So upset with Oceania

pmatawan

4 minutes ago, Cruising Maryland said:

They will take the luggage to Miami, But for me, they won't pick it back  up in Rio

Please be advised that for LUGGAGE FORWARD, all turn ports can be shipped to with the exception of the following ports listed below; 

Ports Where Service is Currently Unavailable

Country

Port

Argentina

Buenos Aires

Argentina

Ushuaia

Brazil

Rio de Janeiro

Colombia

Cartagena (Colombia)

Dominican Republic

La Romana

India

Mumbai

Indonesia

Benoa (Bali)

Malaysia

Port Klang

Peru

Callao

Taiwan

Keelung

Taiwan

Kaohsiung

On the Luggage Forward website, www.luggageforward.com it does state (if any of the above listed restricted ports are selected) that it is a destination with restricted service so it won’t allow you to book the service online.

So sorry. Wish I had better news 

Warm Regards,

Oceania Cruises

7665 Corporate Center Drive | Miami FL 33126

thumbnail?appid=AolMailNorrin&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=3

For me, the issue is not that Oceania or Luggage Forward is refusing or unable to provide this service.   My complaint is that (1) I continue to receive communications that this service will be provided (2) we were provided this incentive as an enticement to book a Grand Voyage.  If Oceania is unable to provided the advertised incentive (the rules for Brazil are not new) there should be appropriate compensation.   Failure to provide that compensation falls under "false advertising" and "bait and switch" business practices.   Also, compensation should be fair and equal for all of their customers.

4 minutes ago, basor said:

Thank you for clarifying - I believe you have at least 2 free bags weighing 50 lbs each when traveling internationally, even in economy, so hopefully that helps with packing for your flight back from Brazil.

I've not seen airlines willing to take a piece of luggage that is 50lbs without additional charges even on an international flight.   My experience has been 23 to 26lbs.   

4 minutes ago, susanrc said:

I've not seen airlines willing to take a piece of luggage that is 50lbs without additional charges even on an international flight.   My experience has been 23 to 26lbs.   

My mistake.   I got my lbs and kgs mixed up.   It is 2, 50lbs bags.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, susanrc said:

Interesting as we have traveled internationally on American, United, Delta, BA and they all have 50 lbs max for economy and some have 70 ibs for business class.  Just checked Delta, United and American and still have 50lbs for free checked bag eight limit, even domestically

Here is an example for Delta in economy traveling Rio back to NYC with no status:

Outbound

GIG - NYC

1st Bag

Free (50lbs/23kg
62in/158cms)

It is the same for United and American ....perhaps you are thinking kilos instead of pounds as 23 kilos equals 50 lbs

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, basor said:

Interesting as we have traveled internationally on American, United, Delta, BA and they all have 50 lbs max for economy and some have 70 ibs for business class.  Just checked Delta, United and American and still have 50lbs for free checked bag eight limit, even domestically

Here is an example for Delta in economy traveling Rio back to NYC with no status:

Outbound

GIG - NYC

1st Bag

Free (50lbs/23kg
62in/158cms)

It is the same for United and American ....perhaps you are thinking kilos instead of pounds as 23 kilos equals 50 lbs

For business class, I always get two bags included at 70 lbs max each. I’ve never needed the second bag, but 140 lbs of stuff is a lot of stuff. Perhaps an assessment of what’s being taken is in order.

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, susanrc said:

For me, the issue is not that Oceania or Luggage Forward is refusing or unable to provide this service.   My complaint is that (1) I continue to receive communications that this service will be provided (2) we were provided this incentive as an enticement to book a Grand Voyage.  If Oceania is unable to provided the advertised incentive (the rules for Brazil are not new) there should be appropriate compensation.   Failure to provide that compensation falls under "false advertising" and "bait and switch" business practices.   Also, compensation should be fair and equal for all of their customers.

I can see how “unpleasant” the issue has become to you even though you realize that it isn’t Oceania who sets the rules. But personally, I wouldn’t use all my resources, lawyers including, to fight for a better compensation. The difference wouldn’t be significant enough compared with what I paid for my vacation but the obsession would definitely affect my enjoyment of the cruise. When we travel all kind of things happen and not always everything works as advertised. We often just let it go as it is and continue to be happy with all other aspects of our travels.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, susanrc said:

How much are you shooting for?

Edited by EJL2023

On 8/15/2024 at 2:51 PM, ORV said:

It was United that sent my bag to Anchorage, and only the 3rd time I've ever flown on them as they generally don't go in the right direction for connections from my home airport, until recently, now they have daily flights to IAH, they didn't then. In all fairness the guy checking in my bag was new and there was another person with my last name, (common) he was going to Anchorage. I'm sure he was as unhappy as I was when he got there.

Which is why you ALWAYS look at both the tag before/as it is being put on your suitcase AND you look at the receipts you are given.  Does the claim check have your locator.  Does it match your destination.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, basor said:

Thank you for clarifying - I believe you have at least 2 free bags weighing 50 lbs each when traveling internationally, even in economy, so hopefully that helps with packing for your flight back from Brazil.

Please don't accept this "two at 50".  There is no blanket answer.  Completely depends on routing and airlines involved.

Maybe it was that way for a flight YOU took, but things vary.

3 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Please don't accept this "two at 50".  There is no blanket answer.  Completely depends on routing and airlines involved.

Maybe it was that way for a flight YOU took, but things vary.

Of course - each airline is different and bags vary by class of service booked, airline status, credit card used and each person must check for each itinerary but as a general rule you are allowed 50 lbs internationally - just replying to the answer that it had always been 23-25 lbs (and after I pointed out that was kilos, the OP agreed that they had posted kilos)...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, osandomir said:

I can see how “unpleasant” the issue has become to you even though you realize that it isn’t Oceania who sets the rules. But personally, I wouldn’t use all my resources, lawyers including, to fight for a better compensation. The difference wouldn’t be significant enough compared with what I paid for my vacation but the obsession would definitely affect my enjoyment of the cruise. When we travel all kind of things happen and not always everything works as advertised. We often just let it go as it is and continue to be happy with all other aspects of our travels.

My husband likes to say that I'm high maintenance - but I'm willing to pay for it.   Also, if I pay for something I expect to get it.   

Things do not always go to plan.  This is particularly true in travel.   However, the mark of a quality company is not one where nothing ever goes wrong, but one that recovers and performs well when things do go wrong.

1 hour ago, EJL2023 said:

At this point I'd be glad to end all of this by just being compensated the same as others on this forum have been for the same issue

Just now, susanrc said:

At this point I'd be glad to end all of this by just being compensated the same as others on this forum have been for the same issue

And that was not nearly enough. To be fair, Oceania should pass the savings of not providing the service back to the customer....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EJL2023 said:

My whole thing is that they are offering a service perk, not sure if it is free for everybody, bbut it is free for me as part of the Grand Cruise, The ability to have extra luggage is important. My cruise is 50 days and goes from Miami, down to Antarcticaand back up to Rio, so it requires a large amount of clothes of all different weights. I just want what i being promised to me which is luggage shipped to and from the ship to my house. Oceania and Luggage First have sent me emails that say you don't have to worry about your luggage. You can ship 2 50lb suitcases from your house to the ship and back from the ship to your home. That is what is advertised and promised. If you can't do it, don't offer it. 

Edited by Cruising Maryland
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Which is why you ALWAYS look at both the tag before/as it is being put on your suitcase AND you look at the receipts you are given.  Does the claim check have your locator.  Does it match your destination.

You are 200% correct and it was a lesson learned and now always applied. 

On 8/23/2024 at 4:22 PM, pinotlover said:

For business class, I always get two bags included at 70 lbs max each. I’ve never needed the second bag, but 140 lbs of stuff is a lot of stuff. Perhaps an assessment of what’s being taken is in order.

I read here on CC about a woman who took 13 pairs of shoes on a 7 day cruise. No joke.

• Haha 1

Before departure make two piles.

One pile with all items to pack.

A second smaller pile with all payment types, cards, cash, cheques, currencies, etc.

Double the second pile.

Reduce the first pile by half.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 8/23/2024 at 9:48 PM, Cruising Maryland said:

My whole thing is that they are offering a service perk, not sure if it is free for everybody, bbut it is free for me as part of the Grand Cruise, The ability to have extra luggage is important. My cruise is 50 days and goes from Miami, down to Antarcticaand back up to Rio, so it requires a large amount of clothes of all different weights. I just want what i being promised to me which is luggage shipped to and from the ship to my house. Oceania and Luggage First have sent me emails that say you don't have to worry about your luggage. You can ship 2 50lb suitcases from your house to the ship and back from the ship to your home. That is what is advertised and promised. If you can't do it, don't offer it. 

I called and spoke with Oceania.   (First I have to say that if you call and end up talking to a representative named Sophia, hang up unless you like talking to people who are flip with you about your situation.   Her attitude was the worst I've encountered with any cruise line.)    One piece of information I did get was that Luggage Forward is offering to pick up our luggage in Montevideo, Uruguay.   This is the last port before we get to Brazil.   There are still 10 days left to our cruise at that point.   However, from Montevideo forward, we should expect only warm weather.    So it is an opportunity to at least pack up and send any cold weather stuff home.   Not ideal.    But I've had a rough couple of months with other stuff and I'm tired of fighting this whole thing.   

2 hours ago, susanrc said:

I called and spoke with Oceania.   (First I have to say that if you call and end up talking to a representative named Sophia, hang up unless you like talking to people who are flip with you about your situation.   Her attitude was the worst I've encountered with any cruise line.)    One piece of information I did get was that Luggage Forward is offering to pick up our luggage in Montevideo, Uruguay.   This is the last port before we get to Brazil.   There are still 10 days left to our cruise at that point.   However, from Montevideo forward, we should expect only warm weather.    So it is an opportunity to at least pack up and send any cold weather stuff home.   Not ideal.    But I've had a rough couple of months with other stuff and I'm tired of fighting this whole thing.   

I just got off the phone with Luggage Forward and with Oceania.   Turns out Sophia was having me on.   Luggage Forward does not deal with Uruguay.    So, the service with Oceania and Luggage Forward is one direction only. 

15 minutes ago, susanrc said:

I just got off the phone with Luggage Forward and with Oceania.   Turns out Sophia was having me on.   Luggage Forward does not deal with Uruguay.    So, the service with Oceania and Luggage Forward is one direction only. 

Check with the Airline you are flying back. Turns out I can check 2 bags of 70 lbs each coming back. So that helps. When I booked the cruise, it is a Grand Cruise, and the "sale" at that time was business class air is included on the cruise. That helps a lot. Now the Problem I have is that we have an hour and 15 minutes coming back to get through customs as JFK and our flight to DC. I don't think that is enough time. 

2 hours ago, Cruising Maryland said:

Check with the Airline you are flying back. Turns out I can check 2 bags of 70 lbs each coming back. So that helps. When I booked the cruise, it is a Grand Cruise, and the "sale" at that time was business class air is included on the cruise. That helps a lot. Now the Problem I have is that we have an hour and 15 minutes coming back to get through customs as JFK and our flight to DC. I don't think that is enough time. 

It certainly is “not enough time.” Did you book your air through O? If they refuse to change your flight to at least a 3 hour layover on any intercontinental routing AND O didn’t sell you a “bulk ticket,” you may be able to change the flight with the airline directly.

17 hours ago, susanrc said:

This just reaffirms what many regulars have said for years. For the most part when you call a customer service representative you may or may not get correct information. This is why it’s so important to use a knowledgeable Travel Agent. But I’m not going to beat my head against the wall trying to convince anyone of this. You either get it or you don’t. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ORV said:

This just reaffirms what many regulars have said for years. For the most part when you call a customer service representative you may or may not get correct information. This is why it’s so important to use a knowledgeable Travel Agent. But I’m not going to beat my head against the wall trying to convince anyone of this. You either get it or you don’t. 

You would think that were true.   However, my Travel Agent made several calls as well and also got conflicting information.   Her first call to Oceania confirmed that we had luggage service in both directions.   I like using a travel agent.   However, when a situation is out of the normal and becomes an issue, all bets are off.

At this point, I'm tired of the whole thing.   I'm just going to pack conservatively and handle my own luggage.

6 hours ago, susanrc said:

You would think that were true.   However, my Travel Agent made several calls as well and also got conflicting information.   Her first call to Oceania confirmed that we had luggage service in both directions.   I like using a travel agent.   However, when a situation is out of the normal and becomes an issue, all bets are off.

At this point, I'm tired of the whole thing.   I'm just going to pack conservatively and handle my own luggage.

I think ORV's definition of a knowledgeable TA is that instead of calling O, they would either know or find out from Luggage Forward that LF does not ship from Brazil. The problem is that you don't know your TA is lacking certain knowledge until something like this happens.

That said, it is poor service from O to not have this information readily available (e.g., "this service is not available in the following ports:..")

Edited by AMHuntFerry
  • Like 1