Single cost more than double

On 2/1/2024 at 9:30 AM, SouKnoMe said:

I booked on Princess. Their internet, beverage package and so called premier packages are more than Celebrity. The deals and prices prior to 3/13/2020 are truly a relic of the past. And to believe that inflation has not influenced this is foolish. And to believe no solo will do what they want with ‘their’ money is equally foolish.  

Princess packages include crew gratuity, it is my understanding that Celebrity has removed gratuities from their packages.

• Like 2

To be perfectly blunt if the number of solo cruisers choose not to sail on Celebrity then I suspect Celebrity would consider their policy to be a success.

To put it simply the reason for the policy is pretty clear looking at cruise lines financials in their 10k and 10q filings.  Prior to covid the mass market lines such as Celebrity got about 25% of their revenue from on board spend, now that is closer to 35%.  In general   if the fare is 100 then the onboard spend on average is 53.8.  So if you have two people in a cabin then the total revenue is 2 x (100+53.8) = 307.

With one person in a two person  cabin, even at twice the fare, the revenue on average would be 2 x 100 + 53.8  = 253.8  or a reduction in revenue of 17.3%.

Considering that on a given cruise most costs are fixed (labor, fuel, etc).  The one variable cost, food, is pretty low running around $15 dollars per passenger per day.  So the savings does not come anywhere close to the difference in revenue.

The number of cabins on a ship is a hard limit.  So any time a cabin holds one it is a negative impact on revenue, anytime they can get three in a cabin it is a plus.  Now that ships are back to sailing full many lines are doing things to maximize revenue by trying to maximize the number of passengers  on board.  For example Princess is making it difficult for two passengers to book cabins that can hold 3 (deluxe balconies for example).  

Basically for a solo cabin in general to generate the same revenue as a two person cabin the fare would need to be  about 253.8 compared to 100 per person in the 2 person cabin. Similarly if they can get 3 people the revenue would be 3 X 153.8) = 461.4.  They could let the 3rd person pay a fare of zero and still generate more revenue 361.4 compared to the 2 person 307.

So to put it simply Celebrity and the other main stream cruise lines really do not want a lot of solo cruisers.  They are better than having a cabin go empty, but revenue wise they do not generate profit for the cruise line.

• Thanks 3

I have something that will counteract that last post. A travel agent in my city runs a solo travel group and one event she is featuring is someone from celebrity! I told her about what celebrity is doing and she didn't seem to care. I think they may go after cruisers who book through travel agents who don't know or don't care about celebritys pricing.

Edited by latebuyer

9 hours ago, TRLD said:

Princess packages include crew gratuity, it is my understanding that Celebrity has removed gratuities from their packages.

You are correct. You can pay for them separately prior to sailing. 

On 2/1/2024 at 12:30 PM, SouKnoMe said:

Their internet, beverage package and so called premier packages are more than Celebrity.

Thats not true about the internet package. I'm on a princess cruise right now and paid $75 for the 10 nights and the speed is very fast Celebrity cant even come close to their Medallion net package. The price has gone up now to $12.50 a night but I bought it hours before the price hike.  Can't comment on drink packages as I rarely purchase it

Edited by drakes2
Spelling

On 1/29/2024 at 12:58 PM, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

The solos I know including me are flocking AWAY from them.

I have two Celebrity cruises booked. The first one is this March on the Constellation, out of Tampa. The second is next January, on Equinox, out of Port Canaveral (an easy drive for me). Both were booked before the massive increases in solo pricing. If the March cruise turns out to be a disappointment, which I hope it doesn’t, I may well cancel the January 2025. It isn’t just the pricing issue, it the ever increasing nickeling and diming. Heaven only knows what else will be removed or have an up charge added between now and next January. 

I sailed on Oceania Vista in December. Not only was it a great cruise, but the pricing was much better. I paid approximately $500 base fare, at double price, less to sail in the lowest level of Concierge on Vista. The comparable cruise, with one less night, on Celebrity, in an A2, was, as I said $500 more, without AI. On O, wi-fi and beer, wine, and champagne at lunch and dinner are included. I also got some OBC, which could only be used for shore excursions.  When I considered what the cost of the wi-fi and beverage package would be on Celebrity, the savings was significantly more than $500.

Edited by Straughn

1 hour ago, drakes2 said:

Thats not true about the internet package. I'm on a princess cruise right now and paid $75 for the 10 nights and the speed is very fast Celebrity cant even come close to their Medallion net package. The price has gone up now to $12.50 a night but I bought it hours before the price hike.  Can't comment on drink packages as I rarely purchase it

I think you should have said that you paid $75 for your ten day cruise first before saying I was wrong. You got a deal!  When I stated what I did I had looked at the prices offered for my sailing later this year. It’s $174.93, that’s $24.99 per day for a 7 day cruise.  I paid $111.93 for my sailing on Ascent. 

Its great to see singles scrutinizing their choices and i think thats what singles should do. I just want to add celebrity is being very shortsighted as right now the market is good but it may not be in the future and they may want solo cruisers again. By that time they may have moved on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, latebuyer said:

Its great to see singles scrutinizing their choices and i think thats what singles should do. I just want to add celebrity is being very shortsighted as right now the market is good but it may not be in the future and they may want solo cruisers again. By that time they may have moved on.

You’re right. Some will have moved on. 

So I always thought there were senior discounts for fares. I’ve finally made the age and want in! 😂

27 minutes ago, SouKnoMe said:

So I always thought there were senior discounts for fares. I’ve finally made the age and want in! 😂

I've already moved on done 2 princess cruises in the past year. Celebritys price for same itinerary and cabin category was twice the price for 10 nights. Granted I think the Celebrity experience is better overall but I wouldn't say twice as good.  I will be on the Beyond next month another 10 nighter which I booked long ago so I'll be doing a lot of comparisons. 

7 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

I've already moved on done 2 princess cruises in the past year. Celebritys price for same itinerary and cabin category was twice the price for 10 nights. Granted I think the Celebrity experience is better overall but I wouldn't say twice as good.  I will be on the Beyond next month another 10 nighter which I booked long ago so I'll be doing a lot of comparisons. 

I moved on to Oceania and Crystal. I still have a Celebrity cruise booked but I won't book any more if they charge me for three.  

48 minutes ago, SouKnoMe said:

My husband is near the discount age (I'm not). I told him once he turns the age to claim seniors discounts he's doing the shopping - save every $ we can get lol

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Lena11033 said:

My husband is near the discount age (I'm not). I told him once he turns the age to claim seniors discounts he's doing the shopping - save every $ we can get lol

Discounts are always good...   You don't have to be REAL senior to qualify.   AAA for example consider you a Senior at 50 and can use discounts at many hotels. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Discounts are always good...   You don't have to be REAL senior to qualify.   AAA for example consider you a Senior at 50 and can use discounts at many hotels. 

Thanks, that's good to know as he's over 50 (closer to 60) while I'm early 40's 🙃

1 hour ago, Lena11033 said:

Got the seniors discount for the cruise I'm on now. 

1 minute ago, drakes2 said:

Got the seniors discount for the cruise I'm on now. 

My husband doesn't cruise because we have 4 dogs and no one to look after them, boarding would be more than the cruise so I am always solo

1 hour ago, SouKnoMe said:

Do you have to book with TA to redeem?

I sometimes book with a large agency which I cannot name on these boards many cruises have seniors rates. If asked you have to have proof of age at embarkation port. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/8/2024 at 7:34 PM, diesel1973 said:

I have done some land tours with an agency in the past and some had a single supplement and some didn't. When I inquired about the extra charge I was told that some hotel rates were priced at double occupancy, Didn't make much sense to me.

I know when I’ve booked in Paris the booking asks the number of people, but I just determine what I want to pay and keep moving. 

I know we've been paying it all along, but does nobody here think that paying 200% is also absurd? When I tell people that I pay for two passengers when I cruise solo, they are dumbfounded. It seems like Celebrity made us so angry about paying more than 200% that we have no choice now but to be HAPPY about the 200% for a solo sailor. Gaslighting?

On 2/5/2024 at 4:10 PM, Giraffes said:

I know we've been paying it all along, but does nobody here think that paying 200% is also absurd? When I tell people that I pay for two passengers when I cruise solo, they are dumbfounded. It seems like Celebrity made us so angry about paying more than 200% that we have no choice now but to be HAPPY about the 200% for a solo sailor. Gaslighting?

Totally agree. They say it is about onboard spending. I really doubt most guests are spending the amount they are charging solos extra. For retreat cabins/Royal Suite it is as much as $3K or $6K more on a 7-10 day sailing. It comes out to anywhere from $300-800 per day. As much as some retreat folks might spend I highly doubt that is actually the average OBS of guests in suites. If they really want everyone to spend, why would they get rid of the retreat always included promotion that had $800 or so of OBC. That literally forced you to pre-pay for onboard spending and include it in the price. And if you don't they keep whatever they baked into the price for it (just like they keep whatever you don't spend on your drink package). 

Just took a look at a last minute cruise 1 month out (10 day on Silhouette). One would think they would be happy to sell a cabin this close in, even if it is to a single traveler - currently 8 retreat cabins and 1 guarantee verandah left. Their pricing suggests they still wouldn't want a solo. 

Horizon Suite

$17,207 for 2

$24,528 for 1

Celebrity Suite

$16,090 for 2

$22,919 for 1

Sunset Sky Suite 

$11,856 for 2

$17,207 for 1

Verandah Guarantee 

$3,815 for 2

Not permitted for 1

I also notice that even though this is all about onboard spending not taking place, we don't get a penny of onboard credit for our extra $5-7 thousand dollars. IMO it is a money grab pure and simple. And they are counting on enough people not paying attention or knowing enough to ask what the price for 2 is.

I know some people say book for 2 and have the other no show...I would not want to take that risk. Who knows what sort of policies they may enforce around this.  They certainly have the right to charge whatever they want, and we have right to take take it or not. I am of the mind that if my $17K for a Horizon suite isn't good enough for them, then I wish them luck with getting the equivalent off of a move up bid or couple looking for a last minute 10 night cruise...given they still have 3 horizon suites, 2 celebrity suites and 3 sunset sky suites I doubt they will fill all with couples paying rack rate. But of course what do I know? 

Ok, rant over. 

Edited by zgscl
  • Like 2

On 2/5/2024 at 4:10 PM, Giraffes said:

It is and it isn't. I can totally understand charging 200%. Cruise lines have given prices as per person for a long time to make people think it is less ($1,500 per person sounds better than $3,000 for a cabin). Essentially I think of it like a hotel room. Hilton or Mariott don't care if I am one or two people, they charge $300 for a room for one night. Unless I add extra guests and now they have to service the sofa bed or provide an extra free breakfast. The incremental cost to the cruise line of 1 vs 2 people is miniscule. I have never complained about 200%, though I am grateful when there is the occasional sale offering a discount on the supplement.

Where I take offense is paying more on top of that. If it is all about onboard spending then go back to including the onboard credit - as a solo I had to use $800 of OBC by myself vs 2 people using $400 each. If I didn't spend it, then they got to keep the difference.  

• Like 4

Received an email "Celebrity President Laura Hodges Bethge wants to hear from you". Asked if they plan on rethinking how they charge their loyal solo sailors. I'm sure it will not be addressed.

• Like 2

On 2/13/2024 at 6:46 AM, Giraffes said:

Received an email "Celebrity President Laura Hodges Bethge wants to hear from you". Asked if they plan on rethinking how they charge their loyal solo sailors. I'm sure it will not be addressed.

I follow someone who was in a focus group on Icon with RCL executives who wanted to hear from solo passengers. Maybe they’re listening. 

• Like 1