Carnival Valor Christmas Cruise MDR food

BlerkOne

Crawfish Strudal

001: Carnival Valor Christmas Cruise, New Orleans MDR Dinner, Crawfish Strudel,

Szechuan Shrimp

002: Carnival Valor Christmas Cruise, New Orleans MDR Dinner, Szechuan Shrimp,

BBQ Salmon

P1010148_DxO.jpg

I think I'd give the edge to the Szechuan Shrimp, but enjoyed both very much and will enjoy again. When salmon came out, I was thinking what in the heck is on top, then remembered onion rings. I was afraid they might be soggy or otherwise off, but they were crisp and delicious.

Navel Orange Cake

004: Carnival Valor Christmas Cruise, New Orleans MDR Dinner, Navel Orange Cake,

I though the Navel Orange Cake was a little weak, but what do you want from a no sugar added dessert? It works.

Cheesecake:

Now we're talking!

P1010152_DxO.jpg

• Like 4

Tasty bread and real butter

001: Carnival Valor Christmas Cruise, Sea Day 1, MDR Dinner, Dinner Bread

French Onion Soup - not as good as the steakhouse, but you get what you pay for

002: Carnival Valor Christmas Cruise, Sea Day 1, MDR Dinner, French Onion Soup,

Vine Ripened Tomatoes and Chopped Lettuce

003: Carnival Valor Christmas Cruise, Sea Day 1, MDR Dinner, Vine Ripened Totmatoes and Chopped Lettuce

Fried Mississippi Catfish - this was pretty good, but not as good as we have back home. But then, we have the best!

004: Carnival Valor Christmas Cruise, Sea Day 1, MDR Dinner, Fried Mississippi Catfish

Pepper Steak - this was surprisingly really good.

005: Carnival Valor Christmas Cruise, Sea Day 1, MDR Dinner, Pepper Steak

Tiramisu - not much on presentation, but very good

006: Carnival Valor Christmas Cruise, Sea Day 1, MDR Dinner, Tiramisu

Bartlett Pear Almond Cake - no sugar added, so a little weak.

007: Carnival Valor Christmas Cruise, Sea Day 1, MDR Dinner, Bartlett Pear Almond Cake

I would get all of these again, except maybe the pear thing.

• Like 2

BBQ Spring Roll

001: Carnival Valor Christmas Cruise, Cozumel,  MDR Dinner, BBQ Beef Spring Roll,

Beef Steak Salad

002: Carnival Valor Christmas Cruise, Cozumel,  MDR Dinner, Beef Steak Salad,

Cast Iron Bronzed Fish

003: Carnival Valor Christmas Cruise, Cozumel,  MDR Dinner, Cast Iron Bronzed Fish

Really liked all of the above. Especially liked the kick of the andouille sausage with the fish.

Cappuccino Pot De Creme

004: Carnival Valor Christmas Cruise, Cozumel,  MDR Dinner, Cappuccino Pot De Creme

Banana Creme Pie - I think this might be the same as on the Brunch menu

005: Carnival Valor Christmas Cruise, Cozumel,  MDR Dinner, Banana Creme Pie

I would get all of the above again.

• Like 3

Thanks for posting these! I forgot to take screenshots of the menus when I was on the Spirit over Christmas. 

Quick question: Did you try ordering anything from the Vegan menu at all? We tried a couple times, but both times the waiter just looked confused, left for a moment and came back to tell us it wasn't available. 

4 minutes ago, MisterOJ2 said:

Thanks for posting these! I forgot to take screenshots of the menus when I was on the Spirit over Christmas. 

Quick question: Did you try ordering anything from the Vegan menu at all? We tried a couple times, but both times the waiter just looked confused, left for a moment and came back to tell us it wasn't available. 

You're welcome. I did not try any of the vegan. This was my first look at the new menus and wanted to try the real deal first.

Meanwhile I have made myself hungry, so time for a king cake break!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

You're welcome. I did not try any of the vegan. This was my first look at the new menus and wanted to try the real deal first.

Meanwhile I have made myself hungry, so time for a king cake break!

It was my first time with the new menus too. I was pretty happy with them overall. I know you said you liked the BBQ Beef Spring Roll. That was one of the few missteps for me. Mine were basically just some barbecue beef in a spring roll wrapper. I sorta wondered if that was the way they were supposed to be, or if the cooks on the Spirit just hadn't gotten the hang of those yet.

1 hour ago, MisterOJ2 said:

It was my first time with the new menus too. I was pretty happy with them overall. I know you said you liked the BBQ Beef Spring Roll. That was one of the few missteps for me. Mine were basically just some barbecue beef in a spring roll wrapper. I sorta wondered if that was the way they were supposed to be, or if the cooks on the Spirit just hadn't gotten the hang of those yet.

I think that was pretty much it and exactly what I was expecting. I guess I appreciated something different from the everyday spring roll things. Not something I had seen before. Different from the Japanese version. Murican, doncha know?

Parched Pig Ale and Cheddar Soup - always good

002: Carnival Valor Christmas Cruise, Progreso, MDR Dinner, Parched Pig Ale and Cheddar Soup

Fried Tomatoes - Enjoyed these

003: Carnival Valor Christmas Cruise, Progreso, MDR Dinner, Fried Tomatoes

, Jerk Spiced Pork Chop - excellent. Pre-covid, Carnival was known for serving some tasty port chops. Then pork availability decreased and prices shot up. Well, it seems they are back!!!

005: Carnival Valor Christmas Cruise, Progreso, MDR Dinner, Jerk Spiced Pork Chop

Coffee Glazed Roast Duck - this was really good. Not so sure how much coffee is in the coffee glaze. I kept thinking there must be some molasses or similar in there.

008: Carnival Valor Christmas Cruise, Progreso, MDR Dinner, Coffee Glazed Roast Duck

Cheese Plate

009: Carnival Valor Christmas Cruise, Progreso, MDR Dinner, Cheese Plate

Baked Alaska - this was good, but the serving/presentation was weak.

012: Carnival Valor Christmas Cruise, Progreso, MDR Dinner, Baked Alaska

Looking forward to getting all of these again.

• Like 3

Tonight some hard choices to make and I missed one or two items I meant to get... Oh well. Also picture quality declined. Yep, probably too much cheer.

Roasted Pumpkin Soup

PXL_20231226_023100756_DxO.jpg

BLT Wedge Salad

PXL_20231226_023840377.MP_DxO.jpg

Grilled Black Tiger Jumbo Shrimps

PXL_20231226_024807322_DxO.jpg

Classic Bourbon Pecan Pie

PXL_20231226_030548681_DxO.jpg

PXL_20231226_031711547_DxO.jpg

• Like 3

On the Christmas dinner, I wasn't that hungry and played it too safe. I thought the turkey might have been the usual turkey roll stuff, but that didn't appear to be what I saw on another tables plate. I probably should have tried it.

Perhaps I should have tried the Lobster and Crab soup. Don't know if I'll see that again on a menu.

I meant to try the Eggnog Cheesecake, but forgot to order it from the different section of the menu.

All in all, very impressed with the new menus and looking forward to trying them again on longer cruises. A real winner IMO.

• Like 2

Thanks for the great review!  You weren't missing much with the Lobster & Crab Soup.  We had it on Elation and it was watery and tasteless.  I'll be on Freedom this Monday.  Maybe I'll try the Lobster & Crab soup....or maybe not😉

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

On the Christmas dinner, I wasn't that hungry and played it too safe. I thought the turkey might have been the usual turkey roll stuff, but that didn't appear to be what I saw on another tables plate. I probably should have tried it.

Perhaps I should have tried the Lobster and Crab soup. Don't know if I'll see that again on a menu.

I meant to try the Eggnog Cheesecake, but forgot to order it from the different section of the menu.

All in all, very impressed with the new menus and looking forward to trying them again on longer cruises. A real winner IMO.

Thanks for the pics, agree on the assessment of the new menus.  

• Like 1