A few notes about the Discovery Jan 6-13

5 hours ago, sfpd3000 said:

@Cruise Raider Always a pleasure to read what you write.  I see Cole is the CD.  See you next month.

Can’t wait!  And yes, Cole is the CD and him and him and his staff are great!  We knew he was going to be onboard via JourneyView and so brought him some Tim Tams.  The look on his face was absolutely priceless when he got them!  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

We asked about others that might be having trouble booking this restaurant in the app and he said that once they’ve received their maximum reservations, the app won’t allow any new ones

Hi Cruise Raider, Love your updates and I’m looking forward to the TSE cruise in April!   Did the maitre’d say if they reserve some spots at the Catch for people to make reservations when onboard?  Thank you!

• Like 1

Looks like this is definitely turning into a live from thread .. so will add a few notes in case there’s anyone reading this that hasn’t followed my live from thread from October. 

The beds are firm n this ship and not the normal Princess beds that we’ve had on other ships.  They are comfortable, just not super comfortable.

We booked this last minute so picked a wonderful location but I do sleep better when the head of my bed faces the other direction and there were none like that available when I booked.  Perhaps that is more in my head but I found myself sleeping the other direction last night to fall asleep.  I’m going to grab a blanket from up top or ask my room steward for an extra balnket for tonight.  
Our room steward brought us some appetizers last night before dinner consisting of some little bread rounds with shrimp, with prosciutto and one with sun dried tomato and olive.  They were quite tasty.  
The Discovery always set itself aside by serving only nice wine glasses.  I can only imagine that was a costly venture as they now do serve wine from those heavy duty wine glasses unless you specifically ask for a nice thin rimmed glass.  The bar staff is most accommodating.  I tell them if we don’t return them, they can charge our account $25 for each glass.  We always return them!   
I’ve mentioned already that the food has been fantastic.  There are a few changes, though.  I was surprised to see the edamame beans are already shelled and there was no pickled ginger at the sushi place. Definitely not a deal breaker for us .. just a change, is all.  Also, my concerto pasta wasn’t topped with Chilean sea bass as was on the Majestic at The Catch!  There was, instead, langostino, and not a complaint as the meal was superb!  We did split an extra appetizer so, definitely got our fill of seafood.  I didn’t even think about that until we were well out the door.

@RLK33853the formal nights are the first full sea day (yesterday) and again on day 6, so the second to last day while in Mexico. 

Thevstaff has been just amazing!  I’m going to start my list for my survey.  Many of them that were so impressive on our last sailing from a couple of months ago have been promoted.  They all seem like a happy group and that is reflected through the service they offer.

The officers engagement with the passengers is impressive!  We are in Cabo today but not until 2 PM.  I don’t much ever get off in Cabo so, will probably hit up the future cruise desk.  Late this aftrenoon, there is a Folkloric Show in the theater so we will definitely be hitting that up!  Another wonderful day onboard the most gorgeous Discovery Princess. 

Cole, our cruise director and the ever so gorgeous, Josie, his assistant!  

IMG_1534.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, mthomp5 said:

Hi Cruise Raider, Love your updates and I’m looking forward to the TSE cruise in April!   Did the maitre’d say if they reserve some spots at the Catch for people to make reservations when onboard?  Thank you!

There will be some but I wouldn’t count on anything being available if a lot of people have the premier package. He was able to change our reservation from the Crown Grill to return to The Catch for the second formal night, though.  We are on the Crown Princess for a couple of cruises next month so, will go to the Crown Grill there. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Almost forgot to mention, there is a duo, a man and woman, him playing the guitar and both singing that perform in the piazza and Crown Grill Bar area. Wow!  They are phenomenal.  It may be Cola Sounds but I will find out and confirm on here.  I love their choice of music.  Perfect background music for eating dinner at the Crown Grill or having a pre dinner / after dinner drink.

I think instead of dinner tonight, we will check out the PES lounge for some nibbles and report back.

Edited by Cruise Raider
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

The internet is working pretty well … I keep reporting in small segments to ensure my messages go through but that doesn’t seem to be an issue so far.  

We did have an emergency evacuation last night .. so sad for the first day onboard, or  any day, for that matter.  

There are just over 3600 passengers onboard, mostly American.  The cut off for the Most Travelled Passenger luncheon  is 536 days.  The next cruise is waitlisted.  We were going to try to stay onboard if there were any deals to be had.  Unfortunately, there are not. That’s ok .. I bought air for both disembarkation dates, both cancellable, so no harm!  
Gone are those days of low capacity cruises.  Fortunately, it doesn’t feel super crowded.  

There are a lot of new crew onboard but it hasn’t had a negative impact on us.  Things seem to be runnng very smoothly.  

We booked the premier package and eat mostly at the casual dining venues so, had our dinner at the GastroPub and it was outstanding!  

The new lunch menus in the dining room is in full effect.  I do love the small plates.  I may miss my chicken korma at lunch on the first sea day but I can get great Indian food in the buffet.  

There are updated door signs.  No more seeing if you’ve won or not when opening your cabin door.  

The entertainment staff is incredible.  The activities staff is so much fun and full of energy.  Cole, our cruise director is announcing a prize of the premier package for two.  If you already have a package, the prize will be $1300 .. refundable?  It randomly picks a person in the crowd in the piazza based on their medallion being present.  We didn’t win but what a nice treat for the woman that did.  So happy for her.  
If you purchase the package on day two, you can either have it retrospectively applied or it can be prorated.  

For those on the Total Solar Eclipse cruise on this ship in April, Christoff will be the cruise director. 

Attached is the current officers board.  
sorry if this is getting long .. looking more like a live from post but am trying to answer some questions that people have asked on different threads.  

The plus and premier packages 

IMG_1525.jpeg

Did they have the regular embarkation lunch, salmon, shrimp with avacado and orange soufflé? That’s my favorite meal of the entire cruise 🚢 

4 minutes ago, tjcletzgo said:

Did they have the regular embarkation lunch, salmon, shrimp with avacado and orange soufflé? That’s my favorite meal of the entire cruise 🚢 

Yes, they do!  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Hi @Cruise Raider- Thank you so much for taking us along! I appreciate your reviews of The Catch and have only been reading great things about it on all of the ships which have it.

In reference to wine glasses ( a real issue for me and others); we were on the Sky last June and I was so thrilled that wine was automatically being served in Reidel wine glasses (or a close second) and this was at ALL bars, not just in Vines. Only Libby glasses were used if they were behind in the washing of those. I can not tell you how refreshing that was!!!

Edited by nini
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, nini said:

Hi @Cruise Raider- Thank you so much for taking us along! I appreciate your reviews of The Catch and have only been reading great things about it on all of the ships which have it.

In reference to wine glasses ( a real issue for me and others); we were on the Sky last June and I was so thrilled that wine was automatically being served in Reidel wine glasses (or a close second) and this was at ALL bars, not just in Vines. Only Libby glasses were used if they were behind in the washing of those. I can not tell you how refreshing that was!!!

A proper wine glass is the only way to drink nice wine, IMO!  
I don’t require a Reidel but something with the right shape and a thin rim is a must.  
I even request my coffee is served in a a ceramic mug instead of paper.  
This is what we got the morning … Thanks to Arun! 

IMG_1561.jpeg

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I don’t require a Reidel but something with the right shape and a thin rim is a must.  

IMG_1561.jpeg

I must ask; Are we related? Great minds..........

I have mentioned this before on CC. I worked in an Italian restaurant that served only Italian wines. We had a guest for a workshop regarding Reidel glassware and the difference. Holy Cow, did I learn a lot! He guided our palates through tasting wine from mass-market wine glasses versus "rimless" like Riedel and Spiegelau glassware. I was sold and now and am called a "Wine Snob". The difference is astounding. I get Riedel and Spiegelau glassware at thrift stores and garage sales for a mere pittance. (And Home Goods). If the glass has a "lip", then you will not be experiencing the wine at its best.

BTW- Quite a few other CC members are onboard with this. So, of course, I was thrilled when they had made this change on the Sky.

And ceramic of course for coffee! 😁

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, CruzinNoony said:

Thank you so much for your great "live from".  We are on the Discovery on the 13th and the 20th.  I will certainly be following along with your observations and adventures.

I bought refundable air on both the 13th and the 20th just in case we were given a decent price to stay onboard.  It’s waitlisted only.  That’s ok, we have hinges to do at home anyway.  

1 hour ago, nini said:

I have mentioned this before on CC. I worked in an Italian restaurant that served only Italian wines. We had a guest for a workshop regarding Reidel glassware and the difference. Holy Cow, did I learn a lot! He guided our palates through tasting wine from mass-market wine glasses versus "rimless" like Riedel and Spiegelau glassware. I was sold and now and am called a "Wine Snob". The difference is astounding. I get Riedel and Spiegelau glassware at thrift stores and garage sales for a mere pittance. (And Home Goods). If the glass has a "lip", then you will not be experiencing the wine at its best.

BTW- Quite a few other CC members are onboard with this. So, of course, I was thrilled when they had made this change on the Sky.

Yes, I think so!  It really does make a world of difference.  
I would treasure going to a Reidel wine course.  Not sure if they still have them but we had such a great time going to the wine blending and the champagne tasting at Vines on different Princess ships!  They were definitely highlights of some of our cruises.  

1 hour ago, nini said:

Totally agree with this. We're just off Navigator of the Seas (RCI) and the only place you can get a nice wine glass is at the Steakhouse. I even think a nice glass makes a not as nice wine taste better. LOL...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

IMG_1561.jpeg

Great photo. I love that you ask for ceramic coffee mugs. Is this the IC? If so, I’m there every morning early … and then again … and probably again. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Yes, I think so!  It really does make a world of difference.  
I would treasure going to a Reidel wine course.  Not sure if they still have them but we had such a great time going to the wine blending and the champagne tasting at Vines on different Princess ships!  They were definitely highlights of some of our cruises.  

We were amazed the first time we had wine in a proper glass. Like many, we thought people were being "wine snobs" when they said the wine actually tasted better from a proper glass. All it took was one experience to change our minds.

Thanks so much for this review. I've been hoping for someone to do this on Discovery. Looking forward to our TSE cruise in April. We booked a Dolphin Deck balcony with a larger balcony. Hoping for a great cruise on a ship we've never sailed before.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

Great photo. I love that you ask for ceramic coffee mugs. Is this the IC? If so, I’m there every morning early … and then again … and probably again. 

If I was having a "regular" coffee or even a Cappuccino a ceramic mug is great. However, starting the day with a Vanilla Latte with 3 shots of espresso makes the smaller container a non-starter.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Thrak said:

We were amazed the first time we had wine in a proper glass. Like many, we thought people were being "wine snobs" when they said the wine actually tasted better from a proper glass. All it took was one experience to change our minds.

Thanks so much for this review. I've been hoping for someone to do this on Discovery. Looking forward to our TSE cruise in April. We booked a Dolphin Deck balcony with a larger balcony. Hoping for a great cruise on a ship we've never sailed before.

I even think soda taste better in a nice glass. But I would be way too embarrassed to ask for that. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thrak said:

If I was having a "regular" coffee or even a Cappuccino a ceramic mug is great. However, starting the day with a Vanilla Latte with 3 shots of espresso makes the smaller container a non-starter.

Maybe order the cup and ask for an empty ceramic mug and pour as you go? (I would not be too embarrassed to try that.) I like the idea of relaxing and having a coffee at the table just like in the picture shown. 

@Cruise Raider @Thrak @New2cruise2022 :

I have to say that I am always confounded when I see a Sommelier and a "Wine expert" drinking out of stemless wine glasses or stubby decorated Libby-type glasses! I belong to a wine group and time after time, I see these two women drinking out of improper wine vessels. It is a fun wine group who meets and we have a wine theme each time. And this is what would inevitably happen each time. I offer that I am the ONLY one who brings a Riedel or Spieglau wine glass (you bring your own glass).

6 hours ago, New2cruise2022 said:

Yes, it is at the IC.  I liked the old style cups better but these certainly will do as long as the coffee is good. And, this morning, the coffee was great!