Formal wear?

Shipsareus

21 minutes ago, Shipsareus said:

Hi all

not sailed with Princess for some years.  Going to Alaska in May and wondering what the dress code is these days. Would welcome advice as to what men are wearing on formal nights?

many thanks

No need for formal wear on Princess cruises. A nice shirt and pants is good for men. And women can wear like outfits.

Now for the long never ending discussion on this issue.  Time for the adult beverages.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Shipsareus said:

Would welcome advice as to what men are wearing on formal nights?

many thanks

Wear what you would normally wear out for a nicer restaurant dinner, on a pretty cold evening and if you like to go for a walk on deck after dinner, we do. In Juneau in May, it will still be in the mid 40's F during the day and a few degrees above freezing at night. 

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Shipsareus said:

Hi all

not sailed with Princess for some years.  Going to Alaska in May and wondering what the dress code is these days. Would welcome advice as to what men are wearing on formal nights?

many thanks

To clarify, there is no dress code - they are recommendations.  But your question is what guests are actually doing/wearing because the Princess clothing recommendations have not changed in many years.  What has changed are guest habits and the relative looseness of DR Mgmt in accepting smart casual all the time.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jetstar said:

Thanks I and my husband r also going to Alaska in May.  I am interested in excursions which would not be too strenuous…as we are seniors…

Different subject, but look on the Princess website for excursions on your cruise or join the roll call for your sailing here on CC. Sometimes, people connect on the roll call for private excursions.

It's whatever you want it to be. 

A Tux, jacket & tie, short sleeve shirt & Dockers or jeans and some even intrepid it a shorts. 

Princess has given up any enforcement of a dress code & leaves it up to the individual's discretion. 

The important thing is not to be upset if someone doesn't follow what you perceive as proper and just enjoy yourself.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Shipsareus said:

Thanks everyone for the information. 
sounds like smart but no top hat!

Given that you're going to Alaska.. I would assume he'll have at least 1 pair of jeans or pants? As long as he's got one pair of jeans or pants he'll be fine. In most cases he'll be fine in shorts and a T-shirt (even on formal night), but if you happen to strike a Maitre-D out of step with the rest of the lin.. then the jeans or pants will get you by. Of course.. if you want to dress up more than that.. do what you like 🙂 

5 hours ago, MissP22 said:

It's whatever you want it to be. 

A Tux, jacket & tie, short sleeve shirt & Dockers or jeans and some even intrepid it a shorts. 

Princess has given up any enforcement of a dress code & leaves it up to the individual's discretion. 

The important thing is not to be upset if someone doesn't follow what you perceive as proper and just enjoy yourself.

I’ve seen the “no shorts” rule enforced several times in the last year or so. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Torfamm said:

I’ve seen the “no shorts” rule enforced several times in the last year or so. 

I've seen it ignored just as many times..

It's Alaska. They'll no doubt have a pair of jeans or something in their luggage they could chuck on if they were unlucky enough to strike a dress-code zealot. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Over from NZ said:

I've seen it ignored just as many times..

It's Alaska. They'll no doubt have a pair of jeans or something in their luggage they could chuck on if they were unlucky enough to strike a dress-code zealot. 

I’ve seen shorts ignored many more times than I’ve seen people turned away but I felt very sorry for one man who hadn’t packed pants for a cruise. It’s always good to be prepared.

• Like 1

Guest Snaxmuppet

I can't believe how people think that jeans are an acceptable dress for the MDR on any night, let alone formal night.

I know what people are saying... it isn't enforced so wear anything. But I think we are now losing something special from cruising. Princess is turning into RCCL or Disney and I for one consider that a shame.

Guest Snaxmuppet
44 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

I’ve seen shorts ignored many more times than I’ve seen people turned away but I felt very sorry for one man who hadn’t packed pants for a cruise. It’s always good to be prepared.

Well, I would feel sorry for them. The dress code/recommendations are very clear. Smart casual is the MDR dress code so when has shorts every been considered smart casual in any smart restaurant.

People that only want to wear shorts short eat in the buffet.

2 hours ago, Torfamm said:

I can't say I've seen any person turned away for any dress offence by as you mentioned, it's hard to believe anyone would leave on a vacation without at least 1 pair of pants in their suitcase. 😆

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

I can't say I've seen any person turned away for any dress offence by as you mentioned, it's hard to believe anyone would leave on a vacation without at least 1 pair of pants in their suitcase. 😆

I’d never go anywhere without a pair of pants but it seems there are people who only pack shorts for vacations to warm weather destinations. I was shaking my head watching people out in shorts in rainy 50 degree weather on a cruise to Thailand and Vietnam. I can only imagine that they didn’t realize it would be a lot colder in Hanoi than Bangkok. 🥶

Edited by Torfamm

Guest Snaxmuppet

But this is a cruise... on a Princess ship... so they should know that the MDR dress code is smart casual at worst and that pants are required. It isn't about the temperature of the sailing area... it is about being on a Princess cruise ship regardless of temperature.

We are booked on our first Princess sailing this year, do the majority dress nicely on normal evening and then more smartly on formal night? Is someone in jeans or shorts the exception rather than the norm? I would usually wear a cocktail dress and DH trousers and a casual shirt or polo on normal evening, and then an evening dress and suit on formal night. That will still be what we do as we wouldn't dream of wearing jeans or shorts to a nice restaurant at home so certainly won't on a cruise, but will we be very alone?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest Snaxmuppet

In spite of what some people are saying yes, most people follow the guide of smart casual on normal evenings in the MDR. For example, I wear chinos, open shirt or polo, with and without a jacket. Generally no tie. 

There might be the occasional person in jeans or shorts but it is very much the exception. You will not be alone. Most people dress sensibly in the MDR.

On formal nights you wouldn't feel out of place in either a Tux or just smart casual. It isn't stuffy. Just a relaxed way to dress up a bit if you want. I sometimes take my tux, sometimes not. It isn't a stress point for me either way.

This might be a bit different on cruising in hot areas but that is my experience on cruises from the UK.

Guest Snaxmuppet
49 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

Formal dress on Princess is going the way of the dinosaurs.  It is just not required and not enforced.

May be but still enjoyed and the more that do the better the experience is 🙂

Guest Snaxmuppet
45 minutes ago, Potstech said:

Despite what some will say jeans are permitted in the MDR for any meal. Those who push there own standard on others are often ignored.

Pass the popcorn, please.

May be permitted but it certainly isn't common. A few do wear jeans but most just don't. I can see for myself that most people enjoy wearing sensible clothes to the MDR... by that I mean clothes you might wear to a quality restaurant... smart casual at a minimum. Smart casual does not and never has included jeans... that would be casual 🙂

I get that you are an advocate for anything goes and that is your choice but by you posting what you did I think it is you trying to enforce your standard.

Why is it that some people are always trying to dumb it down. 

4 hours ago, Torfamm said:

I was shaking my head watching people out in shorts in rainy 50 degree weather on a cruise to Thailand and Vietnam.

I was shaking my head this morning when I was dropping my kid off at school in 38F degree weather. Some kids were wearing shorts and t-shirts. Brrrrrrrr!

Not mine, though. A puffer jacket and a hat.

As for a cruise, I am happy if people wear any pants to MDR. I've seen some ladies wearing gorgeous dresses and even complimented some of them, but I am not going to dress up, sorry. Our family just isn't into it.

Didn't we beat this already dead horse to an additional death in this thread? https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2978669-realistically-how-many-will-wear-tuxedos-on-a-12-night-panama-canal-princess-cruise/

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 4