Very Confused Between RCCL and NCL 4 Day Cruise.

Daruma

Then you've made up your mind?  I guess I'm asking what is it that you're looking for from us?  Serous question...not meant to be snarky.

If you like the Royal Cruise, take it.  If you do not see the value in one cruise over another, take the cheaper one.

Personally, FAS is a major reason I pick NCL cruises over the others.  But, if all you want is a bare bones cruise, go with the cheapest fare (i.e. my Carnival suggestion) on any lines' oldest ships.  That's where you'll find cheap fares.

I also would never sail on an itinerary less than 7 days.  But, that's just me.

Last year I took a 7-day NCL cruise on one of their "Away" ships to New England with FAS for about $800.  Point is, on any given week, any given itinerary, you can find "deals" if you're willing to shop.

Sounds like you're not restricted to a give week given you are looking at two cruises on two different lines, on itineraries a month apart.  That alone means it's not apples to apples.  The NCL cruise is obviously more popular given its price delta.  And, as you point out, they are sailing to more ports.  So, it's not apples to apples.

Only you can decide which itinerary works best for you.  

• Thanks 1

Sometimes NCL is cheaper than RCCL and sometimes its not.  Only you can answer if its worth it to you.  For me, I would choose the Jade even with the price difference.  The Grandeur is the smallest and oldest ship in Royal's fleet and looks like it hasn't been renovated since 2012.  Look at the reviews on here.  I had to go back 4 pages before I found a positive review.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/cruise/royal-caribbean/grandeur-of-the-seas/reviews

• Thanks 1

If this is your son’s graduation gift maybe ask him what ship and itinerary he prefers? Personally I would pick the ship with more port stops as those 4 day cruises are essentially booze cruises anyways and I’d rather be on land then be surrounded by huge group of partiers taking up the pool deck. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

As you and everyone else in this thread has proven, you're not comparing apples to apples.

NCL has FAS, RCCL does not

NCL has 2 more stops, RCCL does not

NCL ship is 10 years newer

NCL sailing is August, RCCL is end of September

If none of this is important to you, then you should choose RCCL!!

Thank you.

1) For a short 4 day cruise, what's offered with FAS isn't worth double the price to me.

2) The two more stops may be worth it to me, need to ponder that a bit more, and look into those stops, and what they offer.

3) Since my last cruise was on Disney when my now 22 yr old was 8... I don't know if I care much about the age difference in ships to be honest. 

4) Aug vs Sept doesn't matter a whole lot, hurricanes aren't much different between those times, being a Floridian, I know.

Again, thank you for the succinct breakdown. 

10 minutes ago, JustAPilot said:

If this is your son’s graduation gift maybe ask him what ship and itinerary he prefers? Personally I would pick the ship with more port stops as those 4 day cruises are essentially booze cruises anyways and I’d rather be on land then be surrounded by huge group of partiers taking up the pool deck. 

No, he, and a plethora of friends, are already booked on the Grandeur of the Seas for the last week of August 2024, (he graduates May 2024), I was just saying that I could ask him his thoughts when he gets back.

I hadn't thought of the booze cruise thing... really? I don't drink, and honestly hate being around drunk people... I've been getting concerned already about my 4/13/25 Escape cruise given the nauseating amount of alcohol obsessed threads on this board... wondering if I'd enjoy my cruise or not, and I've been wondering about whether or not I even want to cruise at all.

If either cruise is essentially a booze cruise, I may just skip a 4 day cruise altogether. 

Thank you for that info.

16 hours ago, Daruma said:

No, what I meant was I don't care about the WiFi or Speciality Dining that's included in FAS... but if I DID care about Speciality Dining, I could add UNLIMITED Speciality Dining on the RCCL cruise, vs only getting 2 on NCL, and still only come out to $980 vs $1,380.

I don't drink alcohol, so I'd have to upgrade NCL's FAS anyway to get soda, water, juice, coffee/tea, etc... for about the same $150 for RCCL's "Refeshment Package" so that's a wash.

The FAS includes soda and virgin drinks, and you can get free juice, coffee, tea and water in the buffet.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

The FAS includes soda and virgin drinks, and you can get free juice, coffee, tea and water in the buffet.

Good point, thank you. 

8 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

Thanks for that info.  It is due for dry dock a month before we board.  The price is right and the itinerary (Italy and Croatia) is perfect so . . . as long as it floats, lol.

Ah.  Perhaps waiting for dry dock to get an all around paint job vs just touch ups.

10 minutes ago, Daruma said:

I hadn't thought of the booze cruise thing... really? I don't drink, and honestly hate being around drunk people... I've been getting concerned already about my 4/13/25 Escape cruise given the nauseating amount of alcohol obsessed threads on this board... wondering if I'd enjoy my cruise or not, and I've been wondering about whether or not I even want to cruise at all.

In my limited "booze cruise" experience (just 1 Carnival 4 night from LA late Sept many years ago), being on what some will treat as a booze cruise may not impact you that much. We  were newish to cruising and had no idea on the cruise it was considered a booze cruise. Although we drink, we are a little older so aren't generally in the "hopping" areas of the ships and don't have a clue what was happening after 10;00 pm. I think you can always find places to be on any ship to avoid the boozy crowd (at least we always seem to be able to avoid them)

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

In my limited "booze cruise" experience (just 1 Carnival 4 night from LA late Sept many years ago), being on what some will treat as a booze cruise may not impact you that much. We  were newish to cruising and had no idea on the cruise it was considered a booze cruise. Although we drink, we are a little older so aren't generally in the "hopping" areas of the ships and don't have a clue what was happening after 10;00 pm. I think you can always find places to be on any ship to avoid the boozy crowd (at least we always seem to be able to avoid them)

Thank you... I tend to hit the sack around 9/9:30pm, (though I usually read for an hour or so before actually falling asleep) ... so I guess I might not notice it much... and I'm up, out & about around 6:30am... most boozers are probably still drooling on their pillows at that time, lol.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, WillCruiseForMoney said:

The price difference is related to dates of the cruises.

August is the end of peak season for the Caribbean.  Many kids do not go back to school before labor day.  

If cost is your priority do RCCL.

Hadn't really thought of that, thank you. 

Cost isn't my priority, value is... if that makes sense? 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Daruma said:

Thank you.

1) For a short 4 day cruise, what's offered with FAS isn't worth double the price to me.

2) The two more stops may be worth it to me, need to ponder that a bit more, and look into those stops, and what they offer.

3) Since my last cruise was on Disney when my now 22 yr old was 8... I don't know if I care much about the age difference in ships to be honest. 

4) Aug vs Sept doesn't matter a whole lot, hurricanes aren't much different between those times, being a Floridian, I know.

Again, thank you for the succinct breakdown. 

You asked why it's double the price and I told you, as most on here already have. 

You're not choosing between comparable cruises. 

23 minutes ago, Daruma said:

Thank you... I tend to hit the sack around 9/9:30pm, (though I usually read for an hour or so before actually falling asleep) ... so I guess I might not notice it much... and I'm up, out & about around 6:30am... most boozers are probably still drooling on their pillows at that time, lol.

I'm a boozer who never does less than a 7 day sailing. Doing 10 in April. 

I hit the sack around 11pm and I'm up at 5:30 so I can go to the gym and then get my boozing started again. Rinse and repeat. 

Kind of like Groundhog Day! Lmao 😂 

And I only drool while I'm drinking 🍻 

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Daruma said:

Hadn't really thought of that, thank you. 

Cost isn't my priority, value is... if that makes sense? 

Like you I like to look at it in terms of "value", and the only way to really know is to test the waters. If I were you, I would book the RCL. Worst case it comes up short in terms of experience and now you know for future bookings. It at least gives you a reference for "how much more would I pay for XXX over YYY" .

A simple example for us is we have always been inside cruisers on older ships (we're proudly frugal). Since Covid, we splurged up to aft balconies and some newer ships, but what we have discovered is we prefer to save the money and cruise older ships in inside cabins.

Ironically, as this is the NCL board, our upcoming NCL cruise is one of the outliers for us where we are "splurging" to check out the Viva. I fully expect we will enjoy the cruise, but in the future not pay the money it typically costs for a new ship like the Viva.

1 minute ago, rodndonna said:

Like you I like to look at it in terms of "value", and the only way to really know is to test the waters. If I were you, I would book the RCL. Worst case it comes up short in terms of experience and now you know for future bookings. It at least gives you a reference for "how much more would I pay for XXX over YYY" .

A simple example for us is we have always been inside cruisers on older ships (we're proudly frugal). Since Covid, we splurged up to aft balconies and some newer ships, but what we have discovered is we prefer to save the money and cruise older ships in inside cabins.

Ironically, as this is the NCL board, our upcoming NCL cruise is one of the outliers for us where we are "splurging" to check out the Viva. I fully expect we will enjoy the cruise, but in the future not pay the money it typically costs for a new ship like the Viva.

Thank you.

As I read more and more, I do think, since I'm going on a "splurgy" NCL Escape cruise in 2025, that I just might take the RCCL cruise as a point of comparison of what I enjoy, (not comparing the ships/cruise lines... just what I might like).

• Like 1

OP...hard to pin point what it is you're looking for.  Don't know why.

But, some observations based on what you've posted....

-if you don't drink

-if dates for the cruise don't matter

-if ship condition doesn't matter

-if itinerary doesn't matter

-if you tend to be in bed by 9-9:30 (as you stated)

-if you don't drink and don't like being around people who do

I think you answered your own question.  Cruising isn't for you.  

Go to Disney parks for a few days with your son.  22 is a bit older, but I know people in their 70s who love Disney.  Find a cabin in the Smoky Mountains, where Gatlinburg is close by.  That's a little cheesy, but I personally like cheesy every once in a while.

Want to go upscale?

Sept or October?  In October, kids are in school (which is probably the biggest variable in the cruise fares).  October is the start of ski season.  Go to a ski resort.  If you don't know how to ski, instructors there will help teach you.  But, at night there are usually people around dipping into the libations.

I think you need to go back and reprice the NCL trip. Not sure how you're coming up with a price over 1K when I'm seeing $838 for a solo traveler in an inside cabin with all the FAS perks.

image.thumb.png.0d2982ec285a67620666012e7f40fb04.png

For comparison, your RCC trip (without drink package or specialty dining or anything else for that matter) is cheaper, yes, but just under $700. I picked mid-ship to be a better fair comparison to the mid-ship cabin on NCL (your original mock booking had you aft).

image.thumb.png.8e4b10d1238d14ed10033536e35cb2bd.png

If it were me.... for an extra $140 I'll take NCL with drinks, dining, and limited wifi.

NCL also has new solo cabins starting this year where a single traveler can get into an oceanview or balcony at a discounted rate. So don't feel like you have to 'settle' for an inside to save money since you're traveling alone. The mark up to move from the inside to oceanview on that NCL trip is an extra ~$180 and to move to a solo balcony is ~$1500 total.

For comparison, your Royal trip as a solo in an ocean view would be an extra $300 from the inside price, and to go to a balcony as a solo total cost would be $2500.

So again - depends on what is more important to you. But the funny thing about data is you can tell whatever story you want if you know how to just display it in a favorable way for your tale. But regardless - go double check your prices for the NCL trips as a solo traveler and select the "Solo Interior" or "Solo Oceanview/Balcony" and see for yourself. Your original estimate of $1300+ is way off base.

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

I think you need to go back and reprice the NCL trip. Not sure how you're coming up with a price over 1K when I'm seeing $838 for a solo traveler in an inside cabin with all the FAS perks.

image.thumb.png.0d2982ec285a67620666012e7f40fb04.png

For comparison, your RCC trip (without drink package or specialty dining or anything else for that matter) is cheaper, yes, but just under $700. I picked mid-ship to be a better fair comparison to the mid-ship cabin on NCL (your original mock booking had you aft).

image.thumb.png.8e4b10d1238d14ed10033536e35cb2bd.png

If it were me.... for an extra $140 I'll take NCL with drinks, dining, and limited wifi.

NCL also has new solo cabins starting this year where a single traveler can get into an oceanview or balcony at a discounted rate. So don't feel like you have to 'settle' for an inside to save money since you're traveling alone. The mark up to move from the inside to oceanview on that NCL trip is an extra ~$180 and to move to a solo balcony is ~$1500 total.

For comparison, your Royal trip as a solo in an ocean view would be an extra $300 from the inside price, and to go to a balcony as a solo total cost would be $2500.

So again - depends on what is more important to you. But the funny thing about data is you can tell whatever story you want if you know how to just display it in a favorable way for your tale. But regardless - go double check your prices for the NCL trips as a solo traveler and select the "Solo Interior" or "Solo Oceanview/Balcony" and see for yourself. Your original estimate of $1300+ is way off base.

Hmmmm... this is what I'm seeing, take $179 difference off due to this quote including cancelation insurance... so NCL = $1,209 vs RCCL = $680.

Screenshot_20240108_120207_Brave.jpg

Edited by Daruma

13 minutes ago, Daruma said:

Hmmmm... this is what I'm seeing, take $179 difference off due to this quote including cancelation insurance... so NCL = $1,209 

You have choosen a family inside. Why not a solo inside?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Asawi said:

You have choosen a family inside. Why not a solo inside?

Wasn't offered, no solo cabin/studio was offered... the cheapest cabin option offered was that family inside, despite my selecting only 1 passenger.

According to an answer to my other thread about this very thing... it would seem that solo studios are not available on the Jade.

13 minutes ago, Daruma said:

Wasn't offered, no solo cabin/studio was offered... the cheapest cabin option offered was that family inside, despite my selecting only 1 passenger.

According to an answer to my other thread about this very thing... it would seem that solo studios are not available on the Jade.

Ah, I see. I wondered becasue that other person had solo cabin. But I didn't check any details. 

7 hours ago, Daruma said:

Beware of that late season sailing date...but not late for hurricanes!

20 hours ago, Daruma said:

Not true. I literally priced out exactly what you were looking at for the Jade and was given the choice for a solo inside. Hence why my price is much lower than yours. You're booking the 'wrong' cabin.

Change the # of guests to 1 on the top left first, then the solo options open up. They're much cheaper. I literally just went to the website again right now and family inside is the MOST expensive, not least. If you're having issues with the website for whatever reason just call them and ask for a quote on the phone.

image.thumb.png.b9ad7bacd564ecc5a2371e42726a848b.png

• Like 4