Celebrity and the solo cruiser

rollie

21 hours ago, rollie said:

Looks as if Celebrity has reversed it's decision to overcharge cabins for solo cruisers.  They got a lot of negative press.

Rollie

Hello,

Looks where?

Regards,

Cublet

On 1/14/2024 at 5:48 AM, rollie said:

Looks as if Celebrity has reversed it's decision to overcharge cabins for solo cruisers.  They got a lot of negative press.

Rollie

I saw this news as well (though not any official Celebrity notice). 

However this still has not altered the outrageous pricing.  

Apex 07SEP24 Iceland & Scotland

Prime Concierge Class, Cruise Only, Stateroom 12113, 2 passengers, $6798 total

Prime Concierge Class, Cruise Only, Stateroom 12113, 1 passenger, $9486 total

Also since last summer Celebrity has been offering Category guarantee cabins for doubles, but not for singles at 2x.  Guarantees generally lower the cost upfront for cabin assignment later so offering this to doubles but not at 2x the price for singles exacerbates the price disparity.  

In fact on the Apex sailing above, guarantees are offered to doubles but not 2x for solos.  I did not use that for the pricing above so I could pick a specific cabin and show the Celebrity gouge for the same cabin. 

On 1/14/2024 at 10:40 AM, kayehall said:

Why would they do this to begin with?  

It's called flooding the zone.  They are hurling cut-back after cut-back.  Occasionally, they pull something back (that they knew very well would not be tolerated) and tell customers "we're listening to your feedback".  But all the other cut-backs you aren't paying attention to continue.  It's right from the politician's playbook.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ncgolferette said:

Couldn’t this policy regarding solo cruisers be considered some form of discrimination against a certain population group?  Namely, widows, widowers, and others that have lost a life partner.

It is, but what can we do about it? Sue?? Where is Celebrity headquartered? I don't think it's the U.S. I don't think Jim Walker or even Perry Mason would want any part of a suit like this.

And no attorney would bother.  I haven't booked anything having the jacked-up solo price, but if I did find something, I'd just add my sister to the booking for the time being.  I've had roomies be no-shows, for real, on more than one occasion.

• Like 2

I got a survey on January 12th asking for my opinion about a number of areas on onboard services. I took the opportunity to express my displeasure about  the outrageous solo prices in what seems to me to be an attempt to book only double occupancy with an assumed  revenue increase, and the policy of sale fares not applying for solo passengers.   

Like others I haven't booked anything  on Celebrity and have been deleting most emails other than the PUP ones. Last year I was on HAL and Princess cruises where sale prices were available  and I paid less than double, and where onboard I felt welcome. 

I will start looking again and thank everyone for their posts.

7 hours ago, ncgolferette said:

Couldn’t this policy regarding solo cruisers be considered some form of discrimination against a certain population group?  Namely, widows, widowers, and others that have lost a life partner.

You do know that some solo cruisers have never been married or are married and travel without spouse. The solo "discrimination" isn't focused on marital status, just solo status.

• Like 3

Deals can found for solo’s. I booked a sunset veranda on an E-class ship for a 6 day cruise as a solo. The AI price was crazy high, but the cruise only fare for 1 was $1600.