Reykjavik pre cruise advice needed

Wasasalad

I’m not at all familiar with Iceland! Overwhelming!

What port does Oceania use?

There are two options when looking at where cruise ships dock in Reykjavik. Some smaller vessels can dock at Reykjavik cruise port at Miðbakki, in the Old Harbour. However, most larger cruise ships will dock at Reykjavik cruise port at Skarfabakki.

Is this the correct airport? It’s 30 miles from Reykjavik!

Keflavík Airport (Icelandic: Keflavíkurflugvöllur [ˈcʰɛplaˌviːkʏrˌflʏɣˌvœtlʏr̥]) (IATA: KEF, ICAO: BIKF), also known as Reykjavík–Keflavík Airport, is the largest airport in Iceland and the country's main hub for international transportation. The airport is 1.7 nautical miles (3.1 kilometres) west of Keflavík[2] and 50 km (30 mi) southwest of Reykjavík. The airport has three runways, two of which are in use, and the airport area is about 25 km2 (10 sq mi).[citation needed] Most international journeys to or from Iceland pass through this airport.

How are you getting from the airport port to the hotel? It’s over 30miles

Is Oceania booking your flights?

I’m arriving on July 5. I’m hoping for a nonstop flight from Boston

I just booked Skuggi Hotel for July 5-7! Never been there! Hope I’m in the correct hotel!
Does this look right?

ADDRESS
Hverfisgata 103, 101 Reykjavík

EMAIL
skuggi@keahotels.is
PHONE
+354 590 7000

Keflavik is the main airport for Iceland. Like a lot of airports around the world, it’s a distance to the city. There are shuttle services that can take you into town and drop you at or near your hotel. Avoid taxi at all costs, they are hugely expensive.

I boarded Insignia from Reykjavik last August. It was docked at Skarfabakki, but you’ll have to check details for your particular cruise. I did take a taxi from my (mid-city) hotel to the port when embarking and it was quite easy — and not too eye-wateringly expensive. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It sounds like you can either use the services of a good travel agent or if you want to DIY you probably want to join your rollcall to see what others are doing:

Iceland is really easy to get around, but everything is expensive so just expect prices to be high (food, lodging, transport). Take a bus day-tour to see the top draws; we usually avoid group tours, but we had 3 days in Iceland so needed to be efficient (and really enjoyed the bus tour to sites near Reykjavik).

You may also find the Northern Europe forum useful: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/116-northern-europe-amp-baltic-sea/

Edited by AMHuntFerry
N Europe forum link
  • Thanks 1

Everyone who is not intent on burning money takes the Flybus from KEF to the city.

Yes, the airport is 30 miles away.  That's closer than the port of Civitavecchia is to the Rome airport.  And closer than the trips from Beijing or Shanghai to the port.

Icelandair and Play fly non-stop from BOS to KEF.

And what do you mean by "right hotel"?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Wasasalad said:

I’m not at all familiar with Iceland! Overwhelming!

What port does Oceania use?

There are two options when looking at where cruise ships dock in Reykjavik. Some smaller vessels can dock at Reykjavik cruise port at Miðbakki, in the Old Harbour. However, most larger cruise ships will dock at Reykjavik cruise port at Skarfabakki.

Is this the correct airport? It’s 30 miles from Reykjavik!

Keflavík Airport (Icelandic: Keflavíkurflugvöllur [ˈcʰɛplaˌviːkʏrˌflʏɣˌvœtlʏr̥]) (IATA: KEF, ICAO: BIKF), also known as Reykjavík–Keflavík Airport, is the largest airport in Iceland and the country's main hub for international transportation. The airport is 1.7 nautical miles (3.1 kilometres) west of Keflavík[2] and 50 km (30 mi) southwest of Reykjavík. The airport has three runways, two of which are in use, and the airport area is about 25 km2 (10 sq mi).[citation needed] Most international journeys to or from Iceland pass through this airport.

How are you getting from the airport port to the hotel? It’s over 30miles

Is Oceania booking your flights?

I’m arriving on July 5. I’m hoping for a nonstop flight from Boston

I just booked Skuggi Hotel for July 5-7! Never been there! Hope I’m in the correct hotel!
Does this look right?

ADDRESS
Hverfisgata 103, 101 Reykjavík

EMAIL
skuggi@keahotels.is
PHONE
+354 590 7000

We were there about a year ago and also stayed at the Skuggi Hotel.  It was a few blocks from the city center, but we don’t mind walking.  The breakfast was very good. We booked our own flights and booked a shuttle with Air Direct.  I can’t remember the price but it was very reasonable.  Choose the option for hotel drop off. We weren’t sure how long it would take us to get luggage and clear customs, so we booked a shuttle time over an hour an d an half after arrival time.  However, we got through quickly and just went to the Air Direct desk in the airport and they were able to get us on the earlier shuttle.  However, get there quickly, because the people behind us had to wait for their scheduled time because the van was full.

We booked a Golden Circle tour and a walking tour pre cruise.  It was an awesome trip. Enjoy!

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, gracebest said:

We were there about a year ago and also stayed at the Skuggi Hotel.  It was a few blocks from the city center, but we don’t mind walking.  The breakfast was very good. We booked our own flights and booked a shuttle with Air Direct.  I can’t remember the price but it was very reasonable.  Choose the option for hotel drop off. We weren’t sure how long it would take us to get luggage and clear customs, so we booked a shuttle time over an hour an d an half after arrival time.  However, we got through quickly and just went to the Air Direct desk in the airport and they were able to get us on the earlier shuttle.  However, get there quickly, because the people behind us had to wait for their scheduled time because the van was full.

We booked a Golden Circle tour and a walking tour pre cruise.  It was an awesome trip. Enjoy!

Thank you!

6 hours ago, AMHuntFerry said:

It sounds like you can either use the services of a good travel agent or if you want to DIY you probably want to join your rollcall to see what others are doing:

Iceland is really easy to get around, but everything is expensive so just expect prices to be high (food, lodging, transport). Take a bus day-tour to see the top draws; we usually avoid group tours, but we had 3 days in Iceland so needed to be efficient (and really enjoyed the bus tour to sites near Reykjavik).

You may also find the Northern Europe forum useful: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/116-northern-europe-amp-baltic-sea/

Roll call not very active. Cruise booked with a TA  because it’s Oceania. They are difficult to deal with. 
in 55+’cruises first TA assistance. I always do my own research and booking. 

So far prices are similar to home. 

We booked car service from the airport which was cheaper than a taxi but more than the bus.  Taxis in the city are not overly expensive but, as has been noted here, Iceland is expensive for everything.

We used Get You Guide for a tour to the Blue Lagoon (loved it) and the Golden Circle.  The tours were well run, on time, and very enjoyable.  We had a few days so we also enjoyed exploring the city on foot. We do a lot of walking and found it very easy to get around.  Make sure you see the amazing concert hall.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I strongly suggest to OP to do a quick read on the Icelandic geography, especially that around Reykjavik/Keflavik and also a quick visit to the Kevlavik airport website re:  local transport options.  Perhaps we are a bit different from a typical cruise passenger, but we find our cruises more enjoyable when we know a bit about our destination before we get there.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2024 at 11:27 AM, cruisemom42 said:

Avoid taxi at all costs, they are hugely expensive.

As well as everything else! But don't miss the hotdogs 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Been there, done that, got the photos.

56CD02E4-8475-44C5-A350-ED8C486C3EF9_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.13fc2df152e94e3fd7625820bb5b2224.jpeg

1D1F5411-0D19-4944-AD5D-0897CC64FE6D_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.74bca79781c99398093e497502798e4d.jpeg

Love it! That really was a super dog, wasn't it? It's funny/fun the things we remember from traveling.

• Like 1