Great cruise; terrible survey

hop2it

We were very well pleased with a recent Sky Princess voyage and would've been happy to do the post-cruise survey to express our satisfaction -- but finally gave up on completing the apparently endless list of repetitious questions. Why wouldn't the company want to make this more painless for people who don't want to waste so much time?

Edited by hop2it
submitted prematurely
  • Like 7

22 minutes ago, hop2it said:

We were very well pleased with a recent Sky Princess voyage and would've been happy to do the post-cruise survey to express our satisfaction -- but finally gave up on completing the apparently endless list of repetitious questions. Why wouldn't the company want to make this more painless for people who don't want to waste so much time?

Completely agree. We always complete the survey as we know its an important way to recognize certain crew members, but the survey is painful! Way too long. I wonder how many people mean well and start it, but give up. FWIW, we are just back from an HAL cruise and theirs was almost as bad.

I would encourage you if you had any crew members who made your cruise better, to go back and complete it when you have time. This is the most important thing for them in regards to pay increases, renewed contracts, etc. 

Edited by sunviking90
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, hop2it said:

I do agree it is a tedious process and I do wonder if they get back many completed ones?  Another thing I do not like is they give a pretty short timespan to complete it in and when I get back home, often busy catching up on things.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I do agree it is a tedious process and I do wonder if they get back many completed ones?  Another thing I do not like is they give a pretty short timespan to complete it in and when I get back home, often busy catching up on things.

Exactly, and it’s even worse than that, as crew members with specific mentions don’t get them unless they’re made in the first three days after the cruise, which I guess means disembarkation day and the two subsequent days. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Yep.  Only 3 days to get back to

the ship and 2 weeks to get to corporate.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, hop2it said:

You CAN just check N/A through

the parts you’re not interested in.

Or, NO.  You get the picture. 🥴

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Exactly, and it’s even worse than that, as crew members with specific mentions don’t get them unless they’re made in the first three days after the cruise, which I guess means disembarkation day and the two subsequent days. 

That's even worse.  Another thing I was thinking is in B2B2B2.. situations (like you most of the time and us last Fall when we had three on one ship) is I don't really need to do three of them for one ship.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

That's even worse.  Another thing I was thinking is in B2B2B2.. situations (like you most of the time and us last Fall when we had three on one ship) is I don't really need to do three of them for one ship.

We did 6 segments recently. We didn't do the surveys while on the ship so only the last segment's survey was valid when we got home. I did that survey but then sent a separate letter to Princess with information regarding various crew members and their impact on our cruise(s). It's idiotic to expect cruisers to take the time to do the drawn out survey while still on the ship. Especially as the Internet service isn't always that great.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

The 3 day thing is terrible because I know I wanted to mention some crew and had to remember to do this while I was so sick after disembarking.  It would be nice if they would allow more time.

• Like 4

I also found that the narrative portion at the beginning of the survey did not have enough space to write everything I wanted to.  (Oh, I had a LOT to say!). So, I did the survey and put N/A on most items as someone else suggested.  I then wrote a very long email to customerrelations@princesscruises.com.  I can't say for sure that it will be read and taken seriously, but I hope so!

If I understand right, if I don't fill out the survey in 3 days, the crew I mention will not be recognized?

Most of our cruises are far away so we usually do some pro cruise and don't get home 3 or 4 days after our cruise. I take the time to fill out the survey mostly because of the crew, I don't believe there is much done about the rest and that is if they do read them. If this is true not much reason to bother with them.

The only reason I do the survey is to give info on the crew. I have (twice now) sent an extra note with an attached Word document to customerrelations@princesscruises.com giving "extra" info regarding the crew. The first time was after a 28 day cruise in 2017 and I received a nice phone call thanking me for my input and "guaranteeing" me that my comments would be forwarded to the relevant management on Emerald Princess. I felt pretty good about that one.

I also sent one regarding the absolutely wonderful crew members (except for the second Room Steward we had who was a freaking disaster) who made our recent, 6 segment, 63 day cruise(s) wonderful. (I pretty much reamed the %#$^&%@!$\!!!) room Steward we had on the last 62 days of those cruises. She totally deserves to be fired and blacklisted.))

There were a number of the Cruise Director's staff and also a few bartenders and an especially wonderful crew member who's badge identified her as a Sommelier. That surprised us as almost our only interaction with her was as the greatest "morning coffee person" we have ever had. She was literally (and yes, I do know what "literally" means) the absolutely best "morning coffee person" we have ever had and made us feel like valued family members. She made our mornings extra special every single day. Crew members like her are one of the major reasons we are loyal Princess cruisers. If they could clone her for every Princess cruise they would have even more brand-loyal people. (When we went home I, and my wife, actually missed speaking with her every day. She is the epitome of a fantastic cruise employee as she truly "connects" with the passengers. Okay, with "some" passengers but it's still an amazing thing.) The one time we weren't surprised by her "Sommelier" name tag was when she was, unfortunately, assigned to a table where she was supposed to sell the Plus and Premier packages to a zillion Aussies who had just boarded. Nope. Not happening for many. She asked us to "please" not mention the "included gratuities" part to the Aussies as that is definitely not a benefit for them. (The gratuities are included in their fare and most don't realize the fare is higher because of this inclusion.) As we spoke with her at that time regarding the "packages" she demonstrated some really in-depth knowledge of the wines.

I sent a detailed note (again a Word document attached to an email addressed to customerrelations@princesscruises.com) but this time, instead of a phone call, the only response I received was an "auto reply" from the address. I am not happy. The crew members I referenced were intrinsic to our enjoyment of the cruise(s) and most definitely deserve recognition for the fact. Our enjoyment of the cruise(s) would have been significantly less without the individual input and effort from these crew members. Hearing now that, due to not being within the "three day limit" may negate my input peeves me in a way that (due to profanity restrictions here on CC) I am not able to adequately express here in this forum.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, hop2it said:

Do the folks at corporate offices monitor these forums? I would hope so; there's some constructive criticism (from satisfied customers) here.

Well the App has improved out of sight so I assume they read the forum and take notice of comments.🤣

3 hours ago, Thrak said:

She asked us to "please" not mention the "included gratuities" part to the Aussies as that is definitely not a benefit for them. (The gratuities are included in their fare and most don't realize the fare is higher because of this inclusion.)

Our fares down here are usually a lot higher than yours and it it isn't just the gratuities. Usually way higher than just that.

We also do not have gratuities included when we get the Plus or Premier package for non Aust/NZ cruises. For example we are doing a Norway and Scandinavia cruise in July and we have Plus, however I still pay the auto grats (if I wish to). They are not included in our Plus fares.

Unless I have better things to do I won't take the time to fill out the hundreds of questions each cruise. Most after we arrive home we're usually to busy to bother & by the time we do have the time the link has expired.

It's a shame as many times there are positive comments that could be beneficial, especially to some crew members who deserve it.

That survey has just turned into a complaint form IMO.

I’ve started giving input at Guest Services- they have forms and a comment box. Crew have thanked me for the recognition while I am still on board.

34 minutes ago, dog said:

I’ve started giving input at Guest Services- they have forms and a comment box. Crew have thanked me for the recognition while I am still on board.

Exactly right.  You can get paper (remember that!) forms at Guest Services and fill them out in while on the cruise to give specific kudos to crew members who've done an especially great job for you.  I've heard that the paper forms are even more valuable than the post cruise survey because it's usually real-time feedback.

After I broke my ankle on Oosterdam (HAL, I know) and visited the Medical Center for treatment, I filled out the paper form to tell them what a great job they did for me.  I ended up with a handwritten thank you note from the head nurse and a complementary plate of chocolate covered strawberries delivered to my cabin. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Yep.  Only 3 days to get back to

the ship and 2 weeks to get to corporate.

Does anybody know where the 3-days came from for the crew to get recognized for the comments left? I can't understand the "logic" behind such a thing, but I frequently find logic missing not only on Princess, but seemingly throughout the country. 

43 minutes ago, Bwana Tom said:

Does anybody know where the 3-days came from for the crew to get recognized for the comments left? I can't understand the "logic" behind such a thing, but I frequently find logic missing not only on Princess, but seemingly throughout the country. 

I think the original poster of this info was @CruiseRaider, so perhaps he/she knows, but it was confirmed by several others so maybe they’ll be able to answer this, also. 

Whatever the reason, it’s an excuse and could be changed…if Princess had the desire and motivation to change it. I’d love to see Princess to acknowledge that their crews are the primary reason that guests return and allow us to recognize them individually. It’s one thing to have a three day cut off for crew feedback (ridiculous) but even worse to not tell guests about it, so that they continue to use their resources to give individual credit when the crew member will never benefit from it. 

They used to have the ‘You made a difference’ cards at Guest Services and the advantage of them is that they more or less limited the space (and therefore the time required) to say good things. Have they replaced them with another form? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

They used to have the ‘You made a difference’ cards at Guest Services and the advantage of them is that they more or less limited the space (and therefore the time required) to say good things. Have they replaced them with another form? 

Nope, that's what I used in November/December to compliment bartenders and cabin stewards.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bwana Tom said:

Because they get it sorted in the first 3 days of the next cruise. 

No one is getting props for the cruise before last. 

1 hour ago, Bwana Tom said:

I had read this from other posters, so on the last few cruises, I asked the HGM’s, GS and many crew members.

I was told the 3’day, gives the ship a chance to recognize the individual crew members before the next cruise is too far underway.  I was also told by the crew members, it is so important for their promotions.  Also, many crew members may be finishing a contract, so this will make a positive difference for their new contract.

On our last 2 cruises, the Captain even mentioned to get those surveys in as soon as possible after our cruise, for crew recognitions.

BTW, the crew still gets the recognition after 3 days…up to two weeks, but it goes into their

corporate record, not the ship’s records.

I was also told by a crew member, as our ship was going into dry dock after we disembarked…

Very important, to do the survey right away, because during dry dock, they examine the surveys and base promotions on the next sailing.

So, I don’t doubt this at all.  Don’t agree with it though.  We do a lot of b2b’s and we try to get the crew  recommendations done in each one.

A lot of ships have been leaving a paper in our cabin during the cruise, asking “How are we doing?”  This is a great time to give recognition.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1