Noro Outbreak on Constellation - Current Cruise 1/3-12/12/2024

Jim_Iain

Personally I am usually more concerned about Noro per-cruise on Airplanes and Hotels.   I always bring Alcohol and disinfectant   wipes and first thing I do on an airplane is wipe down touch surfaces and tray.   Hotels much the same but the first thing to be wiped down are light switches and the Remote Controls for the tv's

Since their is no big news reports about outbreaks on airplanes no one goes ballistic.  

Remember most cases on ships are brought aboard by passengers ---

• Like 2

On 1/12/2024 at 3:14 PM, Lastdance said:

The door to the cabin/suite needs to be open; what about the elevator buttons?  

My thoughts as well....don't really think it's possible to leave your cabin and not touch anything (holding the stair rail is probably a big virus conveyor).  DH and I were talking about this yesterday and realized we're not as careful as we should be, but walking around the ship with our own hand sanitizers and rubber gloves for OV utensils seems to be a step too far for us.  Would really appreciate self serving not being an option.  However, pulling back chairs or other necessities to enjoy a meal can't be avoided.  Wish all diners would just WASH THEIR HANDS often and use the offered HAND SANITIZER.  And keeping our hands away from our face would also help.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/12/2024 at 6:16 PM, phoenix_dream said:

I often visit the ladies room immediately before entering the buffet or dining room. Don't use my hands to open the door.  My hands are clean so no need to wash again or use hand sanitizer.  Just saying know the facts before judging. 

The point is everyone can say the same even if they haven't washed their hands. The crew has no way of telling so what is the problem in using the hand sanitizer again? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, the penguins said:

The point is everyone can say the same even if they haven't washed their hands. The crew has no way of telling so what is the problem in using the hand sanitizer again? 

Some staff who dispense it in its very watery state, splash it all over your clothes..

We use it  from a regular standing dispenser or our own,  but not from  a person carrying a slimy looking plastic btl..  ugh!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Oceangoer2 said:

walking around the ship with our own hand sanitizers and rubber gloves for OV utensils seems to be a step too far for us.  

I mean I have hand sanitizer all the time with me just not the gloves. But I have seen people with gloves, honestly if you want gloves who cares what others think.

Everyone is responsible for their own health

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not sure why many like the OVC?  Every time that I go it is crowded and difficult to find a seat.  Last cruise I ordered an omlette at the omlette station and I had to leave before they got to it...

We eventually just ordered room service for early morning excursions and life was good.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Not sure why many like the OVC?  Every time that I go it is crowded and difficult to find a seat.  Last cruise I ordered an omlette at the omlette station and I had to leave before they got to it...

We eventually just ordered room service for early morning excursions and life was good.

I think there is an art to ordering...going early and having the same person do my egg white veggie scramble is almost fool proof, at least for me.  Going to Luminae is too much sitting for me, so that leaves the OV early in the morning.  If I cannot do that, I just choose another venue.  Thank goodness we all have choices for breakfast, not to mention other meals onboard.  One size never fits all.  My issue is trying not to eat too much, but easier said than done, even with using the gym, stairs and walking from the aft of the ship...third world problems for sure.  Just feel blessed that I can travel, am healthy, along with talking with people face to face and not social media while onboard, as most cruisers are interesting and delightful.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hcat said:

Some staff who dispense it in its very watery state, splash it all over your clothes..

We use it  from a regular standing dispenser or our own,  but not from  a person carrying a slimy looking plastic btl..  ugh!

the point is you use it which is totally different to people who refuse.

I think I've read all the comments on this topic to see if anyone said they don't use the hand sanitizer before entering the buffet because they are allergic to it.  I'm allergic to an ingredient found in almost every kind of sanitizer, so I take my own sanitizer with me everywhere I go.  It's the only one that I've found that doesn't contain propylene glycol.  The tough part about checking the ingredients in sanitizers, (and soap, shampoo, cleaners, foods, laundry detergents, etc. ) for propylene glycol is that some companies call it another name such as propanediol, methyl glycol, E1520, and over 100 other names, but they are all propylene glycol, which causes me to break out from head to toe.   Several months before going on a cruise I have to contact Celebrity Special Needs Department and inform them of my extreme allergy.  I give a big " thank you" to various departments at Celebrity because they cook my food separately,  clean my cabin in a special way,  wash the sheets, towels, bathrobes, pool towels as well as my personal clothing in a special way...all to keep me safe.  So please don't judge me too harshly in a few weeks when I'll be on a cruise if you see me avoid the sanitizer on the ship, but please notice that I will often be spraying my hands with my own sanitizer.  Thanks!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, the penguins said:

the point is you use it which is totally different to people who refuse.

true but when we avoid the " bath"  some may think we are the person  you describe.. it's up to each person to self protect themselves and others

15 minutes ago, Im A Happy Cruiser said:

I think I've read all the comments on this topic to see if anyone said they don't use the hand sanitizer before entering the buffet because they are allergic to it.  I'm allergic to an ingredient found in almost every kind of sanitizer, so I take my own sanitizer with me everywhere I go.  It's the only one that I've found that doesn't contain propylene glycol.  The tough part about checking the ingredients in sanitizers, (and soap, shampoo, cleaners, foods, laundry detergents, etc. ) for propylene glycol is that some companies call it another name such as propanediol, methyl glycol, E1520, and over 100 other names, but they are all propylene glycol, which causes me to break out from head to toe.   Several months before going on a cruise I have to contact Celebrity Special Needs Department and inform them of my extreme allergy.  I give a big " thank you" to various departments at Celebrity because they cook my food separately,  clean my cabin in a special way,  wash the sheets, towels, bathrobes, pool towels as well as my personal clothing in a special way...all to keep me safe.  So please don't judge me too harshly in a few weeks when I'll be on a cruise if you see me avoid the sanitizer on the ship, but please notice that I will often be spraying my hands with my own sanitizer.  Thanks!

i can empathize. Many hand sanitizers contain Aloe Vera, and I cant use. I too carry my own hand sanitizer.  Have had a few nasty comments but at least I am sanitizing 

24 minutes ago, Im A Happy Cruiser said:

The nice thing is that they now have sinks to wash your hands on the E class ships when you enter the buffet. I  was always taught in the hospitals and other facilities I worked at to use hand sanitizer unless you are eating. Then you should use soap and water. 

6 hours ago, Lastdance said:

My issue is trying not to eat too much, but easier said than done, even with using the gym, stairs and walking from the aft of the ship...

I love food; it is one of my passions in life.

I still remember my first couple of cruises, when I would come back home 10 pounds heavier, and then spend the next few months slowly shedding the extra weight.

In my last cruise last month, I actually did not gain weight, despite eating well [photos 1][photos 2]. I basically skip breakfast, avoid overeating during meals, and do not eat anything outside lunch and dinner. On shore excursion days, I ate breakfast but skipped lunch. Every calory counts, so if I'm going to eat something and consume the calories, it better taste wonderful.

In another cruise many years ago, I actually lost weight on a cruise. My secret at that time was - in addition to skipping breakfast - going to the gym twice a day, 45 minutes before lunch and again another 45 minutes before dinner, when I would do cardio. I just wanted to make sure I would not gain weight, but 1.5 hours on the elliptical machines every day before meals made me actually loose weight on that cruise.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2024 at 6:58 PM, larry_s_taco said:

This is why I really wished that they had kept the practice of having the ship staff serve in the cafe. It just makes sense when you are dealing with that many people around that much food and that many utensils. I am glad that Celebrity is that diligent about reporting and cleaning. 

I cringed each time I went to OC. I hated handling those utensils behind others. There were no paper napkins on Acsent, but if I had the end of a paper towel from the sink I would use it. And I still cringe. 

10 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Since their is no big news reports about outbreaks on airplanes no one goes ballistic.  

Because a flight doesn't keep all its passengers together for 3+ days.  It's being spread aloft---it's just not traceable.

6 hours ago, 1Virgo said:

i can empathize. Many hand sanitizers contain Aloe Vera, and I cant use. I too carry my own hand sanitizer.  Have had a few nasty comments but at least I am sanitizing 

You, the previous poster and any one else with similar problems has my deepest sympathy. Regrettably the Crew are not mind readers and have no way of telling if you have or havent sanitised. However to me the solution is simple:

1) on E class be sure to use the sinks at the buffet entrance.

2) when no sinks are available stop at the hand gel station/person and in full view use your own hand gel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, the penguins said:

You, the previous poster and any one else with similar problems has my deepest sympathy. Regrettably the Crew are not mind readers and have no way of telling if you have or havent sanitised. However to me the solution is simple:

1) on E class be sure to use the sinks at the buffet entrance.

2) when no sinks are available stop at the hand gel station/person and in full view use your own hand gel.

I did not get nasty comments from the staff.       One was from a passenger with a lovely, rattly cough who forgot to cover his mouth.    i do carry my hand sanitizer visibly though

55 minutes ago, 1Virgo said:

I did not get nasty comments from the staff.       One was from a passenger with a lovely, rattly cough who forgot to cover his mouth.    i do carry my hand sanitizer visibly though

I never mentioned nasty comments that was an earlier poster.