Room upgrade bids

First NCL cruise this December, so a question for experienced NCL cruisers here.

Can you please tell me how the room upgrade bid works?

When are we eligible to place a bid for an upgrade?

We are booked in a standard balcony room. What are we eligible to upgrade to?

What are the starting bids for each upgrade?

Thanks everyone!!

4 hours ago, Therobielyn's said:

First NCL cruise this December, so a question for experienced NCL cruisers here.

Thanks everyone!!

The first thing you need to know is that not everyone gets invited to bid.

Sometimes, if a travel agent was used for the booking, no offer will be given, but, some TAs do participate).  And, often it is true you will not get initiation if you booked a "Sail Away" rate.

IF you are eligible, you will get an email to bid.

Also, you can look to see if there is a message to you in your MY NCL account Message Center.

Offers are after "Final Payment" has been made!

5 hours ago, Therobielyn's said:

Thanks everyone!!

You should get an upgrade invitation about 110 days prior to departure. (Note: some travel agents do not participate in the Upgrade Advantage program and you will not receive an invitation). 

From a standard balcony, you can bid on a Club Balcony Suite/Mini Suite through the biggest Haven/Suite on the ship. 

Starting bids are totally dependent on you specific cruise. Everyone, based on the room you currently have, has a different starting bid. For example, your starting bid for a mid-range Haven room may be $750 per person. While someone already in the Haven may have a starting bid of $200. 

Upgrades to Club Balconies can be processed any time from the day the offer is extended to two days prior to departure depending on room availability and the needs of the cruise lines to open up balcony inventory (they may upgrade you to offer more cheap balcony rooms to sell). 

Upgrades to Haven/Suites are normally done the week of cruise (Monday/Tuesday for a Saturday/Sunday departure). 

Remember: If you are bidding on a Suite, there are over 1000 rooms on a big ship that have the potential for bidding on a suite. Most cruises, the suites are sold out to paying customers and you are bidding for rooms in case someone cancels at the last minute. Minimum bids for suites will probably not win. 

image.png.c305910f9ffa60b8387d1cdf6b81e253.png

You are invited to participate in our Upgrade Advantage program, which gives you the opportunity to submit offers to upgrade your existing stateroom. Our suites offer more space to spread out, perfect for a couple or up to eight guests. Expansive balconies, living rooms and lavish baths make this a sumptuous retreat. You’ll also enjoy butler and concierge service, priority embarkation and disembarkation, complimentary champagne and other exclusive perks.

Starting bids (per person - your bid is double the amount shown) for a Haven room when we already were booked in the Haven.

image.png.e3d8ac8fc3dffc4ce13fc1de5b7fa488.png

Starting bids (per person - your bid is double the amount shown) when we were in a Club Balcony bidding on a Haven Room 

image.png.d9d7398adc943233b23105b0b9643042.png

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

You should get an upgrade invitation about 110 days prior to departure. (Note: some travel agents do not participate in the Upgrade Advantage program and you will not receive an invitation). 

From a standard balcony, you can bid on a Club Balcony Suite/Mini Suite through the biggest Haven/Suite on the ship. 

Starting bids are totally dependent on you specific cruise. Everyone, based on the room you currently have, has a different starting bid. For example, your starting bid for a mid-range Haven room may be $750 per person. While someone already in the Haven may have a starting bid of $200. 

Upgrades to Club Balconies can be processed any time from the day the offer is extended to two days prior to departure depending on room availability and the needs of the cruise lines to open up balcony inventory (they may upgrade you to offer more cheap balcony rooms to sell). 

Upgrades to Haven/Suites are normally done the week of cruise (Monday/Tuesday for a Saturday/Sunday departure). 

Remember: If you are bidding on a Suite, there are over 1000 rooms on a big ship that have the potential for bidding on a suite. Most cruises, the suites are sold out to paying customers and you are bidding for rooms in case someone cancels at the last minute. Minimum bids for suites will probably not win. 

You are invited to participate in our Upgrade Advantage program, which gives you the opportunity to submit offers to upgrade your existing stateroom. Our suites offer more space to spread out, perfect for a couple or up to eight guests. Expansive balconies, living rooms and lavish baths make this a sumptuous retreat. You’ll also enjoy butler and concierge service, priority embarkation and disembarkation, complimentary champagne and other exclusive perks.

Starting bids (per person - your bid is double the amount shown) for a Haven room when we already were booked in the Haven.

Starting bids (per person - your bid is double the amount shown) when we were in a Club Balcony bidding on a Haven Room 

This is such helpful information, thank you for posting the pics.

We booked through a TA where we are NOT able to participate in the bid to upgrade.  We ended up just calling our TA after final payment and paying for the difference between our Club Balcony and the lowest Haven suite.  We may try to upgrade again (paying the difference) to a larger of the Haven suites (if NCL will allow), but only if the Haven prices come down some (99 days to sailing and no change in Haven fares, whereas big drops in Club Balcony).

• Like 2

On 1/29/2024 at 10:12 PM, ggTexasGal said:

Offers are after "Final Payment" has been made!

Thats wrong. I dont know how it in Canada works, but in Europe you can bid at ~80 days and final payment is at 30 days. 

On 1/29/2024 at 5:59 PM, BirdTravels said:

I have a sailing coming up on Getaway in April and I never received an upgrade email.

I used a PCC, as I always do, and didn't receive one and I was looking. When I sailed Joy this past July I received the email and actually won my bid from an inside to a club balcony.

My wife told me that on the FB rollcall some had started receiving emails at the 110 day mark and so I went and manually inputted my name and res # and my upgrade offer was there.

I've since put in 2 bids and I await any response.

I mention all this for those that haven't received an email that want to bid, it might be available to you.

On 1/29/2024 at 6:36 PM, benel204 said:

This is such helpful information, thank you for posting the pics.

We booked through a TA where we are NOT able to participate in the bid to upgrade.  We ended up just calling our TA after final payment and paying for the difference between our Club Balcony and the lowest Haven suite.  We may try to upgrade again (paying the difference) to a larger of the Haven suites (if NCL will allow), but only if the Haven prices come down some (99 days to sailing and no change in Haven fares, whereas big drops in Club Balcony).

Its important to remind people not to get carried away when bidding. On our last cruise we had booked a Spa Balcony on the GA. I received an invite to bid and I put in 4 bids on different Haven Cabins. I had a certain max amount I was bidding and soon realized it was cheaper just to book the cheapest Haven cabin which was a Spa Haven Cabin

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Laszlo said:

Its important to remind people not to get carried away when bidding. On our last cruise we had booked a Spa Balcony on the GA. I received an invite to bid and I put in 4 bids on different Haven Cabins. I had a certain max amount I was bidding and soon realized it was cheaper just to book the cheapest Haven cabin which was a Spa Haven Cabin

Amen to that.  Matter of fact, I don't even big any more.  I just go to the web site and see what's available. If there's something I like, and the fare is good, I just book it.  

Upgrade bids, particularly these days, really have no benefit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Amen to that.  Matter of fact, I don't even big any more.  I just go to the web site and see what's available. If there's something I like, and the fare is good, I just book it.  

Upgrade bids, particularly these days, really have no benefit.

Thanks for that perspective.  As I mentioned earlier, we were not able to participate in the upgrade bid because our TA does not, so we went ahead and paid for the difference between what we'd already paid in full for CB and the Haven suite we are now confirmed. 

I'm just wondering though, if the fares for higher category Haven suites drop, can we can pay the difference again between our current (lowest category Haven) to a higher Haven category? Not sure how many times NCL allows passengers to do a cabin switch (to higher category) assuming we are willing to pay the difference. Right now there are still plenty of Haven cabins available (97 days from sailing). 

2 hours ago, benel204 said:

Thanks for that perspective.  As I mentioned earlier, we were not able to participate in the upgrade bid because our TA does not, so we went ahead and paid for the difference between what we'd already paid in full for CB and the Haven suite we are now confirmed. 

I'm just wondering though, if the fares for higher category Haven suites drop, can we can pay the difference again between our current (lowest category Haven) to a higher Haven category? Not sure how many times NCL allows passengers to do a cabin switch (to higher category) assuming we are willing to pay the difference. Right now there are still plenty of Haven cabins available (97 days from sailing). 

All cruise lines love to sell you more expensive cabins. Unlikely you will have any problem with that. But, if by some miracle the more expensive cabin is less than your current booking, then that's a no to your request after final payment.

Edited by cruiser2015
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, benel204 said:

Little early for Haven to sell out.  Usually I’ve seen that happen about 30-45 days out.  Obviously lots of variables…ship, amount of cabins, itinerary, etc.

I believe you can get a “courtesy” price adjustment once.  

Curious…why did your TA say they could not “participate” in the bid upgrade process?

10 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Little early for Haven to sell out.  Usually I’ve seen that happen about 30-45 days out.  Obviously lots of variables…ship, amount of cabins, itinerary, etc.

I believe you can get a “courtesy” price adjustment once.  

Curious…why did your TA say they could not “participate” in the bid upgrade process?

Our TA is a wholesaler that also sells tires, wine, and hot dogs..... 🙂 Turns out that booking our NCL cruise through them meant we could not be in the 'bid to upgrade' thing (an agreement they made with NCL).  

24 minutes ago, benel204 said:

Our TA is a wholesaler that also sells tires, wine, and hot dogs..... 🙂 Turns out that booking our NCL cruise through them meant we could not be in the 'bid to upgrade' thing (an agreement they made with NCL).  

We did ours last year through USAA, and we couldn't bid either.

On 1/31/2024 at 12:38 PM, bkrickles1 said:

I have a sailing coming up on Getaway in April and I never received an upgrade email.

I used a PCC, as I always do, and didn't receive one and I was looking. When I sailed Joy this past July I received the email and actually won my bid from an inside to a club balcony.

My wife told me that on the FB rollcall some had started receiving emails at the 110 day mark and so I went and manually inputted my name and res # and my upgrade offer was there.

I've since put in 2 bids and I await any response.

I mention all this for those that haven't received an email that want to bid, it might be available to you.

Can you tell me where you input these details for the upgrade, just incase I dont get the email?  Many thanks.

24 minutes ago, lorwill said:

Can you tell me where you input these details for the upgrade, just incase I dont get the email?  Many thanks.

In the app click on Room Upgrades and then fill in your last name and reservation # or click link below

https://upgrade.plusgrade.com/offer/NCL/

Edited by bkrickles1

On 1/31/2024 at 4:01 PM, Jordan61 said:

We did ours last year through USAA, and we couldn't bid either.

We've booked all trips through USAA and unless something changed recently, we could bid on sold out categories on NCL for trip Sept 2022 and several MSC since restart.

5 hours ago, dexddd said:

We've booked all trips through USAA and unless something changed recently, we could bid on sold out categories on NCL for trip Sept 2022 and several MSC since restart.

My fault for assuming. We never did get an upgrade bid email or were able look at any of bid options in the Room Upgrades section of the app, so I assumed it was because we booked through USAA.