Advice requested: not quite a back to back in Fort Lauderdale

On Feb 25 I will be disembarking the Nieuw Statendam.  Later that day I will be embarking on the Rotterdam.

In the interim, I will be visiting a friend in Ft Lauderdale for a few hours.  For obvious reasons, I would prefer not to have to schlep my luggage with me during the day.

I assume that I will not be able to check my bags in immediately after disembarkation?  

I am not at all familiar with Ft L….can I even assume that both ships will be at the same terminal ?  

Any ideas/suggestions on how not to have to lug it around with me for the day ?

Thank you all in advance.

Posted (edited)

Thank you much !

I stand corrected re “same terminal”.  I meant adjacent….or at least fairly close to each other.

Edited by Gunther1

47 minutes ago, Gunther1 said:

Thank you much !

I stand corrected re “same terminal”.  I meant adjacent….or at least fairly close to each other.

They could be within walking distance, yes.

• Like 1

It is my experience that HAL uses terminals 19, 21, 26, all in walking distance (luggage roll) from each other.   Luggage is usually accepted by the porters before 10:00 AM so your walk and luggage drop off should be quite easy.  Cab drivers are very hesitant to driving short distances unless you make it worth their while.

• Like 1

I don't know if this is possible but if your friend(s) could pick you up from the Nieuw Statendam and return you to the Rotterdam later in the day your luggage could probably stay in their car.

Roy

• Like 6

On February 25 the Nieuw Statendam is scheduled for terminal 26 and Rotterdam is scheduled for terminal 19.  The terminals are across the street from each other, but it isn't a short walk.  Probably 1100 - 1200 ft through the parking garage and across the street.

image.png.2187d9875bfc6bf3a0d3e60a5ac4afe2.png

image.png.f4039658be6b50850b0fa98e4a0ad644.png

• Like 4

Last time I did this, a porter walked the luggage with me to the other terminal and the porters took it right away.  I waited until the last call to get off of the ship (probably 9 or 930). I tipped the porter and grabbed an uber or taxi from there.  I have also taken a taxi or uber from my ship, had them stop off at the new terminal, drop my bags and continued to my destination for the day.  The drivers were much happier to do this as they got a full fare from me after the bag drop.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

On February 25 the Nieuw Statendam is scheduled for terminal 26 and Rotterdam is scheduled for terminal 19.  The terminals are across the street from each other, but it isn't a short walk.  Probably 1100 - 1200 ft through the parking garage and across the street.

image.png.2187d9875bfc6bf3a0d3e60a5ac4afe2.png

image.png.f4039658be6b50850b0fa98e4a0ad644.png

What website do you use to see the port schedule that far out?  When I look at the Port Everglades site I can only see the next 7 days.  We will be boarding the Rotterdam on Jan 14, 2024 and wondering which terminal.

Edited by iflyrc5

7 hours ago, iflyrc5 said:

What website do you use to see the port schedule that far out?  When I look at the Port Everglades site I can only see the next 7 days.  We will be boarding the Rotterdam on Jan 14, 2024 and wondering which terminal.

image.png.23980d82f33f74062aeeb37a6ec68b80.png

When you go to the Port Schedule.  Hit "Querry"  in the upper right corner, then Select "Show All"  under Querry Options and then input the dates you want.

image.png.ea24f3c602afe59e88f66067cd2fbc3f.png

15 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

This is called a "side to side", or S2S. No, the ships CAN'T be at the same terminal. 

You should be able to check your bags on to your second cruise by 10am.

I never heard of "side to side" before. There's always something new to learn here!!