GROUP BOOKINGS

parrja

In researching Celebrity cruises (Constellation May/Jun '24), I see a warning on several that the cruise has a group booking.  I also notice that pricing has several GROUP pricing levels for the same category.  So,,,how do you find out the size of the group and the nature of the group.  Groups of 50 or less shouldn't be a problem, but I wouldn't book a cruise when the group is hundreds of people.  

1 hour ago, parrja said:

In researching Celebrity cruises (Constellation May/Jun '24), I see a warning on several that the cruise has a group booking.  I also notice that pricing has several GROUP pricing levels for the same category.  So,,,how do you find out the size of the group and the nature of the group.  Groups of 50 or less shouldn't be a problem, but I wouldn't book a cruise when the group is hundreds of people.  

I share your concern.  We have been on a couple of cruises with large parties.  On one, the group reserved all time slots for all of the Specialty Restaurants on one evening.  A couple of excursions were exclusively for this group as well.  

2 hours ago, parrja said:

It’s unlikely that you will ever know if there is a large group on your cruise until you are on board.  It could be a corporate group, a large family, an affinity group, a bunch of quilters or a Harley-Davidson club.  None of these would be available for non members to book.

Edited by cruisestitch

Sometimes Large travel agencies book a block of rooms and create a group for their customers. If you can get into such a block you can possibly save some money.  It has happened to us twice and we never met or interacted in any way with other members of the group.

but i am curious, Parrja, what kind of warning you saw that was related to a group?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, WestLakeGirl said:

Sometimes Large travel agencies book a block of rooms and create a group for their customers. If you can get into such a block you can possibly save some money.  It has happened to us twice and we never met or interacted in any way with other members of the group.

but i am curious, Parrja, what kind of warning you saw that was related to a group?

A lot of agencies use the same booking software that shows a notice like this. There will be several rates shown and some that say Group XXXXXX. They aren't all the same. The agent I use always suggests emailing so he can put together the best deal often at slightly lower price than the website shows. Many people here will say TA obc isn't available to use pre-cruise which I find not be the case when I book this way too. The agency also does not have specific cabins held exclusively for them. You choose from any open cabin in the category. 

Screenshot 2023-12-30 at 9.31.35 AM.png

Edited by paulh84

18 hours ago, keesar said:

I share your concern.  We have been on a couple of cruises with large parties.  On one, the group reserved all time slots for all of the Specialty Restaurants on one evening.  A couple of excursions were exclusively for this group as well.  

we had one  cruise where a religious group had 1 elev each side  reserved for manual operation on the sabbath....slowed things down tremendously!

another time a huge group had sign interp done at every show and event ...and were the main focus of crew and staff..

one " free"  company cruise had drunks 24/7... they had no idea how to conduct themselves...glass was thrown into pool which  closed it down

other groups had no affect at all

Wish they posted a list!