Cruise director turnover

pretzellover

13 hours ago, AilishsMom said:

Wondering why there would be a 2 month gap between CD's. I thought it might be a typo?
I'm looking at the Valor for April 29, 2024.

They always have gaps. They'll fill it before then. Their most immediate gap is 1/15-1/26 Mardi Gras. Two weeks away and they haven't filled that yet. Then Luminosa in March. Then they have several ships in April. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Wait, Carnival is executing CDs who don't sell bingo?? Seems harsh.

Perhaps not executing, but I am sure their jobs are tied to onboard revenue for things they're directly involved in like bingo and Deal or No Deal etc...

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

Perhaps not executing, but I am sure their jobs are tied to onboard revenue for things they're directly involved in like bingo and Deal or No Deal etc...

How are you "sure" about that?   I have never seen anything that says that, official or unofficial.  If anything, I would think they would be pushing that stuff much harder if they got a cut of the action.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, staceyglow said:

How are you "sure" about that?   I have never seen anything that says that, official or unofficial.  If anything, I would think they would be pushing that stuff much harder if they got a cut of the action.

Five years ago a bingo person filled in as CD on two of my cruises. She told me CDs got a % of the bingo money. Don't know if that's still the case or not though.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2023 at 7:11 PM, pajazz28 said:

We sail 1/21 Lee is leaving, so disappointed. We get Leon Smith. Anyone ever crusied with him?

Leon is a lot of fun. He'll go to the Alchemy bar and mix some drinks that he hands out. BYEEEE...I said BYE 🤣

On 12/26/2023 at 1:45 PM, reeinaz said:

Does anyone have any feedback on Jake Miller?

He will be the CD on my Magic Cruise next month. I think.

This is the week he starts and overlaps with the leaving CD, Michael D’Aria.

I don't know how that works, if they will share duties for that week?

We also had Jake on the Sunshine a couple of years ago...and I agree, he's a good one. 

Also, this past November, he was in a transition period with Lei Lei Ross (he was leaving, while she was transitioning onboard) on the Glory. 

Anyway, since Lei Lei was the acting CD, he had a little more available time to speak with the passengers.  During one evening's 30 minute conversation, he recounted (if I remember correctly) how he, Lei Lei, Andy Mercer, and one other CD had all been placed in the same Fun Squad shortly after their hiring.  He remarked how rare it was for so many members of the same Fun Squad to make it to the level of CD.

He struck me as a very intelligent, charismatic, while focused guy.  Hopefully, we'll get to cruise with him again one day.

Garnett

• Thanks 1

I also are not to fussed on Carnivals obsession on CD's. At least the New CD's where the real stand-outs in the Fun-Squads in The Past. Aka:Checky Charlie.

Hopefully she and the new ones don't get to obsessed with hearing there owe voice over The PA system's Telling us what's happening & whats coming up every 2 hours. Like we cant read The FUNTIMES or use The Carnival APP. 

My criterion for a good CD is pretty simple.

~ be out, visible and approachable on the ship

~ throw a decent party (think embarkation, 80s or white out) allowing folks to participate (or not) at their comfort level.

~ keep 'chatter' over the PA to a minimum

~ do a d@mn good job with important announcements like tenders/disembarkation, etc. Not everyone aboard has done this 200 times

Edited by jsglow
  • Like 2

On 12/27/2023 at 10:06 AM, Saint Greg said:

They always have gaps. They'll fill it before then. Their most immediate gap is 1/15-1/26 Mardi Gras. Two weeks away and they haven't filled that yet. Then Luminosa in March. Then they have several ships in April. 

I left some out. Spirit and Splendor in February. Miracle in March.

So I don't even know who is going to be my CD in February on Spirit. I'm sure they're all fighting over that coveted spot in Mobile, Alabama.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Haha 5

On 12/28/2023 at 10:58 AM, Saint Greg said:

I left some out. Spirit and Splendor in February. Miracle in March.

So I don't even know who is going to be my CD in February on Spirit. I'm sure they're all fighting over that coveted spot in Mobile, Alabama.

They haven't told you it's YOU yet, huh Greg?

• Haha 3

On 12/28/2023 at 10:37 AM, jsglow said:

My criterion for a good CD is pretty simple.

~ be out, visible and approachable on the ship

~ throw a decent party (think embarkation, 80s or white out) allowing folks to participate (or not) at their comfort level.

~ keep 'chatter' over the PA to a minimum

~ do a d@mn good job with important announcements like tenders/disembarkation, etc. Not everyone aboard has done this 200 times

Those are the qualities of my three top CDs (Matt Mitchum, Steven Schwartz and Chris (Donkey).  Their atrium parties were so much fun and their debarkations ran like clockwork including them leading groups out.    

• Like 1

On 12/26/2023 at 8:11 PM, pajazz28 said:

We sail 1/21 Lee is leaving, so disappointed. We get Leon Smith. Anyone ever crusied with him?

Yes.  DW and I sailed with him in March with the Sunshine.  He was very energetic and we saw him everywhere.  His catch phrase was "bye.......I said bye".