2 internet packages for 1 device for each of us - vs- 1 internet package with 2 devices

Prices are lower if I buy one internet package for me for two devices.....than if I buy an internet package for 1 device for both my spouse and me  What is the difference?  I don't care if she uses the same userid/password I use.

If I'm travelling with my son and his wife....why not save money and buy one package with four devices and let them use two of them?

2 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

Prices are lower if I buy one internet package for me for two devices.....than if I buy an internet package for 1 device for both my spouse and me  What is the difference?  I don't care if she uses the same userid/password I use.

If I'm travelling with my son and his wife....why not save money and buy one package with four devices and let them use two of them?

Buy 1 package and as many devices on that one package is the cheapest way to purchase it. Works fine that way.

My wife and I both switch between our computers and our phones.....and we've always had internet thrown in on packages, so never thought about the difference in the packages.  This is a short cruise with family and we don't have a package...we're on our own..

If I am on my laptop in the cabin and my wife is on her laptop in the cabin....I leave the cabin and now want to connect through my phone....presumably, I will get a message that I have used all of my devices and  ???    What happens now....how do I disconnect my laptop and not effect my wife?  Do I get a choice of which device to disconnect....or does the system decide...or ???

5 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

My wife and I both switch between our computers and our phones.....and we've always had internet thrown in on packages, so never thought about the difference in the packages.  This is a short cruise with family and we don't have a package...we're on our own..

If I am on my laptop in the cabin and my wife is on her laptop in the cabin....I leave the cabin and now want to connect through my phone....presumably, I will get a message that I have used all of my devices and  ???    What happens now....how do I disconnect my laptop and not effect my wife?  Do I get a choice of which device to disconnect....or does the system decide...or ???

When you leave the cabin, disconnect(turn off) your laptop.

Edited by Jimbo

Yes, you can disconnect or log off from the Wi-Fi the device you are personally working on and connect your other device without affecting your wife's device. Your wife can do likewise with her device.

Edited by robtulipe

If you purchase one package, you have to physically "logoff" one device to logon to the other device.  You can have as many devices you want, but only one device can be on line at a time.

If you purchase one package with two devices, you use the same username/pin, but only two devices can be on line at a time.  In the case of you and your wife with the 2-device package and both on your laptops at the same time, if you want to switch to your iPhone, you have to "logoff" your laptop, then logon to your iPhone.  You can't just shut down the device.  You have to physically "logoff" for this to work.

6 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

When you leave the cabin, disconnect(turn off) your laptop.

Disconnect won't work.  You have to logoff.  If you try to logon to a different device without logging off, you will get a message saying you have exceeded the number of devices, and it will not let you logon.

Edited by Wineaux007
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

Disconnect won't work.  You have to logoff.  If you try to logon to a different device without logging off, you will get a message saying you have exceeded the number of devices, and it will not let you logon.

When I go between IPhone and IPad, it just asks me if I want to switch and I say yes. Have never had to manually “logoff”. Maybe because I’m the only one using it.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

If you purchase one package, you have to physically "logoff" one device to logon to the other device.  You can have as many devices you want, but only one device can be on line at a time.

If you purchase one package with two devices, you use the same username/pin, but only two devices can be on line at a time.  In the case of you and your wife with the 2-device package and both on your laptops at the same time, if you want to switch to your iPhone, you have to "logoff" your laptop, then logon to your iPhone.  You can't just shut down the device.  You have to physically "logoff" for this to work.

I've ever had to do that.  If i leave my laptop logged in I just log in on my phone and it boots my laptop off

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

When I go between IPhone and IPad, it just asks me if I want to switch and I say yes. Have never had to manually “logoff”. Maybe because I’m the only one using it.

My experience as well and we get a 3 or 4 device with the kids.  If I want to join it just boots them off.

• Like 1

If you don't log off first, it just randomly boots one of the other devices. I don't know if anyone has established how it decides which one.

Logging off first just gives you control over which device is disconnected. 

Whichever works best for your situation.

With a multiple device package you can't control which device it boots off.  So it is good practice to log one device off before trying to connect another.