How do upgrades work?

ByTheOcean

Booked to sail on Discovery Princess next month. Short cruise for a big birthday and celebration of recovering from a serious illness that very nearly killed me. Currently booked in a penthouse suite but received an email offering the chance to bid for an upgrade to a Sky Suite. I thought “why not? It’s a big celebration” and placed my bid. But the cruise is showing as sold-out. Am I bidding against the chance of someone cancelling? Or is “sold out” not always the same as “sold out” and cabins are held back from sale? 

In my personal opinion...you're only going to be successful if someone cancels.  It's not a sure thing...but I would think that if these upper quality level suites are showing as sold out, they probably are.  Travel agencies *can* be holding on to blocks of rooms which may contribute to the appearance of being sold out...if that's the case then as sail date nears you may see a big block of rooms suddenly become available.  Whether or not they would have  a Sky Suite being held...I somewhat doubt it, but's that's just my 2 cents worth.

• Thanks 1

Actually sold out means they have probably reached passenger capacity.  If you have the chance to move to a Sky Suite DO IT!  They are offering it to you so there is probably at least 1 available.  I would jump on it.  We just got off the Enchanted in a Sky Suite & would go in it again in a heart beat!  We are now spoiled for all other cabins but we loved it.  My husband said best vacation ever.

• Like 2

Thank you for the responses! I’m going to remain hopefully optimistic. I’m very happy with the penthouse we have. And I’m so glad that I’m even alive to take this cruise (at one point my chance of survival was given as “less than 5%” and I’m completely aware it’s nothing short of a miracle that I’m here). This would just be the cherry on the cake if we are successful with our upgrade bid. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, happy42cruise said:

They are offering it to you so there is probably at least 1 available.

Sorry, nope! That's not the way the program works. They will offer up *every* type of cabin for you to bid for on the off chance that there is a cancelation. That way...there's always somebody there to step in and they don't get stuck with an unsold cabin. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Sorry, nope! That's not the way the program works. They will offer up *every* type of cabin for you to bid for on the off chance that there is a cancelation. That way...there's always somebody there to step in and they don't get stuck with an unsold cabin. 

That makes sense. I guess anyone could cancel at any point in time for any number of reasons. So you never know… Happy with what we have. Would be thrilled if the upgrade works.

42 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

The Sky Suites don't show in inventory; you have to call in to book them, so, there is a definite chance (yes, I know for certain, TA 🙂 ). Best of luck to the OP; you already have good luck on your side!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jwattle said:

The Sky Suites don't show in inventory; you have to call in to book them, so, there is a definite chance (yes, I know for certain, TA 🙂 ). Best of luck to the OP; you already have good luck on your side!

Agree, I’ve never seen them in inventory.

@ByTheOceanhope you are successful.  Congratulations on your recovery.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

The OP was contacted "received an email offering the chance to bid for an upgrade to a Sky Suite" not just using the bidding process so I stand by my statement.  There is probably at least 1 available.  If you haven't noticed they are now contacting people & offering upgrades at a specific amount as a counteroffer so the original process seems to have changed.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ByTheOcean said:

Booked to sail on Discovery Princess next month. Short cruise for a big birthday and celebration of recovering from a serious illness that very nearly killed me. Currently booked in a penthouse suite but received an email offering the chance to bid for an upgrade to a Sky Suite. I thought “why not? It’s a big celebration” and placed my bid. But the cruise is showing as sold-out. Am I bidding against the chance of someone cancelling? Or is “sold out” not always the same as “sold out” and cabins are held back from sale? 

From my TA…Many times they hold staterooms back even it shows sold out.  I’m on the April 3rd cruise on the Discovery Princess where it shows no Mini Suites available but I have a bid for one, so I’m not worrying about it, except I don’t know how soon to the cruise they notify people. Perhaps other people that have had a bid excepted will post how soon to the cruise they were notified. 

Tom🤔

• Like 1