'Twas Two Weeks Before Christmas - Live from the Nieuw Statendam, Dec. 10 - 17, 2023

POA1

I'm going to cheat and copy/paste the wines from the list. It's easier than trying to split screen on my phone so I can type from the list while looking at the wine list.

Although I am taking a short cut here, please know that I care, about you, my dedicated research colleague.

The wine we had while deciding which wines to order:

Le Grand Courtage Brut Rosé. This Champagne runs $13.

With Michelle's escargot, I paired the Pascal Jolivet Sancerre 
Sauvage, Loire Valley $24

My crab bisque's wine buddy was Domaine Houchart 
"Sainte Victoire"  
Côtes de Provence, a $12 rosé.

I asked our waiter, Frank, for a suggestion to go with the foie gras. He went off-list and chose Sokol Blosser Evolution #9 Pinot Noir. Very nice pinot, but would not have been my first choice of pairings. But, ask for the pairing, live with your choice, I always say. The Pinot Noir was covered by the EBP. I'm not sure of the price. The lady loves her some Oregon pinot, so all's well.

Our entrées got Chateau du Trignon, Côtes du Rhone. I feel like we're in a rut with this $12 red, but it's good at its job.

Edited by POA1
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Club Orange dining room is pretty quiet at 8:00 AM. Perhaps the HAL Orange Party crowd was raging late last night?

Who am I kidding? It's the last sea day. People sleep in. Not these people. We do, however, nap.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Bloody Mary for Ma'am Michelle. Chateau Ste. Michelle Brut for Sir Brian.

17026249881921.thumb.jpg.ab7a23e7b8b1d536a36e4873f555e554.jpg

Bloody Mary. You can't drink all day if you don't get an early start!

17026249880880.thumb.jpg.560eef77a7e8d28db1c8fbb8deee1a7d.jpg

"Deconstructed" Mimosa - I don't like my champagne adulterated.

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

post-card-2023-12-15-Sea-Day.jpg

It's our second and final sea day. Just another reason to dislike these 7 day sailings!

We have important business to take care of today. We haven't had any gelato yet. Heck. we haven't even been in the Lido.  Michelle wants to try the chocolate espresso martini from the Royal Dutch Cafe.

She also thinks a milkshake, paired with the fries from the Royal Dutch Cafe would be good together.  It's this kind of innovative thinking that makes her such a valuable research scientist.

Map-2023-12-15-Sea-Day-Lg.jpg

• Like 8
  • Haha 4

Previously in the Club Orange dining room...

Michelle had the buttermilk pancakes with the ginger butter from the buckwheat cakes. She added a side of two eggs, over easy.

17026295604993.thumb.jpg.6f1f6792fd29d6ce40f500ce1eda0497.jpg

I had the banana bread French toast with a side of corned beef hash, hold the pico de gallo. I had them "crisp" the banana bread. It's the little touches that one finds in the Bubble.

17026295605504.thumb.jpg.53be700908883e8967ab3b1be6a35c26.jpg

Edited by POA1
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

We are doing our traditional caviar tonight at 5:00 in the Pinnacle Grill. Dinner will be in Club Orange, but Tudor, the PG manager hooked us up with a time slot. It will be our Christmas gift to one another. We don't have to wrap it and we already have everything we need.

It's a gorgeous day up in the Retreat Area and I'm trying to keep awake. I rarely have carbs for breakfast, so the banana bread has made me sleepy.

17026314377405.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Some thoughts on Sel de Mer -

The food was impressive. If the Chef Rudi's death cult is wrong, we will probably eat there again.

The restaurant looks like it's been booked quite full most every night. The least full night was embarkation day. The manager, Radqmir, does a good job.

I think that the restaurant would benefit from a few extra assistant waiters though. There is nothing wrong with the service, but it's not as snappy as it could be.

One thing that was really odd was the number of people ordering their filets butterflied and well done. Our proteins came out out right on temp, but a fair number of people sent theirs back. (We are a medium rare people.)

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the `its always good to be cruising' posts.  Keep `em coming.

In your `research' ... have you noticed any new brands (alcohol).  While on a November cruise we had asked about drink menus but were told they were in the process of being changed/updated with new suppliers/promoters ... and new price points.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, POA1 said:

Tonight's dinner menu. Since it's a formal night, both Club Orange and the MDR will be running on the same menu, the Gold Gala.

m13-day13_-_mdr_gala_gold_00000_updated.png

If you are contemplating your orders, the sunchoke soup was a surprise hit for me last week. Very flavorful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, POA1 said:

I forgot to post this with the Skyride images. It's the safety signage on all the landings on the Skyride stairs.

17025757327173.thumb.jpg.efee7f919250cf1f509ac29dc210d846.jpg

Apparently if you fall, you are supposed to deploy razzle dazzle jazz hands.

poor "Stick Man" ....

https://www.chroniclebooks.com/products/stick-man-s-really-bad-day

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, BetsyS. said:

Brian - Thanks for all your reports and pictures. Michelle and Poohby Joe look great! Could you please ask Michelle to take a picture of you to post for us? 

Enjoy your sea day! 😊

Will do!

• Like 2

Just now, Let It Go said:

In your `research' ... have you noticed any new brands (alcohol).  While on a November cruise we had asked about drink menus but were told they were in the process of being changed/updated with new suppliers/promoters ... and new price points.

I'll see if I can scare up a liquor list. I'm interested myself. It's been five years since we last cruised. My knowledge of what is new is not going to be much help m

• Like 2

Just now, Let It Go said:

Sometimes your research hypothesis hits a dead end. It did in this case. There is no master list for distribution. If this were a longer cruise, I'd happily run around the ship and scan all the special drink menus from the various venues. Unfortunately our research grant only covers seven days of time in the field.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Haljo1935 said:

Tudor in the PG is fabulous - he is a great representation of the service we have come to love (and expect) from HAL. 

So glad to hear that Tudor is still on the NS.  We've enjoyed him on a couple cruises -- love his humor!

When DH told him it was our 50th anniversary cruise, he turned to me and asked with a straight face "And how many years for you?"

Brian @POA1 I probably missed it, but I'm wondering if Captain O'Driscoll is Captain?  

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Does anyone happen to know if the specialty gelato shakes like Nutella Bailey's or Tiramisu have booze in them?  Asking for a friend who wants to know if we need to get the shakes, add a floater and then get the Dutch Cafe fries or if the shake is already primed and ready to go.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Just now, Cruising-along said:

So glad to hear that Tudor is still on the NS.  We've enjoyed him on a couple cruises -- love his humor!

When DH told him it was our 50th anniversary cruise, he turned to me and asked with a straight face "And how many years for you?"

Brian @POA1 I probably missed it, but I'm wondering if Captain O'Driscoll is Captain?  

The master is Henk Draper who rolls his Rs delightfully.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1