Coral, sapphire or Caribbean princess in Alaska?

cbowls30

Love Sapphire with the extra wide promenade and the big Caribe Deck half-covered balconies. Having said that, I would choose Coral Princess. We have a favorite cabin on that ship. Oddly enough, it's an Ocean View cabin.

It's all the way aft and the window looks out onto a rear observation deck with multiple loungers. Most folks don't ever go all the way down the hall to discover that aft viewing deck and it ends up being a semi-private and huge "balcony" for us. I've tried to see into the room through the window and, during the day, even if I press my face to the window, I can't see inside the cabin if the sheer curtains are pulled. At night we do close the heavy drapes for privacy.

We've spent some great times on that deck in the evening watching the dolphins play in the wake and also watched a (distant) lightning display that was awesome. Like I said, most folks don't seem to even know this deck exists and we love having the semi-private "balcony" just a few steps from the cabin door. The cabin we choose is B731. There is an identical cabin on the Port side of the ship.

The cabin we choose is the first window next to the nearest door in the photo below.

CoralPrincess-BajaAftViewingDeck.jpg.709f1f38c2da2245c7545aa837d966f8.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I hope OP doesn't mind me tagging along with a question.

What if the choice is between Sapphire on Northbound and Caribbean on Southbound? I have read Southbound is preferred over Northbound.

LAX

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LAX said:

What if the choice is between Sapphire on Northbound and Caribbean on Southbound? I have read Southbound is preferred over Northbound.

LAX

It may behoove you to start your own thread with your question. If the direction is important, then post it on the Caribbean board.

13 hours ago, LAX said:

LAX

If you are doing a cruise tour I would recommend the southbound. The land portion can be a bit hectic with changing hotels and transportation. Then you get on the ship and just relax.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2024 at 8:58 AM, cbowls30 said:

Anyone have any thoughts on royal princess for Alaska? We just realised it's another option. Like the idea of a slightly newer ship after recent bad experiences on ships circa 15/20 years old! 

I was on Royal once for Alaska.  I would never do it again.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, cbowls30 said:

Interested to hear why it wasn't good? Thanks

Sailed outside Vancouver Island instead of inside so two days of stunning scenery lost.  Missed a port when other ships got in because the ship has poor handling performance in the wind. Promenade deck doesn’t go around the ship so not much opportunity to walk around the ship outside with seating to watch the ocean.  The ship was crowded and didn’t even bother to go to events in the plaza.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, wolfie11 said:

Sailed outside Vancouver Island instead of inside so two days of stunning scenery lost.  Missed a port when other ships got in because the ship has poor handling performance in the wind. Promenade deck doesn’t go around the ship so not much opportunity to walk around the ship outside with seating to watch the ocean.  The ship was crowded and didn’t even bother to go to events in the plaza.

Going on the west side of Vancouver Island is because you departed from Seattle. Correct? It has nothing to do with the Royal. departures from Vancouver, BC travel on the east side of the island except when returning to Vancouver and stopping in Victoria.

50 minutes ago, nini said:

Going on the west side of Vancouver Island is because you departed from Seattle. Correct? It has nothing to do with the Royal. departures from Vancouver, BC travel on the east side of the island except when returning to Vancouver and stopping in Victoria.

I haven't sailed a Royal class ship in Alaska, but doesn't this Princess map indicate that all Royal class ships travel west of Vancouver Island even from Vancouver?  I thought it was due to the Royal class ship size and not what port they sailed from.  I could be wrong.  

Alaska cruisetour map.jpg

Edited by Paula_MacFan

On 1/14/2024 at 12:57 AM, LAX said:

LAX

I would not do the Caribbean Princess at all.

28 minutes ago, Paula_MacFan said:

I haven't sailed a Royal class ship in Alaska, but doesn't this Princess map indicate that all Royal class ships travel west of Vancouver Island even from Vancouver?  I thought it was due to the Royal class ship size and not what port they sailed from.  I could be wrong.  

Alaska cruisetour map.jpg

It is not the ship. It is the departure port. Maybe the departure port is dictated by the ship's size, therefore in a roundabout way, being determined by the ship.

We have taken Grand class ships from both Vancouver and Seattle.

Edited by nini
added words

9 minutes ago, nini said:

It is not the ship. It is the departure port. Maybe the departure port is dictated by the ship's size, therefore in a roundabout way, being determined by the ship.

We have taken Grand class ships from both Vancouver and Seattle.

I've taken Grand class ships from Seattle too so I'm aware they go west of Vancouver Island. But I thought from numerous reviews and the Princess map that all Royal class ships go west regardless of originating point. I only responded about Royal class since that was the question, and if you want to sail east of VI then don't chose a Royal class ship. 

Edited by Paula_MacFan

3 minutes ago, Paula_MacFan said:

I've taken Grand class ships from Seattle too so I'm aware they go west of Vancouver Island. But I thought from numerous reviews and the Princess map that all Royal class ships go west regardless of originating point. I only responded about Royal class since that was the question.

That may be because they are larger and are not appropriate or permitted to depart from Vancouver.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nini said:

That may be because they are larger and are not appropriate or permitted to depart from Vancouver.

The Princess map I posted in #36 shows Royal class ships sailing from Vancouver. The map key shows the black dotted line and 'Royal Class Ship Route'.

All Royal class ships sailing from Vancouver go on the outside of Vancouver Island.  No exceptions.  The BC pilots and powers that be will not allow them to transit Seymour Narrows because of their poor handling capabilities in any kind of wind.  The ship is also restricted from entering Alaska ports in winds of over 25 knots blowing on their beam.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

All Royal class ships sailing from Vancouver go on the outside of Vancouver Island.  No exceptions.  The BC pilots and powers that be will not allow them to transit Seymour Narrows because of their poor handling capabilities in any kind of wind.  The ship is also restricted from entering Alaska ports in winds of over 25 knots blowing on their beam.

I thought I was saying that too but you said it with more facts and authority so thanks 😊 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coral said:

I would not do the Caribbean Princess at all.

To anywhere or just Alaska? Is it that bad?

LAX

3 minutes ago, LAX said:

To anywhere or just Alaska? Is it that bad?

LAX

The space ratio on this ship compared to Sapphire and Coral Princess is worse, meaning it will be more crowded. For example - there is 500 more passengers on the Caribbean Princess compared to Sapphire Princess (an extra deck of passengers). Plus Sapphire and Coral Princess have a covered pool area which even if you are not using the pool, it spreads passengers out. Caribbean Princess doesn't have that.

• 2 weeks later...

@cbowls30 May I ask what made you ultimately book the Sapphire?  I read through all of these answers and although I find the responses helpful, none of them quite spoke to traveling with teenagers.  I too am thinking of Princess for Alaska but will have two teenagers in the group.  I had narrowed it down to Sapphire vs. Coral.  The one response I did see, said teens would be super bored on Coral.  I am wondering why that is.  

10 minutes ago, Kingsmom said:

@cbowls30 May I ask what made you ultimately book the Sapphire?  I read through all of these answers and although I find the responses helpful, none of them quite spoke to traveling with teenagers.  I too am thinking of Princess for Alaska but will have two teenagers in the group.  I had narrowed it down to Sapphire vs. Coral.  The one response I did see, said teens would be super bored on Coral.  I am wondering why that is.  

The choice of itinerary may be more important than the choice of ship. For first time in Alaska, I recommend Glacier Bay National Park. It's not just the difference in the glaciers - it's the park rangers who will be onboard. One ranger will give commentary from the bridge. Another one will work directly with the kids. You didn't state the ages of your teenagers. There's a lot of difference between a 13-year-old and a 19-year-old. Anyone over 17 cannot participate in the kid's programs. For younger teenagers, I believe the park ranger run program in Glacier Bay National Park may be more interesting than anything at the other glaciers.

Another decision is one way vs. round trip. The one-way itineraries often have two days of glacier viewing; the round trips usually have only one. The one-way itineraries may be more convenient to fly to and from but the glacier viewing onboard is usually not as good.

If you do the one-way, most people prefer southbound. A pre-cruise ground trip lets you get the more strenuous part over with first and then relax on the ship. Also, I prefer the longer flight before the cruise when I'm exciting about going and the shorter flight going home. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Kingsmom said:

I too am thinking of Princess for Alaska but will have two teenagers in the group.  I had narrowed it down to Sapphire vs. Coral.  The one response I did see, said teens would be super bored on Coral.  I am wondering why that is.  

I am thinking Sapphire will offer more options for entertainment etc. than Coral will due to larger size and number of venues.

Regards John

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sadly the Royal has no wrap around prom deck as it seems that there are lots of shops there instead of a prom deck.  Great just what is needed, more shops and less outdoor places to walk, sit and enjoy the views. 

There are two tiny outdoor spaces in the back but starboard side is lots of smokers puffing away and neither side has very much seating. 

The "walking" space is on one of the top decks, open to the elements with lot of wind, potential rain, and about 16 laps to the mile.  Horrible place for anyone half serious about walking.  Also you get to look down to the ocean about 15 decks below through usually dirty plexiglass.

So if you want more shops then Royal may be the choice.  If you want nice outdoor areas to enjoy views and walking that are mostly shielded from the elements and make you feel like you are on a ship and not a floating shopping mall I would look elsewhere.

6 hours ago, john watson said:

I am thinking Sapphire will offer more options for entertainment etc. than Coral will due to larger size and number of venues.

Regards John

I very much agree.

• Like 1