Vista. Waves has Pizza

Redtravel

Just off Vista.  Ate at most venues. Some good. Some less desirable. None were bad.  We were eager to try the new additions.  Liked Ember and Waves evening Pizzeria .  Waves is open at night as an Italian bistro. Tablecloths and service similar to the Terrace Buffet. Not thrilled with Aquamar kitchen.  Pizza at Waves was excellent.  Ate there last night of cruise.  We ate inside at the Terrace buffet.  Waves delivered our pizza to us.  It was really good.  Terrace Buffet at dinner is a great choice. It has everything on GDR menu plus grilled item, freshly prepared sushi, and salads.

Try the pizza. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

Just off Vista.  Ate at most venues. Some good. Some less desirable. None were bad.  We were eager to try the new additions.  Liked Ember and Waves evening Pizzeria .  Waves is open at night as an Italian bistro. Tablecloths and service similar to the Terrace Buffet. Not thrilled with Aquamar kitchen.  Pizza at Waves was excellent.  Ate there last night of cruise.  We ate inside at the Terrace buffet.  Waves delivered our pizza to us.  It was really good.  Terrace Buffet at dinner is a great choice. It has everything on GDR menu plus grilled item, freshly prepared sushi, and salads.

Try the pizza. 

Agree with everything said except we also loved Aquamar - ate many lunch there.  Liked the fact that we could customize their offerings to our liking!  The avocado toast is addictive

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

I found the Waves pizza surprisingly good given that the lunch pizza in Terrace is mediocre. 

I always felt that the lunch time pizza in the Terrace was a bit like an ‘add on’ just in case anybody wanted it. Definitely not a ‘proper’ pizza!

• Like 3

As long as there are choices, I believe finding something to eat will not be that difficult.  There have been cutbacks all over the industry, so not surprising “O" is doing the same.  I am not, in any way, advocating this, but just trying to be a bit realistic because food is very subjective.  My DH and I are not drinkers, but love having a gym to go to onboard.  I am still looking forward to my TA and trying Vista; will I love it, or just like...who knows?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lastdance said:

My DH and I are not drinkers, but love having a gym to go to onboard.  I am still looking forward to my TA and trying Vista; will I love it, or just like...who knows?

Since you mentioned the gym onboard, just be aware that it is smaller on the Vista than any Celebrity ship, which I see is your sailing history. The Fitness Center was very busy in the morning of sea days, and even in the afternoon of one of our sea days. Sorry, I don't have a photo to show you, that is one place on the Vista I didn't take a picture of. By the way, we enjoyed Aquamar for lunch and went there for half the days. They also serve breakfast but didn't try it.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, SeaWatch12 said:

Since you mentioned the gym onboard, just be aware that it is smaller on the Vista than any Celebrity ship, which I see is your sailing history. The Fitness Center was very busy in the morning of sea days, and even in the afternoon of one of our sea days. Sorry, I don't have a photo to show you, that is one place on the Vista I didn't take a picture of. By the way, we enjoyed Aquamar for lunch and went there for half the days. They also serve breakfast but didn't try it.

Thank you!  I have seen a photo of it, so yes, much smaller.  I have already shared with my DH that both of us will be doing a lot of fast walking and lots of stretching on our own.  The place we are staying in Algarve, Portugal has a small gym area too, so we will do our best to stay in shape.  One cannot have everything onboard a smaller ship, but can still get in a decent workout just to maintain.

• Like 2

On 1/21/2024 at 8:20 AM, Redtravel said:

Try the pizza. 

We thought it was great as well!! And the "starters" were good as well!! A real plus in my book as an option for dinner!! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

One of the few places to get wings too. Just be sure to place several orders if you like wings--the serving is only three wings.

Good info. We ordered pizza. While waiting, we had sushi at Terrace Buffet.  Sushi and pizza were both excellent.  

• Like 1

Just off Vista on 1/19 and agree that the Waves pizza was delicious! Would love to have tried some of the appetizers, but simply ran out of time.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/21/2024 at 11:20 AM, Redtravel said:

Try the pizza. 

Can you advise on dress code at night and say. Shirts and polo shirt ok ?..for men 

On 1/21/2024 at 4:55 PM, SeaWatch12 said:

I found the Vista gym more than adequate for its size and passenger load; never waited to get on any equipment.  When we sailed it was windy and rained some days so was not able to take advantage of the sports deck. 

56 minutes ago, Sirlancelot said:

Can you advise on dress code at night and say. Shirts and polo shirt ok ?..for men 

Assuming you meant shorts and a polo shirt? Assuming with regard to dress for Waves and the Terrace Cafe in the evening?? If my assumptions are correct, then yes shorts and polo shirt are fine. 

2 hours ago, IDL said:

just be aware that it is smaller on the Vista than any Celebrity ship,

Of course most Celebrity ships hold at least twice if not 3 times as many passengers. It's relative. 

22 hours ago, Sirlancelot said:

Dress is casual during the day. Dress at night is business casual in all restaurants except Waves and the Terrace Buffet. GDR and specialty restaurants, long pants and a collared shirt for men. Women wear long pants, capris, blouses  and dresses.   Waves and Terrace are casual at all times. You can wear shorts at night.  At night, the tables are set with linen clothes.  The food selection is amazing.  They have everything on the GDR menu plus grilled items and sushi.  Pizza at Waves is very good.  As the cruise progresses, more people choose the Terrace at night. On most ships, I hate the buffet.  Oceania buffet is the exception.   Some days, I eat all 3 meals there.  It is that good.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The Vista pay more get less program has its cheerleaders. An Applebee's and a Pizza Hut as culinary progress. Noisy rooms. Bad sight lines and complaints in the theatre. We'll stick to Riviera & Sirena. (The pizza on Riviera was fine, if you like that, though we do that most every Friday evening. I just felt sorry for the guy working there in the evenings, standing around waiting to make & bake a pizza. Competing against all the great food in the other dining venues.)

38 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

The Vista pay more get less program has its cheerleaders. An Applebee's and a Pizza Hut as culinary progress. Noisy rooms. Bad sight lines and complaints in the theatre. We'll stick to Riviera & Sirena. (The pizza on Riviera was fine, if you like that, though we do that most every Friday evening. I just felt sorry for the guy working there in the evenings, standing around waiting to make & bake a pizza. Competing against all the great food in the other dining venues.)

Glad we all have our own favorites for dining and for ships,  so there are no long lines or filled cabins anywhere on Oceania!  Enjoy Riviera and Sirena.....we are sailing Riviera again in the Fall on a B2B2B. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, basor said:

... Enjoy Riviera and Sirena.....we are sailing Riviera again in the Fall on a B2B2B. 

We just did our 20-night B2B on Riviera in the Med 10/30-11/19, 2023 and will do a 22-night B2B on Sirena in the Baltic Aug-Sept 2024. I will miss Riviera's big therapy pool on the spa deck! Loved that in the late afternoon and early evening after a hard day of great excursions and sight seeing. That gave us 30 nights on Riviera and will give us 32 nights on Sirena since our first O cruise on Riviera 12/2021.

19 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

We just did our 20-night B2B on Riviera in the Med 10/30-11/19, 2023 and will do a 22-night B2B on Sirena in the Baltic Aug-Sept 2024. I will miss Riviera's big therapy pool on the spa deck! Loved that in the late afternoon and early evening after a hard day of great excursions and sight seeing. That gave us 30 nights on Riviera and will give us 32 nights on Sirena since our first O cruise on Riviera 12/2021.

This will be our first time on Riviera - have sailed on all of the rest several times since starting in 2007(all on the small ships until last on Vista and one before a B2B on Marina......now, we are partial to the larger ships (and much to your chagrin loved Vista!). 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Some days, I eat all 3 meals there.  It is that good

We have also 🙂

BTW great info re dressing onboard.

2 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

You talk so much about subjective and objective, yet you run your mouth about a ship you've never been on. What type of opinion would you call that? Oh, wait, uninformed, that's what it is. Reading about other people's opinion has nothing to do with the reality of what the ship's actual experience is. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, ORV said:

Reading about what other people's opinion has nothing to do with the reality of what the ship's actual experience is. 

Really, so you think you can equate Ember to Jacques? Now we can quibble if Ember is more akin to Applebee's or Ruby Tuesday or some other generic American restaurant chain, but O won't get anywhere in the real world trying to convince passengers that their dining experience on Vista has been elevated if they've already eaten at Jacques. I can't tell what Ember truly adds, menu wise, that you can't get in Polo or the GDR.

O has this on their web site, BUT people who have been on Vista can't seem to agree if Ember actually always has...tablecloths!

"EMBER Elegant American Traditions

When the fuel of classic American dishes meets the fire of culinary masters in a sophisticated setting reminiscent of a Napa or Sonoma tasting room, Ember is the glorious result."  

The Finest Cuisine at Sea® & Culinary Cruises - Oceania Cruises

The picture on the page shows tablecloths, but does it have them?

And you really think that adding pizza to ships is somehow a significant improvement in the culinary experience? As if Americans and Canadians, the two biggest demographic groups on most cruises, don't get their fill of pizza weekly or monthly? Check out the data on pizza consumption. See weekends.

I guess if O wants the new ships to have a Pizza Hut and an Applebee's then that's objective culinary progress? Will a Denny's or Perkin's be next?

See the entire thread on NOISE in Vista. There may be more than one. That's coming from a plethora of passengers. On a variety of cruises and cabins.

As for sight lines and other issues in the Vista theatre, I didn't make that up. Repeatedly brought up as an actual problem over and over. I'm just shocked that whoever designed it apparently screwed up an easy thing.

And it is an OBJECTIVE fact that people are paying more to cruise on Vista compared to the other O ships.