Naples - new entrance from port to metro opened

euro cruiser

The underground entrance from the port (Molo Angioino) to the line #1 metro is now open, after years of construction.  As often happens in Italian cities, as soon as they started digging, they started running into artifacts, so the process took a long time.

Now you can walk to the metro station, or simply get to the other side of Piazza Municipio, without having to cross the busy street.  This will cut the time to get to the station in half.

There are moving sidewalks, like those in the airport, to help cover the distance for those who need/want them.

You can see a video about the new station access from the city's website here (even if you don't understand Italian, you can see the entrance, the passageway, the signs to look for, etc.):  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Excellent news.  Not that we cruise into Naples often but eliminating that life-endangering crossing and easy access to the Metro is definitely a huge improvement in Port/City access and connection.

WOW!  We actually did not expect that new station to be opened in our lifetime :).  A huge improvement for those of us who love DIY travel.  Thanks for posting.

Hank

• Like 1

It is interesting that they also regard improving road traffic as a main benefit.  The tunnel will let them eliminate many of the traffic lights and pedestrian crossings on the street.

On 1/21/2024 at 5:43 AM, euro cruiser said:

The underground entrance from the port (Molo Angioino) to the line #1 metro is now open, after years of construction.  As often happens in Italian cities, as soon as they started digging, they started running into artifacts, so the process took a long time.

Now you can walk to the metro station, or simply get to the other side of Piazza Municipio, without having to cross the busy street.  This will cut the time to get to the station in half.

Hi, thank you for posting this new information! 

I have a question if you or anyone else can help....

We will be in Naples this September on a Sunday, on Celebrity Ascent from 7:00am - 6:00pm

We would like to take the train to the Royal Palace of Caserta.

We planned to take a taxi from cruise terminal to Napoli Central.

With this new underground entrance to line #1 metro now open, would you recommend taking the metro line #1 to the Napoli Centrale train station, or is a taxi still the easiest option? (prefer easiest over cheapest).

I also planned to purchase our train tickets online prior to our trip. I hoped to catch the 8:06am train.

Do you think we would have enough time to catch the 8:06 train either via the new underground Metro entrance or taxi, if our ship docks in Naples at 7:00am?

If taking taxi to Napoli Centrale is best option, do we just walk through this new underground tunnel to the other side to get taxi or are taxis located outside cruise terminal above this new tunnel?

Thank you!

Don't buy the train ticket in advance, this is a regional train, there are no assigned seats, it can't sell out, and the price never changes so there's no benefit or reason to purchase in advance.  It's very easy to do at the station.

The taxi is marginally easier as it's closer, the taxis line up in the parking lot between the cruise port and Molo Beverello, the adjacent ferry port.   Personally, I would just take the metro but that's me.  Either will work fine.

Note that the Reggia di Caserta participates in the Domenica al Museo program, which means it's free on the first Sunday of every month.  If your stop is the first Sunday, expect much larger than usual crowds.

You can buy your tickets for the palazzo and/or the gardens in advance, but there's really no need to:  Tickets - Reggia di Caserta (cultura.gov.it)

• 4 weeks later...

If my research is correct you can travel from Municipio metro station to Piazza Garibaldi and then on to Ercolano Scavi (Herculaneum) with the NA2 Integrato ticket. Is this ticket available at the ticket vending machines at the Municipio metro station?

They still had what looked like a long way to go when we were last in Naples, (2022) so I’m impressed that it’s now finished. It wasn’t too long of a walk before, but how easy now! Great news. 

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, hlperez said:

What is the name of the Metro station by the port?  and is Gaibaldi the Metro station for the Napoli Centrale train station?

Municipio.

The L1 line runs through Municipio to Piazza Garibaldi (the metro stop at Napoli Centrale).

On 2/19/2024 at 3:11 AM, Joey_L said:

If my research is correct you can travel from Municipio metro station to Piazza Garibaldi and then on to Ercolano Scavi (Herculaneum) with the NA2 Integrato ticket. Is this ticket available at the ticket vending machines at the Municipio metro station?

Hello @euro cruiser

Thanks for the great info. I have the same question as quoted above.

We are in Naples on Sat, 4/27. Our plan is to go to Herculaneum and then MANN. I'd like to use the metro/train option. Any pointers would be appreciated, like what ticket to purchase. I think I'm good with the stops: 1st trip- Municipio->Napoli Centrale->Ercolano Savi; then 2nd trip: Erc Scav->Baribaldi/NapCentrale-> Museo; then 3rd trip- back to Municipio.

Also, do you think we need to purchase a Herculaneum entry ticket in advance? I'm not coming up with the right website to even do that. What about a museum entry ticket in advance?

Any other quick 'must see' sites you might suggest we see in Naples?

Thanks, in advance, for your words of wisdom.

Janae

Posted (edited)

The route would be Metro #1 from Municipio/Porto to Garibaldi (Napoli Centrale).  Change here to the Circumvesuviana train (follow signs downstairs to the Circumvesuviana Garibaldi station). 

You DO NOT want the train to Sorrento, it no longer stops at Ercolano except morning and evening rush hours.  Take a train going to Torre Annunziata/Poggiomario, schedule here:  ORARI NAPOLI -TORRE ANNUNZIATA - POGGIOMARINO_13 settembre 2023_5.pdf (eavsrl.it)

The NA2 Integrato ticket (3,10 euro) would cover both segments of this trip, if you can get it at the metro station.  I'm not sure if you can, but it's the one to aim for.  If you find it, buy two so you'll have one for the return.

If you can't get it you'll need the local Naples ticket (UnicoNapoli Aziendale, 1,30 euro) for the metro and then the NA2 Aziendale (2,60 euro) for the Circumvesuviana to Ercolano.

For the return again board the line #1 metro and stay on until Museo.  The same tickets apply regardless of whether you get off at the port (Municipio/Porto) or the museum (Museo).

Another option for the return that avoids the change at Napoli Centrale requires a slightly longer walk in Ercolano (but it's downhill, rather than uphill to the Circumvesuviana station) from the ruins to the Portici-Ercolano Trenitalia station, where you'd get the regional train (two per hour in the middle of the day) and stay on it to Napoli Piazza Cavour.  This station is linked to the Museo station by an underground passageway, or you can walk outside.  The same ticket would apply to either return option.

(I have a class to get to, I'll come back and answer the rest of your question later.)

Edited by euro cruiser

Okay.  First, it's not necessary to buy tickets in advance for Herculaneum.  You can, if you want to, but there's no need to.  If it's pouring down rain on the one day you're in Naples, would you still go to Herculaneum?  If yes, then there's no loss if you bought the tickets in advance, but if like (I suspect) most of us, that's not where you're going to be in a thunderstorm.

You could also buy the museum ticket in advance but, again, there's no need to.

Now, for the alternate route back to Naples.

It makes sense to take the Circumvesuviana to get to Ercolano Scavi and it's a slightly downhill walk from the station to the ticket office of the ruins of 850 meters/one-half mile in an almost straight line.  To make a google map, use the following coordinates to locate the ticket office:  40.804665924114644, 14.347354718491795 and use 40.80889357432879, 14.354984190915653 for the Circumvesuviana Ercolano Scavi station.

You could easily reverse your trip and take the Circumvesuviana to Piazza Garibadi, and change there to the metro.

The alternative is a longer, though gently downhill, walk to the Trenitalia Portici-Ercolano station.  Starting from the ticket office (see coordinates above) to this station (40.80994084667233, 14.336104036437755) is 1.7 km/one mile on foot by the shortest route.  Twice as long, but still not very far and it avoids the change of trains.   Personally, I'd make the walk a little bit longer by taking main roads rather than the shortest route ("walk" the short route on google maps, the streets immediately after the ruins are kinda sketchy - they look on google as bad as they do in person).  I would walk as though I was heading back to the Circumvesuviana but turn left on Corso Resina and stay on this until SS18 and turn left here.  You can force a google map to do this by simply adding Corso Resina as in interim stop.  This route is 1.2 miles on foot.

Honestly, it's a lot easier than my explanation makes it appear.  

If you're at Herculaneum when it opens you'll be ready to leave by noon, or earlier.  You could easily make the 12:42 train that puts you at Cavour, steps from the museum, at 13:09 (1:09 PM).

EN - Trenitalia

It's a lovely walk from the museum back to the port, gently downhill.  You could walk straight down Via Toledo to Piazza Trieste e Trento, turn left to Castel Nuovo and take the tunnel right to the port.  You could also walk right through the historic center, a little less in a straight line, but that would let you experience Spaccanapoli, perhaps walk down Via S. Gregorio Armeno, the street with all the presepi (nativity scene) shops.  If there's time, you could stop at the cloisters of Santa Chiara, an oasis of calm in the middle of the city.

@euro cruiser- Thank you so much! This is info is golden. 🙂

One parting question, we may hire a guide if there is one outside Herculaneum when we arrive. Another option that I like to do when available are app based audio tours (often using geolocation). I've got the museum and Naples covered, but do do you know of any good ones available for Herculaneum?

12 hours ago, Americans-in-Paris said:

@euro cruiser- Thank you so much! This is info is golden. 🙂

One parting question, we may hire a guide if there is one outside Herculaneum when we arrive. Another option that I like to do when available are app based audio tours (often using geolocation). I've got the museum and Naples covered, but do do you know of any good ones available for Herculaneum?

I've seen that there is an ITGuide available via Apple Store but I haven't used it. In looking at reviews a few mentioned that the site doesn't have great wifi, which doesn't surprise me much due to its location. 

Rick Steves does good, downloadable tours but nothing for Herculaneum.

The site itself sells an audio guide that might be the best bet.

Thanks, so much, @cruisemom42. I appreciate your help.

On 3/29/2024 at 11:28 PM, cruisemom42 said:

I've seen that there is an ITGuide available via Apple Store but I haven't used it. In looking at reviews a few mentioned that the site doesn't have great wifi, which doesn't surprise me much due to its location. 

Rick Steves does good, downloadable tours but nothing for Herculaneum.

The site itself sells an audio guide that might be the best bet.