Portland UK

In Portland, your ship will dock in a secure (military?) facility.  You will not be able to walk off the ship to go anywhere.  You can take ship excursions, if you were so inclined.  In addition to this, there will be a free shuttle bus that goes from the ship into Weymouth with an intermediary stop at Portland Castle.  The bus(es) run regularly throughout the day.

I wasn't too interested in the ship's excursions.  Some were sold out by the time I booked my cruise anyway.  What I did was to ride the bus into Weymouth in the morning.  From the drop off point, I walked across the harbor area into central Weymouth and explored the town commercial streets a bit as I worked my way to the waterfront of Weymouth Bay (part of The English Channel).  Then I walked up and down the waterfront enjoying the views and typical waterfront stuff.  It's a pleasant place to just walk around (if you're inclined to that sort of thing).  From there, I walked to Nothe Fort, which I found interesting to explore and enjoy the scenic views of the Channel.  Then I walked back to the shuttle pickup point.  On the way back to the ship, I got off at the Portland Castle stop and visited the castle.  It's nothing special, but it was something to do.  I enjoyed seeing the WWII Mulberry Harbour Caissons in the nearby water.   I then caught the next shuttle bus which took me back to the ship.

All-in-all, I found it to be a very pleasant day where I just "winged it".  

• Thanks 2

Next to the Castle, there's a smallish World War 2 D-Day military museum. Perhaps oddly, it focuses mainly on the American contribution. 

Weymouth is a nice, and very typical, seaside town. We spent a week there in 2022, using the town as a base for touring the area. Post #2 outlines the "what to do" pretty well (there isn't that much). I'd only add a suggestion for you to visit Bennett's, on the harbour side (near the town bridge) for a fish & chips lunch. They really do a good version of cod, chips and mushy peas. Although we never got back to try the mackerel bap

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Harters said:

Perhaps oddly, it focuses mainly on the American contribution. 

Not odd, really - Portland was an American embarkation point for the assault on Omaha Beach. Dorset was one big marshalling area for American forces.  The museum is Castletown D-Day Centre. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

Dorset was one big marshalling area for American forces

Indeed so. 

Near the "pier" in Weymouth, there's a plaque commemorating the American troops who embarked from there. 

My "perhaps oddly" comes from being an amateur military historian (and author) in real life. I found it "perhaps odd" that a group of Britons would establish a museum that pretty much ignores the British contribution. Museum is well worth a visit from anyone interested in D-Day. 

Also, in Portland, and worth a visit for snacks, etc is the Jailhouse Cafe. Yes, it is a cafe located at HM Prison Verne and it's crewed by serving prisoners. 

Edited by Harters
  • Like 1

On 1/11/2024 at 2:50 PM, Ombud said:

Sun Princess makes only 4 stops & 1 stop is here. I can't find anything to do. Suggestions?

We were in Portland last August on Oceania Vista.   Did a great tour with a company called Dorset Tours.  They offered several to choose from. About 20 in our group. Very reasonably priced.   We the mandatory bus from Port about 3 minutes where we were met 

Edited by Mrs f.
  • Thanks 1