The Key....What's the most you will pay for it?

I enjoyed the key perks on Allure. We walked right on the ship embarkation day, lunch was quiet and relaxing.  We kept one small essential bag with us and other bags were waiting for us in the room around 1:30.  We travel light so we only brought carry ons. I really enjoyed not having to hunt for a theater seat.  We didn’t have the  best or closest seats but definitely good seats.  No longer getting to the theater early only to find row after row after row  of people saving seats was a big plus. Royal sucks at enforcing the no saving seat policy. My friend would sit in the seat anyway and ignore the dirty looks and comments.   I send a lot of texts, emails and picts to friends and family so internet was great. Breakfast on the last day was very good.  We walked quickly off Allure.  A wonderful way to end the cruise.  Only you can decide what these perks are worth to you. We didn’t use all the available perks   We enjoyed the ones we did use especially on the larger ships. My husband and I are on a family cruise,Symphony , October 2024 in a balcony cabin.  The cheapest price for the key so far is $36.99 per person per day. Most of the time it is $49.99.   Crazy high, hoping  for a large price drop before we sail.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, crusinthrough said:

I don’t understand this either.  If you don’t want to carry your carry on, why not give it to the porter with your other bag(s)?  I keep my medicine and other things I cannot lose in my carry on, which is why I don’t give it to the porter.  Why would i turn around and give the bag to a crew member? 

Exactly!  

2 hours ago, GJustice said:

Last time(s) we've used the Key, I actually DROPPED my carryon in the holding area and didn't GIVE it to anyone. Porters at the curb have LOTS of places to "lose" a bag before it gets on the ship. If I drop my carryon in a room ON the ship, I'm confident it won't be "missing" when I need it. Keeping up with a carryon bag, CPAP machine and rollator makes the Key a deal IF it's priced right.

That's exactly what I don't understand ... any passenger could help himself to your bag while it's sitting there waiting for a crew member (purposefully or accidentally).  The crew member (who's dropping off multiple bags) could accidentally leave it in the wrong room.  I don't carry on items with little value (like an extra outfit or a paperback book); no, I carry on my electronics, medicines and jewelry.  Things I want to keep in my control.  

You mention a Rollator.  Sure, I get it -- some passengers need extra help, and that complicates their  embarkation.  But I'd say the answer is a backpack or a bag that'll attach to the Rollator.  Note, too, that you can request medical help with embarkation /disembarkation -- you have to complete a form ahead of time.  

• Like 1

I am happy to drop off my carry on - I don't need the schlep it around the ship with me, but I know I'll have it when I first get to my cabin. It's all of the stuff I lovingly call my "cruise crap." Things like magnetic hooks, my lanyard, etc. Also, if I want to hit the pool at 2:00 pm, I know where my swimsuit is.

• Like 1

We're on Explorer of the Seas August 3rd and I'd like to buy the key, primarily for tender priority, but can't find where to do so in the app. Can someone provide directions, or knows whether it's sold out for this sailing?

9 hours ago, Bizaro86 said:

We're on Explorer of the Seas August 3rd and I'd like to buy the key, primarily for tender priority, but can't find where to do so in the app. Can someone provide directions, or knows whether it's sold out for this sailing?

It's usually under VIP passes.

On 1/12/2024 at 8:24 AM, Mum2Mercury said:

Exactly!  

That's exactly what I don't understand ... any passenger could help himself to your bag while it's sitting there waiting for a crew member (purposefully or accidentally).  The crew member (who's dropping off multiple bags) could accidentally leave it in the wrong room.  I don't carry on items with little value (like an extra outfit or a paperback book); no, I carry on my electronics, medicines and jewelry.  Things I want to keep in my control.  

Agree.  We were recently on a B2B, so had early access to our room.  The door to the room next to ours was wide open with no crew around and with the new cruisers' carryon bags (dropped off by the Key program) in plain sight.

On 1/10/2024 at 8:26 PM, gmerick said:

Internet + $50.  The arrival lunch and departure breakfast are at least worth $10 each.  Priority boarding is great.  Priority tender and debarkation are right up there.  Not having to lug my bags in the departure hall take some of the heartbreak out of leaving.  On AN I particularly enjoy the reserved center balcony seating in the theater. The two non-crowded timeslots each on FlowRider and NorthStar are a nice perk, but not something I'd pay for.

That's exactly what we paid.  I got it for our upcoming Adventure of the Seas cruise for 18.99 pppd.  If I only got the internet and the boarding lunch I broke even.  I like not having to go to the buffet on Embarkation day and would almost always pay for a specialty lunch so with that and always getting the internet I consider that my break even point.  We have no tender ports so that's not a big deal but I like the reserved seating for the ice show.  That is my favorite entertainment and getting a good seat is always important to me. Anything else I use is just gravy.  On all my other cruises it ranges from 36.99 to 49.99 pppd.  No way I'd pay that price for what is on offer.

On 1/12/2024 at 3:12 AM, GJustice said:

Last time(s) we've used the Key, I actually DROPPED my carryon in the holding area and didn't GIVE it to anyone. Porters at the curb have LOTS of places to "lose" a bag before it gets on the ship. If I drop my carryon in a room ON the ship, I'm confident it won't be "missing" when I need it. Keeping up with a carryon bag, CPAP machine and rollator makes the Key a deal IF it's priced right.

I have a CPAP and not having to haul that around is a benefit too.  I know that some people say that just stick it in your luggage before handing it to the porter but if somehow it got missed and left shoreside my trip would be ruined.  I could live and survive with the clothes in a suitcase.  The week of poor sleep would be awful. 

• Like 1

We got it 1 time on the Allure and only because it was cheaper than the internet package (16.99 vs 17.99).  The lunch was ok.  

Personally, I prefer to board at 1230-130, book a lunch at a Specialty, then head right to my room after lunch and drop off the carry on as rooms usually open up while we are at lunch.  We may just skip this option moving forward and board at 1p as that's when the WJ tends to slow down as everyone is going to their cabins.  We either drive to ports or stay the night before and poke around at hotel until the last minute.  We also have done a late departure at hotel as well if available.  My thoughts are I'm going to be on the ship for a week or so.  I have plenty of time to enjoy it.  

I enjoyed the Key (solo cruiser at the time I used it) but wouldn't pay more than $5/day than the wifi price would be. When I got it, it was under $5/more/day than the premium wifi was and I found it to be well worth it.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2024 at 12:34 PM, Mum2Mercury said:

How much would I pay?  Zero.  Admittedly, I'm just not the target audience: 

- I don't want to give someone else my carry-on.  That's why I carry it on.  This perk seems quite odd to me.  

- The priority boarding, disembarkation and meals aren't interesting enough to encourage me to pay. 

- If I were going to buy internet service and this would literally be only $1-2 more per day, I might consider it, but probably not.  

Exactly this.

A few dollars more a day than internet. We enjoyed getting on the ship asap, dropping carryons at dining room and both key meals. We were on the Wonder,  with no tenders. I thought it would be a great benefit for reserved show seating,  but was disappointed. Their were about 6900 people on our cruise, and plenty must have been key purchaser's or suites because these seats were full at 20-25 min b4 a lot.

I have considered this only because my son (18 year old) is autistic and some of these "perks" might actually be necessities for us.  This is my first time on Royal and I was on the phone for an hour with them asking question about accommodations for the attractions of board the cruise and apparently no one could find any answers.  Seems like a hefty price tag to have to pay just so our son can cruise.

We are going on Symphony in late May/Early June to the Bahamas.  ((First time to the Bahamas as well).  If there is a long crowded line for an attraction what to do?

54 minutes ago, Minuet888 said:

I have considered this only because my son (18 year old) is autistic and some of these "perks" might actually be necessities for us.  This is my first time on Royal and I was on the phone for an hour with them asking question about accommodations for the attractions of board the cruise and apparently no one could find any answers.  Seems like a hefty price tag to have to pay just so our son can cruise.

We are going on Symphony in late May/Early June to the Bahamas.  ((First time to the Bahamas as well).  If there is a long crowded line for an attraction what to do?

What attraction is there a benefit? 

Only one I know of is a priority line for the Flowrider. 

Everyone saying "as long as it's close to internet" but that only works for maybe 2 people- after that, the internet gets cheaper and cheaper and the price of the Key stays the same... you are paying more and more for each person you add on, basically. It's not worth it for a big group- I would never get it, anyway as the perks do nothing for me and we only get 1-2 wifi packages for a family of 3 of us. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Minuet888 said:

What do you mean "what to do?"

2 hours ago, Twenty2020 said:

I hear this mentioned a lot regarding avoiding the WJ on embarkation day, but nobody mentions what ship they are on.

Is it better / worse on certain classes?

It is pretty much a madhouse on all classes.

3 hours ago, Twenty2020 said:

I hear this mentioned a lot regarding avoiding the WJ on embarkation day, but nobody mentions what ship they are on.

Is it better / worse on certain classes?

It isn't that the food is bad, it's everyone dragging their carryons around and people staying in there well after they had their 4th helping and just passing time until the rooms open.  I have noticed it thinning out after the room opens on a 3 day on Indy last summer only because Chops entrance was in the buffet area.  

• Like 1

On 1/12/2024 at 7:56 AM, cruiselovingal said:

... I really enjoyed not having to hunt for a theater seat ... Royal sucks at enforcing the no saving seat policy ...

Admittedly, we only sail in the fall, which is low season -- sailing mid-summer or on holidays might be different -- but theater seats are not hard to find at all.  If you walk in at the last minute, you can easily get a good seat on the bottom level -- or even 3-4 together.  The balcony level is the Key reserved area.  Once not long ago I went in by myself (my husband's not a show guy) and thought I'd sit on the top level -- I didn't realize until after I was seated that it was a reserved area.  The place was maybe 1/4 full, so I definitely wasn't taking anyone's space.  And I saw a couple I'd spoken to while boarding -- so I know they didn't have the Key -- and I decided that, since no one was enforcing it, I'd stay right where I was.  

On 1/13/2024 at 1:48 AM, Bizaro86 said:

Priority tender IS a good perk ... but few Caribbean ports require tenders any more.  

On 1/13/2024 at 3:17 PM, splashsmom said:

Agree.  We were recently on a B2B, so had early access to our room.  The door to the room next to ours was wide open with no crew around and with the new cruisers' carryon bags (dropped off by the Key program) in plain sight.

I was saying I want to hold onto my electronics, jewelry, medicines because I want to be SURE they get to the room.  I wasn't thinking about doors being left open during cleaning, but that is another realistic reason to hold onto your own stuff.  

We're always in the first boarding group, and our luggage always beats us to the hallway.  Every time.  

On 1/13/2024 at 3:27 PM, Tree_skier said:

... That is my favorite entertainment and getting a good seat is always important to me ... 

I love the Ice Show, and it's best enjoyed from a front-row seat!  Since I go by myself (my husband isn't into it), I never have any trouble finding a single front-row seat.  I definitely care about this, so if I were going with other people, I'd go plenty early /maybe sit and enjoy a drink while waiting to get my front row seat.  

6 hours ago, Twenty2020 said:

Windjammer's first lunch IS the busiest meal of the sailing, but it's not as bad as the whiners make it out to be.  We are always among the first regular cruisers (meaning no suites, no Key, no special needs) to board, and we've never had a problem getting a table.  Never.  I'm not saying we always get a prime window seat, but seats have always been available.  And, yes, it is more crowded than it will be later in the week ... partially because people have carry ons, partially because people are slower getting their food /are searching for the mustard and ketchup, etc., but it's not going to keep you from getting your meal.  Honestly, it's crowded, but it's not impossible.  

Again, we only sail in the fall, which is less crowded.  

23 hours ago, jean87510 said:

... Personally, I prefer to board at 1230-130, book a lunch at a Specialty ... 

If I were going to pay and the first lunch was 'specially important to us, I'd be more inclined to pay for a Specialty than for the Key.  Since you only have to pay for that meal once, it's a whole lot less than paying for the Key the whole week.  

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Priority tender IS a good perk ... but few Caribbean ports require tenders any more.  

I wouldn't bother in the Caribbean, but we are doing a summer holiday sailing which includes tenders in Greece. I would have paid for priority tenders there, and my kids love the Flowrider so a priority time there has value to me as well. 

Othe people think the same as it does appear to be sold out for my sailing. I don't care about priority boarding, lunch, or theatre tickets, but will buy internet separately now.

14 hours ago, budmeister said:

A few dollars more a day than internet. We enjoyed getting on the ship asap, dropping carryons at dining room and both key meals. We were on the Wonder,  with no tenders. I thought it would be a great benefit for reserved show seating,  but was disappointed. Their were about 6900 people on our cruise, and plenty must have been key purchaser's or suites because these seats were full at 20-25 min b4 a lot.

This is helpful to me.  I cruise solo and bought the Key before - really enjoyed it for the show seating and FlowRider.  I'll be on Wonder next month and right now I've purchased both the Key and Internet - deciding which to cancel and this is pushing me towards cancelling the Key.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Twenty2020 said:

What attraction is there a benefit? 

Only one I know of is a priority line for the Flowrider. 

It says priority access fast lanes to attractions like abyss and water slides. 

20 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

What do you mean "what to do?"

It cut off my sentence but notice my post mentions my autistic son.  Autistic people (most of them) have issues with lines, usually because of the stimulation of anticipation (seeing something but can’t get to it) and lines are in smaller enclosed areas which is a nightmare for an autistic person.  So that’s why I asked if there are long lines what do I do?