Is Celebrity Suite sliding door a sufficient sound barrier on Edge Series?

Shadow9612

I believe the door to the bedroom in a Celebrity Suite on Edge Series is a sliding door.  Does this provide a sufficient sound barrier (eg snoring)?

The M series has a real door providing silence and privacy - just wondering if this is accomplished on the Edge series?

No.   I can speak from experience.   When Iain starts snoring and I take refuge in the living room I still have to use my Bose.   That is something I don't have to do in a M or S Class.   If I turn on the TV early it will also disturb his sleeping.  Of course I wouldn't seek revenge.    They are also frosted glass which floods the bedroom with light if the other person opens.

Another third world problem I complain about is that the two TV's are lined up and If I turn on the TV in the Living Room it will also turn the TV on in the bedroom.    I've learned to shield the remote with a cupped hand. 

Just one more design failure -  in really heavy seas even when closed they will slide open and then Slam back -  I usually have to wedge a book or magazine in the jamb to keep in place. 

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

No.   I can speak from experience.   When Iain starts snoring and I take refuge in the living room I still have to use my Bose.   That is something I don't have to do in a M or S Class.   If I turn on the TV early it will also disturb his sleeping.  Of course I wouldn't seek revenge.    They are also frosted glass which floods the bedroom with light if the other person opens.

Another third world problem I complain about is that the two TV's are lined up and If I turn on the TV in the Living Room it will also turn the TV on in the bedroom.    I've learned to shield the remote with a cupped hand. 

Just one more design failure -  in really heavy seas even when closed they will slide open and then Slam back -  I usually have to wedge a book or magazine in the jamb to keep in place. 

We found all those issues too in our Apex CS

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Similar issues in the royal suite. No door between the bedroom and bathroom is a design failure too.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, billc23 said:

Similar issues in the royal suite. No door between the bedroom and bathroom is a design failure too.

Yeah, I can't believe they designed it without a door between the bedroom and bathroom. Also, on Edge in the PH the shower is accessible from either side of the bathroom via a walkway but there is no door between the shower and walkway so the walkway is wet if someone is showering, or just after a shower.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Yeah, I can't believe they designed it without a door between the bedroom and bathroom. Also, on Edge in the PH the shower is accessible from either side of the bathroom via a walkway but there is no door between the shower and walkway so the walkway is wet if someone is showering, or just after a shower.

I'll be on the Ascent tomorrow and report back on the PH and RS. Perhaps they fixed some of the design issues that are present on the Edge/Apex. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

The other thing we didn’t like about the PH on the Edge is the closet area is a very large open space, open being the issue. We prefer a door to a walk in closet. Not easy to get dressed and let your significant other sleep in the way it’s setup.

this is what happens when the room designers don’t cruise or have nautical design experience 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, billc23 said:

I can't say I'm fond of the TV coming down from the Ceiling in the bedroom.    Rather awkward to avoid hitting your head if on the inside and get up in the middle of the night.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, billc23 said:

I'll be on the Ascent tomorrow and report back on the PH and RS. Perhaps they fixed some of the design issues that are present on the Edge/Apex. 

Thanks. I think I saw pictures of the PH on Beyond, and maybe Apex, where there are doors between the shower and passage way. I did find the open dressing area to be weird but liked the sliding doors.  We'll be checking our Beyond in December.

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thank you for this info @Jim_Iain.  

I am surprised by this design flaw (imo).  It must be a space-saving reason?

The slamming open/close in rough seas would be bothersome.

@Jim_Iain was your experience on Edge or Apex?  Is it possible that this would be modified on Beyond or Ascent?

On 1/20/2024 at 8:38 PM, Shadow9612 said:

Oh gosh - how could this be a positive feature in anyone's mind?

Currently on the Ascent. The RS does have a door between the bedroom and bathroom area but it is translucent as are the sliders between the living room and the bedroom/bathroom. To me it kinda defeats the benefit of 2 rooms so passengers can be on different schedules and not disturb each other. 

The PH does have an isolated second bedroom with a proper doors to the bathroom and living space. The sliders between the master bedroom/bath area are solid - not translucent like the RS -  so there is isolation. The master bedroom/bathroom is open, but at least an early riser can go into the living space and not disturb their sleeping partner. 

To me, the Retreat area is a nice improvement over the Edge. The spaces are less rectangular and flow better. The martini bar area is a nicer layout too. The food and service have been great - hopefully the improvements are fleet wide. Overall, a great cruise on a great ship!

On 1/20/2024 at 5:36 PM, Shadow9612 said:

Thank you for this info @Jim_Iain.  

I am surprised by this design flaw (imo).  It must be a space-saving reason?

The slamming open/close in rough seas would be bothersome.

@Jim_Iain was your experience on Edge or Apex?  Is it possible that this would be modified on Beyond or Ascent?

Experience on both Edge and Apex.   On both we were in CS's and then won upgrades to RS.

They did not make any modifications on Beyond or Ascent.   I've not been on either yet and after our last experiences on Edge and Apex we will not be selecting E-Class again by choice.    I just looked at a YouTube video on both Beyond and Ascent and they are exactly the same. as Edge and Apex.