Your last meal

lenquixote66

An appetizer of liver pate with toasts, Vichyssoise, whole trout bonne femme, a light salad, cheese and fruit with port, then brandy and chocolates. All of the initial courses with appropriate wines. 

Or a really good grilled cheese sandwich on sourdough bread. 

19 hours ago, CntPAcruiser said:

An appetizer of liver pate with toasts, Vichyssoise, whole trout bonne femme, a light salad, cheese and fruit with port, then brandy and chocolates. All of the initial courses with appropriate wines. 

Or a really good grilled cheese sandwich on sourdough bread. 

I would prefer the latter.

Depends on the circumstances.

If I knew it was going to be my last meal, I doubt I'd have the slightest interest in eating.

If I didnt know I was going to die, then I'd hope that whatever we ate, my partner would be able to look back and say "We had a lovely dinner together that night". 

14 hours ago, Harters said:

Depends on the circumstances.

If I knew it was going to be my last meal, I doubt I'd have the slightest interest in eating.

If I didnt know I was going to die, then I'd hope that whatever we ate, my partner would be able to look back and say "We had a lovely dinner together that night". 

If you had a terminal illness and knew that you would not be on the planet too much longe my thinking is that you would have a last meal menu in mind .

8 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

If you had a terminal illness and knew that you would not be on the planet too much longe

But, with a terminal illness, you do not know exactly when you are going to die so cannot generally  predict when you are eating your last meal. And with most illnesses, even if you knew you were at the very end, I doubt whether you would be well enough to eat a meal (based on recent deaths of family members).. 

Of course, you can know, for certain, when you are going to due in a couple of circumstances. That's either because you are going to commit suicide or you live in country where the state still executes some offenders. In either scenario, I doubt whether I would be much interested in food. 

Have to say that discussion about last meals is an odd subject for a travel forum. Unless, of course, someone was planning to commit suicide on a cruise. 

Edited by Harters

6 hours ago, Harters said:

But, with a terminal illness, you do not know exactly when you are going to die so cannot generally  predict when you are eating your last meal. And with most illnesses, even if you knew you were at the very end, I doubt whether you would be well enough to eat a meal (based on recent deaths of family members).. 

Of course, you can know, for certain, when you are going to due in a couple of circumstances. That's either because you are going to commit suicide or you live in country where the state still executes some offenders. In either scenario, I doubt whether I would be much interested in food. 

Have to say that discussion about last meals is an odd subject for a travel forum. Unless, of course, someone was planning to commit suicide on a cruise. 

Let us say hypothetically that a person had terminal cancer and was in Hospice .Said person would know that they had x amount of days to live and could eat the same meal every day.

Haven't thought about it.......I would prefer to just go in my sleep and so whatever I ate the night before, well, whatever......I don't really care if I know what that last meal would be.......not sure if that makes sense to anyone else but it does to me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2023 at 12:09 PM, lenquixote66 said:

Let us say hypothetically that a person had terminal cancer and was in Hospice .Said person would know that they had x amount of days to live and could eat the same meal every day.

Often it is not clear how many days a person has left when they go into hospice, only that their days are numbered. By the time one is to the point of not living more than a few days due to a terminal illness, they are usually beyond the point of eating a normal meal, sadly. I guess this topic can be a reminder to enjoy every day and every meal as if it could be one's last. 

16 hours ago, CntPAcruiser said:

Often it is not clear how many days a person has left when they go into hospice, only that their days are numbered. By the time one is to the point of not living more than a few days due to a terminal illness, they are usually beyond the point of eating a normal meal, sadly. I guess this topic can be a reminder to enjoy every day and every meal as if it could be one's last. 

I do not have Cancer but I do have two illnesses for which there is no cure .Therefore,I frequently think about my last meal.

22 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Therefore,I frequently think about my last meal.

Are you following your own suggestion made at #11 and are eating the same meal every day? Just in case?

• 2 months later...

For Breakfast, my Eggs Benedict with a vinegar hollandaise.

My last lunch would be something with cheese like the Croque Monsieur I made last weekend with ham inside.

For dinner something with beef in a wine sauce like Julia's Boeuf bourguignon.