MSC stocked mini-fridge free?

Tim Cruise

18 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

I don't know MSC's policies, but generally, the answer is no, the mini-bar is not included.

Specific to MSC, as I understand it beer and soft drinks are included in the Yacht Club mini bars.  But not spirits.  However, the OP does not indicate if he is booked in YC relative to this question.

7 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Specific to MSC, as I understand it beer and soft drinks are included in the Yacht Club mini bars.  But not spirits

These days there are no spirits in the YC mini bars, but you do get to choose a full bottle for the cabin (more in some higher grades).

7 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

These days there are no spirits in the YC mini bars, but you do get to choose a full bottle for the cabin (more in some higher grades).

But as mentioned, this may be moot as we don't know if the OP is in YC.

3 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

But as mentioned, this may be moot as we don't know if the OP is in YC.

I am not. I'm fantastica. Can I get some beers from a bar or does the bar insist on opening them? I'd like to store up a balcony 6 pack.

53 minutes ago, Tim Cruise said:

I am not. I'm fantastica. Can I get some beers from a bar or does the bar insist on opening them? I'd like to store up a balcony 6 pack.

I would suggest posting this on the MSC board to get answers specific to that cruise line.  Here is that link:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/49-msc-cruises/

But I do know that other lines, RCCL and Celebrity for example, will provide unopened beers from the bar for your stateroom.  We do it all the time.

1 hour ago, Tim Cruise said:

Can I get some beers from a bar or does the bar insist on opening them?

I think this depends on the ship/bar. I couldn't get an unopened beer on Seascape earlier this month, but on Splendida in the Med, they'd give me several no problem. We were in YC on Seascape which includes the mini bar so we didn't worry about it on our recent cruise, but we were Fantastica on Splendida and we'd often take a beer from our mini bar and replace it later for the sake of convenience. On Splendida, they locked our mini bar early (night before disembarkation, I think it was?). Thankfully, this was noted on our end of cruise docs delivered to the room so we had time to restock it beforehand, but they will charge you for anything missing if you don't top it up on time.

23 hours ago, Tim Cruise said:

Everyone in my cabin has the drink package. Does this make a can of soda or beer in the stocked mini-fridge free?

Since you are not in yacht club, the mini fridge is not included. If you remove an item and do not get it replaced before your room steward takes his inventory, you just bought a drink. Best bet would be to have room steward remove items in fridge and replace with items from bars.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, rikitikitavii said:

Since you are not in yacht club, the mini fridge is not included. If you remove an item and do not get it replaced before your room steward takes his inventory, you just bought a drink. Best bet would be to have room steward remove items in fridge and replace with items from bars.

I can have them remove items? This I will do. Then my question is can I get cans if beer and request them NOT opened sonI can have some cabin drinks.

6 hours ago, Tim Cruise said:

I can have them remove items? This I will do. Then my question is can I get cans if beer and request them NOT opened sonI can have some cabin drinks.

You can definitely request for your room steward to empty your minifridge. I always do this on the first day. As for unopened bottles/cans, it's hit and miss depending on the bartender and the bar. I do not believe they are supposed to give you unopened bottles/cans, but some of them will. They will happily give you bottles of water unopened to stock your fridge with. I always stop by a bar and pick up a couple of bottles of water to pop in my fridge before bed.

Edited by JamieLogical

On 1/23/2024 at 1:56 PM, Tim Cruise said:

We've done 4 cruises with MSC so far and I've found a few friendly bar tenders each cruise who have been more than happy to give me a few bottles unopened 'for the room'. An early tip and probably more importantly taking the time to chat with them and asking them about themselves has probably helped though 

• Like 1

I don't know why I have never thought to request unopened bottles/cans to stock up the room fridge. I will definitely be doing this next week and also asking the room steward to empty it on day 1 as the kids always ask me to have things out of it when I have had a few.

38 minutes ago, alserrod said:

Thank you so much for the idea. I will also ask that the minibar be emptied on the first day.
Are there drinks that can be brought (besides water and beer)?

You might be able to pick up cans of unopened soda from the bars as well. Again, will depend on the bartender.

• Like 1