Single cost more than double

My biggest complaint with celebrity is how difficult it is to compare prices to see what the solo price is actually going to be.  Other lines I can put it into the search and see what I’ll be paying before selecting each individual cruise and going down all these booking paths.  

I only take offense to the word, “desperate” being used for someone who books knowing of the pricing differences between single and double occupancy. I for one am not desperate. I prefer the esthetic of the ships, as well as the good food.  I’ve recently started following Princess threads and I can’t help but to see the same ugly plates and entrees that I remember from Carnival. 

Just like my old economics professor said, “price is driven by supply and demand.”  Where you won’t pay, there’s truly another to take your place. 

• Thanks 1

Personally i just think celebrity is biding their time before they introduce more more than double pricing. Souknowme shows demand is still there so they'll think they can get away with it  The forbes article was an unexpected setback.

2 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

Personally i just think celebrity is biding their time before they introduce more more than double pricing. Souknowme shows demand is still there so they'll think they can get away with it  The forbes article was an unexpected setback.

I priced the Sun Princess as a solo in the desired room that I wanted… same results. Going to pay unless I want a small inside room, which I don’t. 

20 hours ago, latebuyer said:

I feel like i should throw my support behind norwegian which is the only cruise line that has incorporated solos in its business model. As it is i have a princess cruise booked and we'll see how that goes. I'm done with Holland america too. I feel like they force solos to book guarantee rooms though someone said not all sailings are like that it seems like a lot. Bye bye Celebrity and Holland America.

Yeah, but NCL's model only works when you book one of their solo cabins and want to hang out mostly with other solos. Example: most diners on NCL aren't willing to share a table at dinnertime. If you want to share a meal you have to meet up with the "solo table" crew and eat with them. 

That just seems so limited to me. Am I supposed to think that I "only" have things in common with other solo travelers? 

I'm not looking to be put into "solo segregation," I only want a fair price on a cabin -- e.g., not more than two people are being charged for one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, latebuyer said:

For me, i just don't want to support celebritys business practices and it seems some do. If that means i miss out on the celebrity experience and have to make some sacrifices, so be it.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm not supporting Celebrity's shenanigans either. I just don't think NCL is a good alternative for all solos.

Edited to add:  I've done a lot of cruises on HAL as a solo. Never was forced to book a guarantee and often have gotten a 20-25% "discount" off the solo supplement if I book an Inside or OV room.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1

Thats good to know you didn't have to book a guarantee on holland america. I'm actually thinking of this celebrity thing a little differently now. If you consider it that they are just biding their time until they charge more than 200% on all their rooms, then maybe you should enjoy the rooms at 200% when you still can. For me, i don't feel a need to book them, but others seem to really like it.

On 1/6/2024 at 4:52 AM, RHudson1825 said:

I often cruise solo and celebrities new policy of not just charging double but more than double for singles cruisers is very frustrating. Thankfully other cruise lines are more friendly to singles (sometimes only 1.5x) and are starting to match loyalty level. I will be spending my money where I am welcome and appreciated. Celebrity monitors this site, are others as frustrated? 

Not the only thing that has negatively changed.  Their premium drinks package covered up to $15 two years ago and many drinks were covered by that.  Now they raised it to $17 or less and raised a majority of what used to be covered to north of that amount.

I am looking for another line as I don't like being gouged on things.

I thought I read that they were going to adjust the solo fares back to 200% supplements for most cruises by the end of the month but I just picked a cruise similar to one I took on Beyond in January 2023 to see what what happening now and the total double occupancy price for 2 people including port taxes and fees (deluxe inside cabin) is $2400 for a one week Eastern  Caribbean cruise on Beyond.  Exact same cabin and date for a solo sailor is $3242 including port fees and taxes.  I'm not going to pay $842 more than a couple for the exact same product.

So much for the roll-backs.

By the way, I paid $1322 last January for a similarly located Deluxe Inside Cabin (cruise only) for the same Eastern Caribbean itinerary when they had a no-solo-supplement promotion going in the summer of 2022. Ah, good times.

• Like 1

I just booked my sailing to Bermuda, but on NCL. The Joy and Eclipse do the itinerary and usually sail together. Celebrity wanted over 4k for all on an inside room ($3200 for a couple) Got all in on NCL for $1500. I even got 1 free specialty dinner.

Loved Celebrity and was just on the Ascent, but no more. 

18 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

Wow! The prices being quoted on celebrity are just disgusting and i hope no solo is paying for it.

I booked on Princess. Their internet, beverage package and so called premier packages are more than Celebrity. The deals and prices prior to 3/13/2020 are truly a relic of the past. And to believe that inflation has not influenced this is foolish. And to believe no solo will do what they want with ‘their’ money is equally foolish.  

I booked a princess cruise (no princess plus) for a pacific coastal 7 day for 1300 canadian (about 1000 US). The 7 night celebrity cruise pacific coastal cost 1500 US (2000 canadian) I was quite shocked by the price difference even though in this instance celebrity only priced the cruise 200% more. Granted you really do have to look at things on a per cruise basis because different cruise lines have good deals on different cruises. Happy cruise hunting!

19 hours ago, dreamer321 said:

I thought I read that they were going to adjust the solo fares back to 200% supplements for most cruises by the end of the month but I just picked a cruise similar to one I took on Beyond in January 2023 to see what what happening now and the total double occupancy price for 2 people including port taxes and fees (deluxe inside cabin) is $2400 for a one week Eastern  Caribbean cruise on Beyond.  Exact same cabin and date for a solo sailor is $3242 including port fees and taxes.  I'm not going to pay $842 more than a couple for the exact same product.

So much for the roll-backs.

By the way, I paid $1322 last January for a similarly located Deluxe Inside Cabin (cruise only) for the same Eastern Caribbean itinerary when they had a no-solo-supplement promotion going in the summer of 2022. Ah, good times.

I priced a European cruise today in the Retreat and the solo quote is approx. $18k. For two people the total for both is $13k. So this one is $5k more if you book solo vs. booking two people. Its ridiculous. 

Edited by LetsGoToo
  • Like 2

On 1/30/2024 at 11:31 AM, cruisemom42 said:

Yeah, but NCL's model only works when you book one of their solo cabins and want to hang out mostly with other solos. Example: most diners on NCL aren't willing to share a table at dinnertime. If you want to share a meal you have to meet up with the "solo table" crew and eat with them. 

That just seems so limited to me. Am I supposed to think that I "only" have things in common with other solo travelers? 

I'm not looking to be put into "solo segregation," I only want a fair price on a cabin -- e.g., not more than two people are being charged for one.

that is the downside of NCL free style in that they are reluctant to put strangers together.

Any more I eat in the buffet at night which is quieter, not as air conditioned and the food is pretty good.

I like the fact that one can get veggies more in buffet.

also on Disney, if travelling solo, they are also reluctant to put me with a family.  I hate getting stuck with the boring solo folks on Disney and feel like I did not deserve a fun family or something.

I have been getting very good prices on Princess for 2025 and have two booked from UK doing Europe.  

• Like 1

On 1/29/2024 at 11:58 AM, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

The solos I know including me are flocking AWAY from 

Happy Cruiser, Please check out Azamara Cruises. Small ships under 700 guests. Great for solos and so much is included including gratuities, soft drinks, bottled water, cocktails, 🍷  with lunch and dinner. I just got a great solo price on a 12 night out of Miami on the Journey. (Eastern Caribbean). I am thinking of adding on the cruise after and doing a b2b for another 13 nights through Thanksgiving the price for solos is fabulous! I love ️  🚢 with them. Sailing Terri

• Thanks 2

On 1/10/2024 at 8:29 AM, chemmo said:

As a relatively new solo I am on a real learning curve. I have been following lots of posts and simply decided not to cruise solo! If immediate family cruise with me we will book a higher suite with two rooms. If I decide to pay double rate for a cruise I will treat a friend rather than let a cruise line pocket the difference!

Regarding other holidays there are some odd practices too.

For example, many UK hotels offer single rooms at lower rates but they are tiny and usually overlooking a car park. If you try to book a sea front luxury room for one it won’t let you do it on the website. If you phone you are told to put in two people by some hotels (regardless of the fact it is just for one) or told that solos can only book solo rooms by others. Coach tours have similar restrictions. Some will only book doubles, or only have limited tours with solo options. One tour company offered to take my name and they would offer me a room two weeks prior to the tour if there were seats available then (note, still at double price)…

Seems the hospitality industry generally doesn’t like solos!

Wow!  This is awful!   And shortsighted on the part of the hospitality sector!