QE Launderettes

57eric

The QM2 deck plan clearly shows the entrance to the deck 11 launderette on the port side.  It isn't.

I'm now planning a QE voyage and will be on either deck 5 or 6.  The deck plan in each case appears to show access to the launderettes from both sides.  As I have learned to be mistrustful of this type of information, can anyone enlighten me as to the actual situation here?

Yes, the launderettes on QE (and QV) are narrower than QM2, but go from the port to the starboard side corridors, and is in the same mid aft location on the hotel decks. There is therefore access to the launderette without passing via the lift lobby, which is I guess your concern here.

5 hours ago, Pushpit said:

Yes, the launderettes on QE (and QV) are narrower than QM2, but go from the port to the starboard side corridors, and is in the same mid aft location on the hotel decks. There is therefore access to the launderette without passing via the lift lobby, which is I guess your concern here.

I have checked the deck plans in case my memory is faulty.  We have been on decks 5 and 6.  The launderettes are in what Cunard calls the mid-forward section, not mid-aft. They are half-way between the "A" and the "B" stairs/lifts. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, david,Mississauga said:

I have checked the deck plans in case my memory is faulty.  We have been on decks 5 and 6.  The launderettes are in what Cunard calls the mid-forward section, not mid-aft. They are half-way between the "A" and the "B" stairs/lifts. 

My apologies, you are correct, and getting my forward and backs mixed up, which is silly since my current QV stateroom is mid forward and near the launderette!

12 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

My apologies, you are correct, and getting my forward and backs mixed up, which is silly since my current QV stateroom is mid forward and near the launderette!

No apology needed. It is easily done - even on board. Our most recent time on the QE was our fourth cruise and twice I went to the far aft when I was meaning to go far forward.  We have been on the QM2 more times than on the QE and I still get mixed up occasionally.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Just be careful opening the door. Machines go all the way to one door, and the ironing board is near the other door, so you might bump someone.

And there's very little room between the ironing board and the aft bulkhead, so I preferred entering via the starboard door even though my stateroom was on the port side - but midships so it was only a minor diversion through stairwell A.

That way I could avoid trying to squeeze past whoever was ironing at the time - at least until the iron broke about halfway through the voyage and wasn't fixed before the end.

38 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

No squeezing past folk needed to enter the laundrettes on QE/QV.

I found I kept having to get the person ironing to either move aside or stand real close to the ironing board to make room.  At least on deck 4.

And my beer belly isn't that big.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Perthlings said:

I found I kept having to get the person ironing to either move aside or stand real close to the ironing board to make room.  At least on deck 4.

And my beer belly isn't that big.

Maybe the folk ironing when I enter, stand close  but as I said, it's snug but 'passable'.

Edited by Victoria2

On QV in November, they had little boxes of powdered detergent. Given the small size of the washers, I think there was way too much in the box for one load, although the directions on the box said to use the whole box. I think I used half, maybe a third, and the clothes came out fine.

No dryer sheets are provided, but clothes came out of the dryer soft enough for me.

I did see someone use one of those dissolvable paper soaps, and someone with a little travel-size packet of liquid detergent, but most people used the soap the ship provded. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

There is also a very efficient and relatively cheap laundry service.

And miss the gossip that flows through the launderette???

Now that there are multiple launderettes, there's less stress/drama than we used to see on QE2. On QV, I seemed to run into the same people in the launderette, quite a congenial group. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The washing machines take around 40 minutes, depending on factors like temperature and load size, there is a clear timer on the display.

The dryers, that's a bit trickier: the dryers work on the basis of detecting when the moisture is removed so they typically show a percentage dry, and then drop down to 0%. However this doesn't always go the way one thinks, it gets to say 3% and can then stick there for a bit since there is perhaps something in the wash which is taking longer than it should to dry.  A snall load can take 20 minutes or so, 30 minutes for a medium load with some slow to dry items. Some people set the programme dial to force a long drying time, in most cases that's just inconsiderate and unnecessary. 

If you allow an hour for wash then dry then that will cover it, particularly if you're ok to let some items dry hanging up in your stateroom just to finish off.

• Thanks 1

There is a small chart on the wall in the QV laundrettes which give the times of the washes and any additional programme such as extra rinse etc.

I just put the dryers on for a certain time and pop back to see if it's done the trick. If not, it gets extra time.

What I would say is take note of the timings and be there a few mins before programmes end so YOU take out your washing and no one else gets there before you.

Edit

I assume QE has a similar set up

Edited by Victoria2
  • Thanks 1

Has anyone been on board QE recently? We were on in November and there were quite a few machines out of service which meant it was quite tough to get a machine. Possibly exacerbated by the length of the voyage.

• Thanks 1

On 1/8/2024 at 3:31 PM, 57eric said:

The QM2 deck plan clearly shows the entrance to the deck 11 launderette on the port side.  It isn't.

I'm now planning a QE voyage and will be on either deck 5 or 6.  The deck plan in each case appears to show access to the launderettes from both sides.  As I have learned to be mistrustful of this type of information, can anyone enlighten me as to the actual situation here?

As has been said earlier, yes, there is an entrance on both sides of the ship and as is my style here is the photographic evidence...

laundrette1.thumb.jpg.959007719124edf57656ada3737adccd.jpg

laundrette2.thumb.jpg.edcc00af4ff95dff1f2eebec269bf660.jpg

Mind, if I happened to be on a 9 night cruise with thousands $$ OBC you'd never find me near the place .  😂 😂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1