HAVE CAPTAIN'S COCKTAIL PARTIES RESUMED?

Mareblu

Our Sirena voyage in September 2022 did not include a Captain's reception, which was sensible at that time.  I have read somewhere that the cocktail parties have since resumed.   Could some kind soul with certain knowledge enlighten me?  If the tradition has resumed, I also need to know if the former norm of the second night of the voyage, or alternatively, the first sea day after embarkation, is the designated evening.  This will definitely affect the two M&Ms I am assisting to arrange for our Vista Grand Med Voyage in April.  Many thanks in advance.

Linda

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Our Sirena voyage in September 2022 did not include a Captain's reception, which was sensible at that time.  I have read somewhere that the cocktail parties have since resumed.   Could some kind soul with certain knowledge enlighten me?  If the tradition has resumed, I also need to know if the former norm of the second night of the voyage, or alternatively, the first sea day after embarkation, is the designated evening.  This will definitely affect the two M&Ms I am assisting to arrange for our Vista Grand Med Voyage in April.  Many thanks in advance.

Linda

Yes, there were Captain's Parties on our three O sailings in 2023.  And the nights were as you stated, either on the second night, or the first sea day.

1 minute ago, tigerfan75 said:

Yes, there were Captain's Parties on our three O sailings in 2023.  And the nights were as you stated, either on the second night, or the first sea day.

Thank you so much for this information.  I will now need to consult with my M&M colleague.

We had a Captain's Cocktail party on Riviera 12/2021 and on Sirena 11/2022. As well as on both legs of our B2B on Riviera 10-11/2023. Since the 1st was our first, we only could do the repeater party on the other 3 cruises, which also took place.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, rainytraveller said:

We were on a New York to Montreal cruise in late September and the Captain’s cocktail party was cancelled.  We suspect there was an outbreak of Covid since much of the staff started wearing masks

In the past (but post-pandemic) they still had complimentary drinks in Martinis and Horizons in lieu of a party. Did they skip that too?

1 hour ago, AMHuntFerry said:

In the past (but post-pandemic) they still had complimentary drinks in Martinis and Horizons in lieu of a party. Did they skip that too?

They had those venues open for the Captain's Party on all 4 of our O cruises, from 12/2021 thru 11/2023. You see the information in the Currents. The timing of the free drinks. The party "starts" in the Horizons Lounge. Where there is the meet & greet. Continues there and in Martini's.

• Thanks 1

Just now, MEFIowa said:

They had those venues open for the Captain's Party on all 4 of our O cruises, from 12/2021 thru 11/2023. You see the information in the Currents. The timing of the free drinks. The party "starts" in the Horizons Lounge. Where there is the meet & greet. Continues there and in Martini's.

I was talking specifically about when the actual party where the Captain and other crew are present; when there were health concerns, there was still a party (in the bars) but not a Party (in the theatre/lounge).

27 minutes ago, AMHuntFerry said:

I was talking specifically about when the actual party where the Captain and other crew are present; when there were health concerns, there was still a party (in the bars) but not a Party (in the theatre/lounge).

We had the meet & greet with the captain and crew in Horizons 12/2021 (Riviera), 11/2022 (Sirena), 10/2023 (Riviera), and 11/2023 (Riviera).

On 1/6/2024 at 3:29 PM, Mareblu said:

Linda

What is M&Ms ?

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

Not seeing the list, I asked for a martini. Server said it’s not on the list.  He said that I couldn’t get it.

This has not been our experience, so I wonder if things have changed since our last cruise on O (July 2022).  I hope other recent cruisers would post their experiences, as we have upcoming cruises with O and would like to know what to expect.

Edited by 1985rz1

2 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

This has not been our experience, so I wonder if things have changed since our last cruise on O (July 2022).  I hope other recent cruisers would post their experiences, as we have upcoming cruises with O and would like to know what to expect.

1/23 I was at the captain's party.  The waiter brought me a full glass of Oban, he knew my drink from the prior evening.  

I had no trouble getting a double Absolut on the rocks at the captain's party aboard Nautica in late October '23.  And the captain was there, too...which had not been the case on our previous cruises during Covid.

At the Captains Party on Sirens September 2023 you could order any drink you desired from the bar. You could have as many as you wanted within the 2 hours. You also could go straight to Martinis and order any drink you liked, no questions asked.

Sounds like @Redtravel had a misinformed server or a server who didn't want to to the bar and get a martini.  Of course, if it could have been a specialty martini that is not on the regular bar menu, or the rule just changed.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tr1v1alCru1ser said:

Really?  I order what a I wanted (an Aperol Spritz) and was given it without question. 

They did not have the Gin I like, which was available at Martini's. Had to find something else to drink.

Yes, things have changed on Oceania. We sail on Oceania often. Up until now, our experiences were amazing. During the Captains welcome party, you could order anything complimentary.  Imagine my surprise when I watched the servers remove the usual bar menus. Shortly after an event menu was placed on each table in the bar area.  It is very limited.  I don’t know when this change started.  Last year we sailed on Marina twice. Most recent cruise was June 2023. There were no limits on that sailing.  Nothing stays the same.