High price for solo on celebrity cruise

latebuyer

On 1/4/2024 at 8:38 AM, mef_57 said:

I watch cruise News today YouTube and Celebrity has officially stated they will be charging more than twice double occupancy for solo bookings...to make up for lost revenue generated by a second person.

This seems to me outrageous and a potentially discriminatory policy.

What if they do an analysis of onboard spending and discover that seniors aged 70 and higher spend, on average, 50% less onboard than younger passengers. Does that then allow Celebrity to charge 70+ passengers more? 

Or even worse -- say they find that a certain ethnic group spends less on board per cabin?

This is a very slippery slope....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

This seems to me outrageous and a potentially discriminatory policy.

What if they do an analysis of onboard spending and discover that seniors aged 70 and higher spend, on average, 50% less onboard than younger passengers. Does that then allow Celebrity to charge 70+ passengers more? 

Or even worse -- say they find that a certain ethnic group spends less on board per cabin?

This is a very slippery slope....

Yes, it seems quite discrimatory. I haven't been paying much attention in past weeks but I did catch some article that says they are being strongly criticized for this statement. Maybe they will have to retract their plan. However, cruising is so popular at the moment, many ridiculous implemented and increased fees are being accepted, so cruise lines have the current upper hand.

I found that solo pricing is no bargain. only thing you get is double points when booking double occupancy cabin on celebrity and royal

Edited by kcool

Yesterday I was looking at Bermuda cruises since I know a couple going on the Eclipse. They wanted over $4000 inside room with the drink and Wi-Fi…over $1000 more than the same room for a couple.

Checked out the Joy across the river and all in was $1550, plus you get a specialty dinner. Think I got one of the reduced rooms under the theater but it seemed to be about 125% supplement.

Good bye Celebrity

Edited by kelib

I can understand that Celebrity is looking at it from a perspective that on average, a cabin with a solo cruiser may have spend less total over the course of a cruise than a cabin with 2 adults but there are other factors.  I tend to book more cruise line excursions when sailing solo than I do when sailing with friends or my family.  I also tend to spend more money at the spa on things like massages or thermal suite passes, as my solo cruises can be time to relax.

For me my biggest issue with Celebrity’s policy is that many solo cruisers don’t always cruise solo.  I sometimes cruise solo, and sometimes cruise with friends or family.  I am generally the planner of the trips with my friends and family, and I can tell you I will not be looking at Celebrity if they are not going to welcome my solo business as well.

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, katmu said:

I can understand that Celebrity is looking at it from a perspective that on average, a cabin with a solo cruiser may have spend less total over the course of a cruise than a cabin with 2 adults but there are other factors.  I tend to book more cruise line excursions when sailing solo than I do when sailing with friends or my family.  I also tend to spend more money at the spa on things like massages or thermal suite passes, as my solo cruises can be time to relax.

For me my biggest issue with Celebrity’s policy is that many solo cruisers don’t always cruise solo.  I sometimes cruise solo, and sometimes cruise with friends or family.  I am generally the planner of the trips with my friends and family, and I can tell you I will not be looking at Celebrity if they are not going to welcome my solo business as well.

Good for you! And thats a good point that solos may spend more at the spa.

22 hours ago, kelib said:

Checked out the Joy across the river and all in was $1550, plus you get a specialty dinner. Think I got one of the reduced rooms under the theater but it seemed to be about 125% supplement.

I have a solo inside cabin booked on the Joy to Bermuda in May.  Only later did I realize I’d be under the theater.  I’m usually not in my cabin until around midnight so I’m hoping any shows will be done by then!  

54 minutes ago, stinkyharriet said:

I have a solo inside cabin booked on the Joy to Bermuda in May.  Only later did I realize I’d be under the theater.  I’m usually not in my cabin until around midnight so I’m hoping any shows will be done by then!  

What week are you going? 

• 3 weeks later...

I tried to book a cruise with Celebrity today.........Constellation TA crossing at the end of March. Well, guess what, it would not allow me to book a cabin for 1 person. It was a great price, even for a solo but I guess they don't want my $$$. In my opinion, that is just stupid.

• Like 2

On 2/21/2024 at 5:21 PM, Lois R said:

I tried to book a cruise with Celebrity today.........Constellation TA crossing at the end of March. Well, guess what, it would not allow me to book a cabin for 1 person. It was a great price, even for a solo but I guess they don't want my $$$. In my opinion, that is just stupid.

It is stupid.

Did you try going in through the back door by booking with a travel agent?  I wouldn't blame you if you didn't try this.  My preference is to not deal with companies that do stupid things.

28 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

It is stupid.

Did you try going in through the back door by booking with a travel agent?  I wouldn't blame you if you didn't try this.  My preference is to not deal with companies that do stupid things.

Good morning, I did try to call a TA about it.......it is one of the agencies that shows up when you click on the "Find a Cruise" link.........there are companies that show up when researching. They told me there was nothing available for a solo guest on that sailing. I did not call the cruise line about it.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Good morning, I did try to call a TA about it.......it is one of the agencies that shows up when you click on the "Find a Cruise" link.........there are companies that show up when researching. They told me there was nothing available for a solo guest on that sailing. I did not call the cruise line about it.

Thanks.  For some reason, Royal and Celebrity don't like to sell guarantee cabins to solo travelers, and that's the only cabin type that I showed as available for this particular cruise.  

In my research, I did find a couple of ocean view cabins as available if you're willing to settle for that.  They're not much more than IGs that they're willing to sell to couples.

On 2/24/2024 at 6:40 AM, Honolulu Blue said:

Thanks.  For some reason, Royal and Celebrity don't like to sell guarantee cabins to solo travelers, and that's the only cabin type that I showed as available for this particular cruise.  

In my research, I did find a couple of ocean view cabins as available if you're willing to settle for that.  They're not much more than IGs that they're willing to sell to couples.

I’ve had the same experience over the years; their on-line booking system won’t book a solo into a guarantee category. But, finally, out of frustration, I called the Captain’s Club reservation line and learned they WILL book it, it just has to be done manually. Ridiculous, yes! 

As to guarantees, I almost always book after final payment time when fares drop (no guarantee, but happens very often) on their weekly “Exciting Deals” sales. These sales are always for guarantee categories, so a phone call to book a solo is always required. I generally book direct, secure the booking, then turn over to a Travel Agent if there’s going to a benefit of onboard credit or other incentive. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I called Celebrity today and here is the outcome......I didn't book........

Well, I was looking to book a cruise to Bermuda on X....here is the story. I called them directly because It would not let me book the cabin as a single.....it was an AQ on Eclipse and when you put 2 in there, it came up as a gty with an excellent price......so I called X and the gal said they have to get an approval to sell the cabin as a solo and she would have to get me a price.........

OMG.........a cabin for 2 was only 1099.00 per person but they wanted to charge me 5500.00! 

So that is like 500%.........how insane is that! 😠

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I called Celebrity today and here is the outcome......I didn't book........

Well, I was looking to book a cruise to Bermuda on X....here is the story. I called them directly because It would not let me book the cabin as a single.....it was an AQ on Eclipse and when you put 2 in there, it came up as a gty with an excellent price......so I called X and the gal said they have to get an approval to sell the cabin as a solo and she would have to get me a price.........

OMG.........a cabin for 2 was only 1099.00 per person but they wanted to charge me 5500.00! 

So that is like 500%.........how insane is that! 😠

That’s insane. Can’t help but think it’s a mistake. 

Post the experience on their Social Media pages and see if/how they respond. 

2 minutes ago, BEAV said:

That’s insane. Can’t help but think it’s a mistake. 

Post the experience on their Social Media pages and see if/how they respond. 

Hi Beav, I think we chatted many years ago on the X forum. I don't use any Social Media (other than here) so not posting anything on whatever you are referring to..........I might try a Princess Cruise. Found some of their prices for a solo quite good. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Beav, I think we chatted many years ago on the X forum. I don't use any Social Media (other than here) so not posting anything on whatever you are referring to..........I might try a Princess Cruise. Found some of their prices for a solo quite good. 

I don’t hang out on those sites, either. I just know others get more action/response from companies than through other types of sites. 
They definitely don’t want negative stuff like that calling them out on things that can seem discriminatory toward solos. 

4 minutes ago, BEAV said:

I don’t hang out on those sites, either. I just know others get more action/response from companies than through other types of sites. 
They definitely don’t want negative stuff like that calling them out on things that can seem discriminatory toward solos. 

The weirdest thing about it......checking on multiple cruises (I am looking for something in the spring)......some of the solo prices are ok for me but charging that much extra? Not sure if I should cut off my nose to spite my face or not......in other words, X has some (Operative word) some decent prices but they are very selective.