Do Uber and/or Lyft work in Australia & New Zealand?

This is an interesting discussion. When we were on our most recent cruise to the east coast (Boston to Montreal). We had 2 absolutely terrible experiences with the cabs in Boston we ended up trying Uber for the first time. What a difference, The cabs were all crappy Toyota Corollas or Prius, the first Uber was a BMW M5, not once did we get a Corolla.

We are more than happy to use cabs but, in our limited experience Uber has consistently better cars. If the standard for cabs in Australia is a Toyota Corolla or Prius then we will be using Uber, as far as tipping goes it's not part of the Australian culture and we won't be tipping anywhere,

• Like 2

I have never used Uber and likely never will. Have always had excellent service using cabs.

BTW Lyle. If using a cab (and l presume Uber et al) in Oz, a solo hirer usually sits in the front seat.

18 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I have never used Uber and likely never will. Have always had excellent service using cabs.

BTW Lyle. If using a cab (and l presume Uber et al) in Oz, a solo hirer usually sits in the front seat.

Thanks Lyndon, I tried the front seat but between the barrier and the payment point mounted behind the seat, the front seat is all the way forward. So if you are in the back seat the barrier made it like the front seat was all the way back. Suffice to say I'm not going to want any compact car for a cab.

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

Although it's okay to be old-fashioned (and do what your mother probably did) and sit in the back - I do.

As a woman in Australia, I have been catching cabs since the 1980s, and the only times I have ever sat in the back seat is when someone else was in the front seat. Once when I was in my 20s I was catching a cab at midnight (that's what time the bus got in to Brisbane from Sydney), and the cab rank was in this really sketchy place under the Roma St bus station. When I got to the rank there was only one cab left and some men were getting in. I was going a long way and the cabbie said I shouldn't wait there by myself. The fare was going to Red Hill which was close by. He said hop in and he would drop off the men then take me home. I didn't want to wait in the dark by myself so I hopped into the backseat amongst some men I had never seen before.

I then discovered that they were all quite drunk because they were celebrating that one of them got out of gaol that day. They were all very happy and the released guy gave the cabbie $20 toward my fare. Sweet!

Also, my husband's best mate is a cab driver, so in solidarity I have never used Uber. 

Edited by iq6000
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

As a solo woman I've always sat in the front of cabs & rideshares but since Covid it's been preferred by drivers that people sit in the back. During lockdowns here it was compulsory. I've since continued with that practice out of respect for the drivers. 

• Like 2

For those in the know.

I’ve never used Uber. I know there is an app. Does the app work in every country, or do I need a different app when I’m visiting NZ? Also does the 13cabs app work in NZ or is there a specific taxi app I need to download?

Thanks.

Hi, 13cabs isn't in NZ.  The most common taxi in NZ, especially in the main centres, is the Blue Bubble group.  For main centres also, or for airport pickups, Corporate Cabs are very reliable, and are best booked in advance as they have a more limited number of vehicles. They cost more, but will greet you with your name on a card at arrivals at the airport and are very professional, you can guarantee they'll turn up - many central city businesses use them, they're a cut above a common or garden taxi but you pay for that privilege. Having said that, I've used many Blue Bubble taxis and other than one "suicidal" driver who'd just broken up with his girlfriend and was deeply depressed and told me his tale of woe the whole journey, they've been fine 🚙 

3 hours ago, oshungoer said:

This may be of interest to persons taking a taxi in N.Z. where taxi meters are no longer compulsory but are used by the taxis I prefer.

https://www.consumer.org.nz/articles/taxi-fares

Negotiate a fare prior to getting into a non-metered taxi or you could end up paying more than you expected to. 

Thanks for the link. 

2 hours ago, Jean C said:

Hi, 13cabs isn't in NZ.  The most common taxi in NZ, especially in the main centres, is the Blue Bubble group.  For main centres also, or for airport pickups, Corporate Cabs are very reliable, and are best booked in advance as they have a more limited number of vehicles. They cost more, but will greet you with your name on a card at arrivals at the airport and are very professional, you can guarantee they'll turn up - many central city businesses use them, they're a cut above a common or garden taxi but you pay for that privilege. Having said that, I've used many Blue Bubble taxis and other than one "suicidal" driver who'd just broken up with his girlfriend and was deeply depressed and told me his tale of woe the whole journey, they've been fine 🚙 

Thanks for the intel. I rarely catch cabs in Oz either, but sometimes, especially when travelling, it is a must. I’ll have a look at Blue Bubble.

8 minutes ago, Ima Ginaree said:

Thanks for confirming that. I probably won’t use it, but want to be prepared in case if it becomes necessary.

I have used Uber in the US & canada. It is the same app everywhere & I have linked payment to my Paypal account which, to me, is a more secure way to go plus I can add or delete cards or bank accounts to be used for payments. I didn't check on the exchange rates if or not I was charged but it was very convenient. I also used Lyft which I actually used more than Uber.

The convenient thing is that, like here, you just request a ride, it turns up and it is paid without you having to transact or negotiate with the driver

20 minutes ago, yarramar said:

I have used Uber in the US & canada. It is the same app everywhere & I have linked payment to my Paypal account which, to me, is a more secure way to go plus I can add or delete cards or bank accounts to be used for payments. I didn't check on the exchange rates if or not I was charged but it was very convenient. I also used Lyft which I actually used more than Uber.

The convenient thing is that, like here, you just request a ride, it turns up and it is paid without you having to transact or negotiate with the driver

We link ours to Paypal and if travelling overseas we link to a credit card that doesn't charge foreign transaction fees. That's what I like about Paypal, you can change the credit card it goes to for each transaction if you want.