Vista. Waves has Pizza

Redtravel

1 minute ago, Kay S said:

I wonder if a traditionally Spanish restaurant would fly on O.

I'm betting not. If a cuisine hasn't made big and long term inroads in US then it might be to 'wild' for the majority. JMO

• Like 1

We live in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico (10 weeks a year) and dine out over 60 times in dozens of eating venues.  It is difficult to say what is Mexican cuisine since it varies from region to region throughout the country.  For example, last night DW and I split a grilled large red snapper which was served with a helping of rice and a selection of vegetables all cooked al dente.  The fresh fish was seasoned with some garlic and I am sure the usual salt. pepper..but not much else since the fresh catch fish should not be overpowered by spices.

So, folks, would you consider grilled fresh red snapper "Mexican food?"  Here in PV it is a popular item since a lot of the cuisine here is based on seafood.  Yes, we also have the usual Tex/Mex stuff and the locals routinely eat tacos at numerous street stands.  In another :"Mexican restaurant" I really enjoy the "Black and Blue Filet" which is a filet mignon with with half covered with a balsamic sauce and the other half a blue cheese sauce.  Does that sound Mexican?  The owner of that place is a 2nd generation owner and 100% Mexican.

Hank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Kay S said:

Of course, Spanish food and Mexican food are different.  My daughter spent a semester studying in Spain and came back a bit of an "expert" on the differences.  She's a good cook and learned many Spanish recipes, but she was limited in the authentic ingredients she could get here.  I wonder if a traditionally Spanish restaurant would fly on O.

How about the tortilla espanola ? I think they should stick with Italian and Asian Fusion 🙂

tortilla.jpg

15 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

In another :"Mexican restaurant" I really enjoy the "Black and Blue Filet" which is a filet mignon with with half covered with a balsamic sauce and the other half a blue cheese sauce.  Does that sound Mexican?  The owner of that place is a 2nd generation owner and 100% Mexican

Why don't you ask them if that dish is for the gringos? Beef isn't even traditional. 

50 minutes ago, clo said:

Why don't you ask them if that dish is for the gringos? Beef isn't even traditional. 

I think beef is more traditional then you might think.  Parts of Mexico, including near here, have a long tradition of cowboys (vaqueros).  In fact, they actually have their own style of rodeos (primarily attended by Mexicans) in this area.  Yesterday, we were surprised to see about 30 vaqueros on the beach, in front of our balcony, as they had ridden into town (from a nearby)  exhibition, to show their horses and have some fun.  These guys are very similar to our US cowboys and they make their living herding livestock (including cattle).  

In the 18 winters we have lived in Mexico, we have grown to understand that Mexican beef is leaner than what we normally get in the USA, but it can be quite good.  The problem when we talk about "traditional" Mexican cuisine is that what is traditional in Puerto Vallarta (such as fresh fish, tacos al pastor, etc) might not be found in other parts of the country.  The tradition of this country is to take advantage to what is readily available in the region...which varies all over the country.

Hank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I think beef is more traditional then you might think.  Parts of Mexico, including near here, have a long tradition of cowboys (vaqueros).  In fact, they actually have their own style of rodeos (primarily attended by Mexicans) in this area.  Yesterday, we were surprised to see about 30 vaqueros on the beach, in front of our balcony, as they had ridden into town (from a nearby)  exhibition, to show their horses and have some fun.  These guys are very similar to our US cowboys and they make their living herding livestock (including cattle).  

In the 18 winters we have lived in Mexico, we have grown to understand that Mexican beef is leaner than what we normally get in the USA, but it can be quite good.  The problem when we talk about "traditional" Mexican cuisine is that what is traditional in Puerto Vallarta (such as fresh fish, tacos al pastor, etc) might not be found in other parts of the country.  The tradition of this country is to take advantage to what is readily available in the region...which varies all over the country.

Hank

I checked and Mexicans consume chicken, pork and beef in that order. Perhaps more importantly:

Where does Mexico export beef to?

The United States

The United States was the main country of destination of Mexico's bovine meat exports in 2022, with an exports value of more than 1.68 billion U.S. dollars. Canada was the second leading destination, with 67.01 million dollars worth of bovine meat exports in that same year.Feb 5, 2024
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

So, folks, would you consider grilled fresh red snapper "Mexican food?" 

The best snapper I ever had was in PV.  Seafood in Mexico is always delicious.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, clo said:

I checked and Mexicans consume chicken, pork and beef in that order. Perhaps more importantly:

Where does Mexico export beef to?

The United States

The United States was the main country of destination of Mexico's bovine meat exports in 2022, with an exports value of more than 1.68 billion U.S. dollars. Canada was the second leading destination, with 67.01 million dollars worth of bovine meat exports in that same year.Feb 5, 2024

I will confess to not being a big fan of most Mexican beef.  Experts would probably say it is pretty healthy beef since it generally lacks the fat/marbling that many of us associate with the best more flavorful beef (think Wagyu).  Arrechera (which is similar to skirt steak) is pretty popular here in Mexico and is often served with some delicious sauces.

Hank

2 hours ago, clo said:

The man that owns that small restaurant is a dear amigo and would laugh if I asked him about serving a "gringo" dish.  His tiny restaurant was once mentioned by a NY Times food writer for their amazing "garlic soup with an egg" which is a take on egg drop soup.  Since that garlic soup was invented by his dad I guess that makes it Mexican cuisine.  Many fellow Americans think of Taco Bell as a good example of Mexican food.  Most of their offerings would be considered street food here (I do like that stuff) but things like grilled snapper, cactus salad, carnitas, etc. are not as well known in the USA.

Hank

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Most of their offerings would be considered street food here

Street food all over the world is one of my favorites. Unfortunately the rat we had in Thailand was overcooked.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

That sounds credible, just like in Italy.  The cuisine of my husband’s birth region (Friuli) is typical of alpine and pre-alpine European regions, including cooler- water seafood from its Adriatic coast above Venice.  It is completely different to the cuisine native to southern Italy.  Of course, over time, offerings from regions further afield are tried, accepted and absorbed (pastas, classic desserts, etc.).

i’m sure the same would occur in Mexico.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I will confess to not being a big fan of most Mexican beef.  Experts would probably say it is pretty healthy beef since it generally lacks the fat/marbling that many of us associate with the best more flavorful beef (think Wagyu).

Actually it seems that Mexican cows are both grass fed and sometimes grass finished. That is VERY popular and some Wagyu beef is being raised that way also. It's a plus in the US if it is...and costs more. I've had grass-finished beef and lamb and prefer it. It tastes more like beef and lamb. Stronger taste, more real. And, of course, we can't ignore the planet! So much water is 'wasted' raising grain.

I just read this which explains it far better than I can:

This comes out in the flavour as well: grass-fed striploin steaks are going to have an earthier, more complex flavour that often reminds first-time eaters of game meats like deer and moose (which makes sense, given that deer and moose also tend to have a wild plant-based diet).Sep 22, 2023

But to each his own.

16 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Since that garlic soup was invented by his dad I guess that makes it Mexican cuisine. 

Caesar salad was invented in Mexico!!!

6 minutes ago, LuAnn said:

Yes.. at Caesar's Restaurant in Tijuana!! 🙂 Ole'

And I'm so glad! I groan when I ask and find out there's no anchovy...so I don't order it.

1 hour ago, EJL2023 said:

Sooo……what about that pizza on Vista, Waves?

Pizza at Waves is fine and a good change of pace meal when the mood hits you.  

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, IDL said:

Pizza at Waves is fine and a good change of pace meal when the mood hits you.  

Do you get a slice or a whole pizza? Is it thin crust? Can you ask for it extra crispy?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, clo said:

Do you get a slice or a whole pizza? Is it thin crust? Can you ask for it extra crispy?

In the evening it’s whole pizzas only, made to order.  Yes you can ask for extra crispy, you can even customize your toppings rather than sticking with the menu combinations.

Edited by dirtydan
  • Like 4

Just now, dirtydan said:

In the evening it’s whole pizzas only, made to order.  Yes you can ask for extra crispy, you can even customize rather than sticking with the menu combinations.

BIG HUGS!!!

On 3/15/2024 at 5:27 PM, clo said:

Nor do I. They do quite a few things quite well, so why set myself up for disappointment if I don't have to.

OT but I just remembered that decades, we were living in Oregon and met an older friend at a local Mexican. They had what they called queso fundido aka melted cheese. IIRC it was yellow cheese and nothing else. Over the years I started making my own version: queso fundido con chorizo y poblano. Chorizo fresh from our Latino market , oaxaco cheese and roasted poblanos. Served with corn chips.

queso fundido.jpg

Now you’re just making me “almost” ready to head back home to Los Angeles where we have so many wonderful options for Queso Fundido!  Yours looks fantastic!

Thankfully I do still have a few more days to “force” myself to at these various Vista offering……most of which have been truly great!  Food……I love it all!

• Haha 1

On 3/16/2024 at 11:46 AM, clo said:

Actually it seems that Mexican cows are both grass fed and sometimes grass finished. That is VERY popular and some Wagyu beef is being raised that way also. It's a plus in the US if it is...and costs more. I've had grass-finished beef and lamb and prefer it. It tastes more like beef and lamb. Stronger taste, more real. And, of course, we can't ignore the planet! So much water is 'wasted' raising grain.

I just read this which explains it far better than I can:

This comes out in the flavour as well: grass-fed striploin steaks are going to have an earthier, more complex flavour that often reminds first-time eaters of game meats like deer and moose (which makes sense, given that deer and moose also tend to have a wild plant-based diet).Sep 22, 2023

But to each his own.

A bit of the story behind the beef imports from Mexico. The quality of beef produced in the US has improved dramatically over the past few decades. As that quality and flavor has increased so has the marbling and excess fat increased. What to do with all that fat. Answer: import lean beef from Mexico and blend it with the fat to make the different ground beef selections. This helps keep the beef prices up in the States while providing for an excellent export market for Mexico. Most U.S. produced beef is overall to high quality ( except for some limited cuts) and to expensive for hamburger meat.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pinotlover said:

A bit of the story behind the beef imports from Mexico. The quality of beef produced in the US has improved dramatically over the past few decades. As that quality and flavor has increased so has the marbling and excess fat increased. What to do with all that fat. Answer: import lean beef from Mexico and blend it with the fat to make the different ground beef selections. This helps keep the beef prices up in the States while providing for an excellent export market for Mexico. Most U.S. produced beef is overall to high quality ( except for some limited cuts) and to expensive for hamburger meat.

Thanks for that, p. Good info. We used to have a nearby sheep rancher and got half a lamb that was totally grass fed and finished and , oh my she-lord, what a difference! And I've occasionally had steak that tasted like cow 🙂 And I totally understand that some people don't care for that more 'natural' taste. And it IS expensive. As far as ground beef it's been years really since we've had any except for drive-thru McDs. We've been grinding pork shoulder for some years and any recipe that calls for ground meat gets pork. We love it! This is a huge convo...for another site clearly.

On 3/14/2024 at 4:37 AM, basenji56 said:

"If you're so upset about the tablecloths you should be just as upset that all the people in their ads are handsome and beautiful.  I've taken quite a few O cruises and I've got news for you, they are not your typical O customers.?

I've found that the people in cruise ship ads *are* typical customers.  Not the models in the foreground, but the odd "extras" that show up in the background.

• Haha 1

Just back from 11 days on Vista and 3 pizzas.  1 in Terrace, and 2 in evening Waves.

The one in Terrace, lunchtime, was watery.  I suspect it did not come from the Wave's oven.

Our first in evening Waves was a delightful soft-crust Margherita.  The other (toward the end of the voyage after more folks had discovered evening Waves) was a rushed, so-so Margherita.

Yeah, "the plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data' ", but there's 3 data points for y'all.

• Thanks 1