Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, and Cunard cruisers trying Carnival for the first time.....

SPacificbound

Over the past 10 years we have done a lot of cruising with RCCL, Celebrity and Cunard. 

We've come to a point that the whole flying to port cities to get to a cruise has gotten to be too much of a hassle. That leaves us with Galveston which is an hour away.

I have booked a B2B with RCCL Jewel for November 2024, and somewhat of a consecutive cruise with Carnival Miracle for 11 nights, then directly to NCL Prima for 14 nights January 2025.

So tell me about Carnival, and especially about Carnival Miracle. I will appreciate all constructive comments.

I've sailed on Cunard and Carnival.  They are vastly different experiences.  But what I can say is that each line knows what its passengers want.  On Cunard, it is formality and luxury.  On Carnival it is fun.  You should have a good time, but I think you'd like the Jubilee better.

• Like 3

I love Miracle, but it really depends on your expectations. 

If decor is important to you, Miracle might traumatize you (just kidding but she is super gaudy and a bit outdated).  I only care that a ship is clean and well maintained, so I can appreciate the character.

It is a mid-sized ship, so doesn't have things like sky rides and roller coasters that are offered on newer/bigger Carnival ships.

I like the layout on Miracle - it didn't feel near as crowded to me as some.

It's more traditional and doesn't have all extra dining venues (at no cost) and entertainment that the Excel class ships do.

For future cruises have you considered Jubilee out of Galveston?  Although I like Miracle just fine, we prefer the Excel class, so that would probably be my first choice, but it's really just personal preference.  

Edited by csm5986142
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, SPacificbound said:

Thank you all for helpful comments! 

Be interested in hearing your thoughts if you sail upon your return.  Picking a 20 year old ship as a trial against two luxury lines is an interesting choice.  This comes from someone who  LOVES and sails Carnival all the time.

• Like 3

Yeah, this all depends a lot on why you have chosen the lines you prefer, and then what about those onboard experiences specifically works for you. 

I haven't ever tried Cunard, but I can tell you that Royal and Celebrity take really nice care of their ships and even somewhat older ships - i.e. 10-20 years old, look great. I sailed Oasis when she was 9 years old, and a year before her 2019 renovation, and I thought the ship looked almost brand new. I remember some visible wear on some of the gorgeous leather furniture in one lounge, which to me, leather is a natural material that ages nicely anyway. Otherwise the ship could have been six months old.  We sailed Adventure when she was 18, and while I prefer the Oasis size and layout, Adventure likewise looked spectacular, sleek, modern, excellent condition. 

Carnival has a deserved reputation for the ships looking rode hard and put away wet. Which they are, right? They're wet all the time! But the fact is, visible rust is not uncommon, things like degrading door trim in the bathrooms, dated decor, grunge in the corners of the balconies, etc.  They clean daily and maintenance guys are often touching up paint but they just do not stay as immaculate as higher end lines.  This bothers A LOT of passengers, enough so that Carnival is, rightly so, not the cruise line for them. Of course newer ships have less of this issue, so the new Jubilee coming to Galveston should be looking snazzy for a while. Having sailed Mardi Gras on her 2nd voyage, she reminded me more of a Royal ship design than a Carnival ship design.

Also, Carnival tends to put more passengers per ton onto the ships so they can feel somewhat more crowded, though the ships are designed to handle that, and it has never been an issue.

Last you have to know that because of the price point and casual vibe, your typical Carnival cruiser, especially during school break times, is your local Walmart shopper, not your typical country club member.  Before I get all hollered at for that, it's me!  It's the common everyday American, across the gamut, who sails this cruise line. Most people behave themselves just fine but this cruise line was created to bring cruises to the masses.

• Like 3

The best way i can put it is i will only book 4+ star hotels online.  But i feel the 5 star hotels dont deliver an experience i value for the cost incurred.  

And i enjoy Carnival. (and the other lines i've cruised) 

The older ships are definitely a different experience across the board.  But if your glass is half full i'm sure you'll have fun.   a bad day at sea is better that a good day at the office! 🙂 

• Like 1

The Miracle was my first Carnival cruise ship, as a solo in 2009. I loved the ship. It is the perfect size IMO. Large enough to have amenities for many tastes, yet easy to find your way around and not as huge as the newer ships (this is especially an advantage when in tender ports). The decor is eye-popping; I like to think of it as festive! 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

Also, Carnival tends to put more passengers per ton onto the ships so they can feel somewhat more crowded, though the ships are designed to handle that, and it has never been an issue.

Offsetting the greater percentage per ton of passengers is the fact that without such things as bumper car tracks or flow riders, there is plenty of open public space on Miracle’s upper decks, furnished with loungers—in shade and sun. So, if you don’t insist on being right around one of the pools you’ll not have trouble finding a quiet place to relax on deck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, carol louise said:

Offsetting the greater percentage per ton of passengers is the fact that without such things as bumper car tracks or flow riders, there is plenty of open public space on Miracle’s upper decks, furnished with loungers—in shade and sun. So, if you don’t insist on being right around one of the pools you’ll not have trouble finding a quiet place to relax on deck.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. All the complaints about chair hogs - mostly are applicable to the poolside chairs full of towels and swim gear where it's boisterous anyway.  I do find plenty of places on the top deck to get comfy, or to manufacture Vitamin D in the open for 30 minutes, and almost every morning I am up before dawn, I find the one coffee pot open in the buffet, fix myself 2 cups and find a lounger / covered patio couch to watch the fiery orb make her glorious debut. 

Personally the crowds on Carnival have never been an issue for me, though Punchliner shows do regularly fill up which can be frustrating for some. 

19 hours ago, SPacificbound said:

Over the past 10 years we have done a lot of cruising with RCCL, Celebrity and Cunard. 

We've come to a point that the whole flying to port cities to get to a cruise has gotten to be too much of a hassle. That leaves us with Galveston which is an hour away.

I have booked a B2B with RCCL Jewel for November 2024, and somewhat of a consecutive cruise with Carnival Miracle for 11 nights, then directly to NCL Prima for 14 nights January 2025.

So tell me about Carnival, and especially about Carnival Miracle. I will appreciate all constructive comments.

Perhaps you already saw this on the boards, but handy that a Carnival cruiser is doing not one, not two, but 4 back to back cruises right now on Miracle!  

***ALSO TO ADD to my earlier lengthy post, for me / us / our family, the considerable hassle of travel to port is always a bigger problem for us than the name on the side of a cruise ship.  We arrive to port exhausted and cranky every time, and at the other end we arrive home exhausted and cranky.

We have never had a bad cruise and would happily take 2 or 3 per year if we were close to ANY port, probably would never again consider any port that we had to fly to, even if it meant only sailing Carnival's oldest ship to the same ports every single time.

Anyway great review, still in progress, if you want a loyal Carnival customer perspective in detail on this ship. You can also ask him to research questions for you if you like. 

Edited by KmomChicago
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, KmomChicago said:

Perhaps you already saw this on the boards, but handy that a Carnival cruiser is doing not one, not two, but 4 back to back cruises right now on Miracle!  

He’s on Magic, not Miracle.  
I’ve sailed a lot of lines, and few have decor as memorable as the ships by Joe Farcus.  His last Carnival ship was Magic, and I realized there was nothing memorable about it.  It was dull.  
  The feature I like on Spirit class is the interior promenade forward on deck 3.  It wraps around the bow, and there is seating where you can sit by the large round windows and watch the ocean go by.  Many people never discover it, but it good for getting away.  On Miracle it is Gatsby’s Garden.  On Spirit it is The Jungle…and full of giraffes.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Essiesmom said:

He’s on Magic, not Miracle.  
I’ve sailed a lot of lines, and few have decor as memorable as the ships by Joe Farcus.  His last Carnival ship was Magic, and I realized there was nothing memorable about it.  It was dull.  
  The feature I like on Spirit class is the interior promenade forward on deck 3.  It wraps around the bow, and there is seating where you can sit by the large round windows and watch the ocean go by.  Many people never discover it, but it good for getting away.  On Miracle it is Gatsby’s Garden.  On Spirit it is The Jungle…and full of giraffes.  

Oh crap button!! You are totally right @Essiesmom, thank you!! I honestly read Magic in my brain when I read the OP though you are correct, it's Miracle. 

Okay, so @SPacificbound; Spirit class is almost the oldest and smallest Carnival ship class left, lots of balconies which was a great upgrade, and I agree, the aft wraparound walkway is a magical little hidden corridor (we were on Legend). 

And as Essies mom notes, the last of the Farcus ships are like nothing man or beast will ever see again, and they will not be around forever. If you can handle the crazy, garish, occasionally psychadelic overtones, you should try one at least once.  

But to tell the 100% truth, Spirit class ships also may fit my earlier message about looking aged and dated and a bit shabby compared to other lines and newer ships. They are also a bit on the dark side for my taste, but they are a fascinating time capsule of unique design.  Everything on RCI and the newer Carnival ships is what I call, "beigefied," the current bland yet pleasing aesthetic of all architecture of the 21st centrury.  I am not sure you can say you have experienced the full range of cruise offerings without one Farcus ship!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Be interested in hearing your thoughts if you sail upon your return.  Picking a 20 year old ship as a trial against two luxury lines is an interesting choice.  This comes from someone who  LOVES and sails Carnival all the time.

My guess is it's because miracle has some longer cruises. Dream was doing longer and now seems to be miracle. I'm in the camp for longer cruises. The jewel she mentioned is also older and tiny but is doing a 10 and 11 day b2b out of texas a lot are doing. Ok I looked her up. Might be smaller than miracle? This is the b2b op has booked. 

20231209_163456839.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

My guess is it's because miracle has some longer cruises. Dream was doing longer and now seems to be miracle. I'm in the camp for longer cruises. The jewel she mentioned is also older and tiny but is doing a 10 and 11 day b2b out of texas a lot are doing. Ok I looked her up. Might be smaller than miracle? This is the b2b op has booked. 

20231209_163456839.jpeg

You are correct, longer cruise and small ship!

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

20231209_163456839.jpeg

Do not get me wrong, I love them also.  That said, long way between Cunard and the Miracle.  

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

Do not get me wrong, I love them also.  That said, long way between Cunard and the Miracle.  

And jewel. If OP likes jewel then they might like miracle. Jewel has no bells and whistles, not even a promenade. It's all glass and windows to the ocean. 

• Like 2

Aloha. Have been blessed to cruise since 1971 and have sailed the world on various lines and ships.  We tried Carnin the early 1990s and my wife will never sail with them again. I have with my brother in law several times and we had great times and I would do it again but am seriously apprehensive.  I am concerned about the rowdy crowds, the smell of weed which I personally abhor, excessive drunken passengers and the fights. Now that is only my opinion but remain open minded but since it is my money I have the right to my opinion. I know cruising has changed on all the lines and have personally experienced it but I just don’t know.