acapulco was cancelled due to hurricane damage. PV was substituted and no damage apparent. Cabo was fine also.

• Like 3

I googled cruise ships cancelling Mexican port visits.  It seems than many of the other lines abandoned Mexican stops in the last year or so for safety concerns.  Nothing seems real current as to a reason to do this last minute.

I am so happy to see all the activity on Cruise Critic related to the MAJOR itinerary changes on our Regent Cruise departing out of MIAMI on December 21st. I totally agree with most of you on a MAJOR disappointment with $500 room credit. Oh, a credit towards a future cruise! Oh goody! NOT. We prebook our cruises two or more years so we can get cabins we want. With all the restrictions they have put on the 20% credit towards a future cruise, there is no way we can use it. I say the credit should be booked in the next two years and good for cruises 3 years out! Or let us use the credit on an existing cruise we have booked. We have a back-to-back booked for April 2024. Let us put the credit on this future cruise.

We have had a family home in PV for over thirty years. Oh Goody! We get to go to PV? NO!!!!!! We were just there two weeks ago for two weeks.  An extra night in Los Angeles! Oh Goody! We lived in the Los Angeles area for over 30 years. We really wanted to go to Ensenada as we were there several years ago and had a great wine tasting experience. We also really wanted to see Acapulco. We have never been there. The changes are clearly done for the economics of Regent. They are going to have a lot of us complaining on the ship! We have taken several Regent trips before but are leaning more and more towards Oceania. We have taken five Oceania trips in the last couple years and really enjoyed them. You might want to check them out. They seem to be able to stay on their scheduled itineraries pretty well from our experience. 

I also find almost all tours fully booked by the time we are allowed to book a shore excursion. They say shore excursions are included, but they need to put a big astricts on that one! Shore excursions included if you book a fancy suite. Nothing available if you are only paying $1000 a night each for the cruise. I also am still waiting to see what exciting excursions will be available for us lowly suite occupants in PV and Los Angeles! I have a feeling NOTHING of any value by the time they let us choose our tours. This tour booking wasn't a big problem on our previous Regent cruises. Unlimited Tours. NOT!

This whole itinerary mess is making me question why we have booked cruises on Regent. Moving over to Oceania and abandoning Regent is starting to look more of a probability. I know they are both NCL owned, but you should get what you pay for! I am not feeling like we are getting it on Regent at this point. REGENT! I would love to see your response to my comments! I WAS A GOOD CUSTOMER. NOT FEELING THE LOVE AT THIS POINT!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jssinc said:

I am so happy to see all the activity on Cruise Critic related to the MAJOR itinerary changes on our Regent Cruise departing out of MIAMI on December 21st. I totally agree with most of you on a MAJOR disappointment with $500 room credit. Oh, a credit towards a future cruise! Oh goody! NOT. We prebook our cruises two or more years so we can get cabins we want. With all the restrictions they have put on the 20% credit towards a future cruise, there is no way we can use it. I say the credit should be booked in the next two years and good for cruises 3 years out! Or let us use the credit on an existing cruise we have booked. We have a back-to-back booked for April 2024. Let us put the credit on this future cruise.

We have had a family home in PV for over thirty years. Oh Goody! We get to go to PV? NO!!!!!! We were just there two weeks ago for two weeks.  An extra night in Los Angeles! Oh Goody! We lived in the Los Angeles area for over 30 years. We really wanted to go to Ensenada as we were there several years ago and had a great wine tasting experience. We also really wanted to see Acapulco. We have never been there. The changes are clearly done for the economics of Regent. They are going to have a lot of us complaining on the ship! We have taken several Regent trips before but are leaning more and more towards Oceania. We have taken five Oceania trips in the last couple years and really enjoyed them. You might want to check them out. They seem to be able to stay on their scheduled itineraries pretty well from our experience. 

I also find almost all tours fully booked by the time we are allowed to book a shore excursion. They say shore excursions are included, but they need to put a big astricts on that one! Shore excursions included if you book a fancy suite. Nothing available if you are only paying $1000 a night each for the cruise. I also am still waiting to see what exciting excursions will be available for us lowly suite occupants in PV and Los Angeles! I have a feeling NOTHING of any value by the time they let us choose our tours. This tour booking wasn't a big problem on our previous Regent cruises. Unlimited Tours. NOT!

This whole itinerary mess is making me question why we have booked cruises on Regent. Moving over to Oceania and abandoning Regent is starting to look more of a probability. I know they are both NCL owned, but you should get what you pay for! I am not feeling like we are getting it on Regent at this point. REGENT! I would love to see your response to my comments! I WAS A GOOD CUSTOMER. NOT FEELING THE LOVE AT THIS POINT!

I don’t personally know this, but I thought some mentioned they did use their fcc on an already booked cruise.  May want to check it out when onboard later this month. 

Just to clarify, you can use your FCC on any cruise not already fully paid.  We've spoken to our TA and are able to apply it to our already booked 2024 cruise.  This has been discussed several times above, so that is one less thing to worry about.  

Am I happy about having 9 sea days out of 16?  No, not at all.  But I don't want our trip marred by lots of negativity and complaining about it. My husband and I are planning to make the best of a situation which is not what we originally chose and paid for, but here it is. 

• Like 7

On 12/7/2023 at 10:28 AM, Pcardad said:

As I have been saying for years...Regent does the right thing in the end. Sometimes, you just need to be patient and let the situation play out.

Wrong they do not and didn’t on the holy land cruise not the NZ cruise (which was 100% thier fault). You can defend the contract all you want but it is bad business and it will cost regent in the end.  

• Like 1

On 12/8/2023 at 6:01 PM, pappy1022 said:

And you should have high expectations for a cruise line that touts itself as “the world’s most luxurious fleet, unrivaled experiences, top notch experiences since 1992”, etc. Hey, I enjoy cruising with Regent and for the most part they do a good job. But sometimes they just screw up and this cruise feels like one of those times.

Seems like they have been screwing up more often than not these days

6 minutes ago, Lonedaddy said:

Wrong they do not and didn’t on the holy land cruise not the NZ cruise (which was 100% thier fault). You can defend the contract all you want but it is bad business and it will cost regent in the end.  

That's your opinion and, no doubt, others agree with you. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lonedaddy said:

Seems like they have been screwing up more often than not these days

I interact with all the major cruises and there are issues across the board. Where I spend $$$ should indicate what I think about them and how they stack up. I would encourage everyone to vote with their wallets.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bitob said:

As my ta says 

there is regent, and then there are all the rest

hes at the grandeur christening right now

The TA's and high-volume (i.e., "big bucks") Regent customers obviously have "skin in the game".  They are not exactly "un-biased 3rd parties".  But from what I've seen and read over the years on CC, the "high-volume Regent cruisers" who have many past and future cruises booked at any given time have a very different viewpoint than does the "once-in-a-lifetime cruisers" who have spent years saving up for that "one special Regent cruise.

The former group generally says, "Oh well, if this cruise is terrible there's always the next one"!  The latter group feels hurt, disappointed, and very angry.  The term might be, "Ripped off".  And telling the latter group, "Oh well, things happen", offers no solace or comfort to them whatsoever.  Gold and Platinum's aren't going to be dissuaded from future Regent cruising.  But Bronzes and Silvers just might.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bitob said:

As my ta says 

there is regent, and then there are all the rest

hes at the grandeur christening right now

What does that have to with anything? I don’t know the reasons why Regent is having more of the “what the heck” moments in recent times, along with inconsistent service and food as reported by many passengers including some long timers. Maybe Regent is joining all the rest cruise lines. 

My ta has sailed on every cruise line. 
it took me 20 plus cruises before I tried regent 

I do not have status and I also sail silversea and seabourn. We are still itinerary driven from time to time 

but I do agree. Regent is the best of them 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, pappy1022 said:

What does that have to with anything? I don’t know the reasons why Regent is having more of the “what the heck” moments in recent times, along with inconsistent service and food as reported by many passengers including some long timers. Maybe Regent is joining all the rest cruise lines. 

Hope your anger doesn’t spoil your cruise

• Haha 2

Please note, I just got the FCC $ amount offered for the Dec 21 (Miami cruise) credited towards an already fully paid for cruise booked on Regent for April 2024! I just got the paper work showing the full FCC amount is being credited back to my credit card! I don't have to buy another cruise in the next year etc. The paperwork they gave us states the FCC has to be used on a new cruise booking, but Regent is folding under the pressure of disappointed cruisers! For those fully booked out many years like us, get that FCC credited to a cruise already booked! Good luck!

• Like 4