Dress code enforcement for dinner

Kastaka

10 hours ago, kwokpot said:

One way to denote the poster is an experienced cruiser to give their opinions more weight vs someone who's only been on 1 or 2 cruises. 

Post deleted, not getting involved on second thoughts 👍

Edited by C4HCG

On 1/30/2024 at 7:18 AM, Kastaka said:

I'm a bit worried about the smart casual requirements for dinner - as a tech worker my entire wardrobe is tshirts, hoodies and cords :). Do I need to go buy some nice tops or am I going to be okay? 

Just don't sit near some people on cruise critic or you will be a topic of discussion.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

On 1/30/2024 at 10:51 AM, kwokpot said:

For guys that don't like wearing pants and don't really have any what I would suggest is going to Underarmour and buying one or two pairs of GOLF PANTS. They are extremely comfortable, lightweight and easy to pack, and once worn are indistinguishable from traditional khaki-type trousers. Pair that with a nicer looking polo-type shirt and you can wear that outfit for the whole cruise. 

Photo of example from Amazon. Honestly this exact outfit, including shoes, would be totally fine for Chic Night on a Celebrity Cruise. 

41W4-i3pcML._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Nope. The stripes in the shirt--in fact the entire shirt--is CASUAL. Get at least a long-sleeved black shirt with a collar, preferably not made of knit.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, sofietucker said:

Nope. The stripes in the shirt--in fact the entire shirt--is CASUAL. Get at least a long-sleeved black shirt with a collar, preferably not made of knit.

You are wrong! 😂 I suggest you familiarize yourself with Celebrity's suggested dress guidelines for the MDR in the evening. 

Edited by doghog

There are guidelines for those who follow the rules.  

Just like there are guidelines for those who reserve pool deck chairs or not smoking on balconies.

Some just X the rules.

I get a lot of exercise rolling my eyes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/30/2024 at 9:28 AM, Kastaka said:

Oops, it looks like this is more contentious than I was expecting! I'm female, by the way. I have some corporate polo shirts from a few companies ago, it sounds like they'll be okay?

I like to wear dresses, my wife does not wear dresses.   I bring a dress( from Universal Threads @ Target) in black and another color.  Then, I bring a couple kimonos to switch out.  I talked my wife into buying a few sporty skorts and a few plain colored fancier t-**** from Target for our upcoming Edge cruise.  She didn't want to have to wear pants.  I convinced her that skorts are basically shorts with a piece of fabric over. 

1 hour ago, CruiseRQA said:

The slobs have won prfc.    But it is funny how they want to dress like slobs but then get mad about being called slobs.  

I can only speak for myself, but while I wear a dress every night - fancier ones on chic nights - I just don't understand why people let how someone else is dressing affect their cruise enjoyment so much, especially when most (not all - but most) are *actually following the cruise line's guidelines*. If you feel the cruise line's standards are too low, maybe give a different line a try and save yourself some aggravation.

I did see the buffet supervisor run a barefoot, shirtless, sopping wet teenager out of the Oceanview buffet on my most recent cruise, so you'll be delighted to know there are still *some* standards. 😬 I had never seen a cruise employee so angry!

• Like 4

On 1/30/2024 at 11:28 AM, Kastaka said:

Oops, it looks like this is more contentious than I was expecting! I'm female, by the way. I have some corporate polo shirts from a few companies ago, it sounds like they'll be okay?

Yes!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kwokpot said:

While dress code posts on Cruise Critic will be a forever topic I will say that it seems the most contentious on Celebrity vs Royal,Ncl,MSC,Virgin,and Carnival. Those cruise line forums certainly have people asking dress code questions but it never spirals out of control like it does on the Celebrity board,

I would agree with that. Ten years ago, Royal (my only other frame of reference) was almost as rigid as Celebrity, but now they've progressed with changing generational standards and have (somewhat) relaxed their dress guidelines.  Their discussion forums have followed suit (no pun intended) and for the most part people no longer hyper-ventilate over this topic.

Only on Celebrity does there seem to be an old guard who just can't let this go.  Still dreaming of the golden age of cruising, where it was tuxes and ball gowns every evening and the people in steerage knew their place.  Times have changed... wish I could say the same for some of the posters here 😁

• Like 3

On 1/30/2024 at 11:36 AM, JeffT237 said:

Hello all, I just excitedly booked my first Celebrity cruise this morning and thought I'd browse the Celebrity boards to see what's up.  Good to see the boards are no different than the Royal Caribbean and Princess boards who we normally cruise with so I can feel right at home! (sarcasm) A good dress code debate to start my cruise research is always the way to go, maybe I can be lucky enough to find a tipping thread next! Happy cruising all!

If you thank the Dress Code debate can be entertaining you should check out the Cunard board.  I was chuckling reading a thread where there was a heated debate on whether it was ok in a hot climate to take off ones jacket while or after dancing.  

There's also a great 5 page long debate when someone asked if her husband would be ok in a light grey suite in lieu of a tuxedo.    

My mind went immediately Hyacinth Bucket of Keeping up Appearances.

What can I say,  I'm taking my first Cunard cruise in October.

• Haha 4

On 2/1/2024 at 5:42 PM, Texed said:

Good bet.  😁

we did.. noticed "wearing or not wearing! "

Like the couple in EDEN on Ascent last week,  who pretty much undressed each other on the dance floor..Felt bad for the performers.  The rest of us tried to look away.

I later  saw the female in the hallway to the ladies room falling into 2 people.  Fortunately, this was the extreme but it was fairly low class!

• Haha 1

On 2/5/2024 at 10:34 AM, sofietucker said:

I would call it casual.  But I would also say it meets Celebrity dress code.  

I know I'm repeating myself, but honestly don't understand how this is even an issue on a Celebrity cruise.  Even the Chic Night dress recommendations are pretty casual. The list of things not allowed is pretty short.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We're going to do a TA in 2026.  Not sure what we're going to do as far as dressing up.  Probably just hit the buffet. LOL

2 minutes ago, calicakes said:

We're going to do a TA in 2026.  Not sure what we're going to do as far as dressing up.  Probably just hit the buffet. LOL

Honestly I've been on 6 cruises in the past year.   On our Australia / New Zealand everyone was so casual we didn't bother with our regular Jacket and Bow Tie on Chic nights.    I felt very well dressed with slacks and a Tommy Bahama shirt.  

Jeans or Chino's and a collared ***** (including a collard golf shirt) are kinda the norm.    Not judging but seeing a rather large older man in Bib Overalls and a 5 gallon hat seemed a little too relaxed.   He was asked to remove his hat -   Points for the Maitre'd

Remember -  Dress Code as posted on Celebrity Site -

Specialty Restaurants (Including Luminae for our Suite Class guests and Blu for our AquaClass® Guests) The dress code in Celebrity's Specialty Restaurants is Smart Casual for every night of your cruise. Evening Chic attire is only required in the main dining room on your “Evening Chic nights.”

Just now, Jim_Iain said:

Honestly I've been on 6 cruises in the past year.   On our Australia / New Zealand everyone was so casual we didn't bother with our regular Jacket and Bow Tie on Chic nights.    I felt very well dressed with slacks and a Tommy Bahama shirt.  

Jeans or Chino's and a collared ***** (including a collard golf shirt) are kinda the norm.    Not judging but seeing a rather large older man in Bib Overalls and a 5 gallon hat seemed a little too relaxed.   He was asked to remove his hat -   Points for the Maitre'd

Remember -  Dress Code as posted on Celebrity Site -

Specialty Restaurants (Including Luminae for our Suite Class guests and Blu for our AquaClass® Guests) The dress code in Celebrity's Specialty Restaurants is Smart Casual for every night of your cruise. Evening Chic attire is only required in the main dining room on your “Evening Chic nights.”I

I was responding to your comment about Cunard.  We want to do the NY to Southampton TA in 2026.  

On 2/5/2024 at 10:34 AM, sofietucker said:

I would call it casual.  But I would also say it meets Celebrity dress code.  

I know I'm repeating myself, but honestly don't understand how this is even an issue on a Celebrity cruise.  Even the Chic Night dress recommendations are pretty casual. The list of things not allowed is pretty short.  

5 minutes ago, calicakes said:

I was responding to your comment about Cunard.  We want to do the NY to Southampton TA in 2026.  

Ahh wish you could join us.... We now have two booked.     To me it seems like a steal.  The one for October 2024 was only about $8,500 (for both of us) in Queens Grill.  I would consider Queens Grill equivalent to SS.   Princess Grill similar to Aqua. 

Understand your remark now.    We will be pulling out our Tux as well as Sport Jackets for regular nights.    It seems that Jackets and collared shirts are the norm for "casual" night -  Black Tie or Dark Suite for Formal nights.   The theme for the second formal night is Costume i.e. masked ball (Tux with a mask if you choose to participate).

17 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Ahh wish you could join us.... We now have two booked.     To me it seems like a steal.  The one for October 2024 was only about $8,500 (for both of us) in Queens Grill.  I would consider Queens Grill equivalent to SS.   Princess Grill similar to Aqua. 

Understand your remark now.    We will be pulling out our Tux as well as Sport Jackets for regular nights.    It seems that Jackets and collared shirts are the norm for "casual" night -  Black Tie or Dark Suite for Formal nights.   The theme for the second formal night is Costume i.e. masked ball (Tux with a mask if you choose to participate).

Well, considering the dress code, maybe we should book OV.  Julie will NOT want to get dressed up.  Getting her to wear a skort on this next cruise is a miracle. 

The core issue--on all the endless dress code threads, and the accompanying drama--is fundamental disrespect. It's "How can I get away with breaking the rules?" It's a middle-finger salute to their fellow passengers, the officers, and the crew. It's a childish "You can't make me!" 

Folks will tie themselves in knots to not "have to" wear this or that. But no one is MAKING you! Easy solution: eat in the buffet! They literally serve much of the same food. Or even order surf & turf in room service. But no. Folks want to get out there and wag it in everyone's faces: "Ha ha ha! Lookit me! I got away with it!"

We once sat at a table for 12 where everyone else was in tuxes or dark suits and one clown paraded his sleazy shiny oversized tee shirt with a bow tie screenprinted on it. His companion in her dressy gown was clearly uncomfortable. We all felt his sneer was directed right at us, losers who follow the guidelines. 

But that's what these folks want to do: ruin everyone else's time with their rebellion. Because they are too immature to tolerate wearing a collar for two hours.. They are also the ones who get kicked out of cathedrals in their shorts and ball caps.

(PS: Julie can simply wear slacks and be comfy; no one makes anyone wear a dress.)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sofietucker said:

The core issue--on all the endless dress code threads, and the accompanying drama--is fundamental disrespect. It's "How can I get away with breaking the rules?" It's a middle-finger salute to their fellow passengers, the officers, and the crew. It's a childish "You can't make me!" 

Folks will tie themselves in knots to not "have to" wear this or that. But no one is MAKING you! Easy solution: eat in the buffet! They literally serve much of the same food. Or even order surf & turf in room service. But no. Folks want to get out there and wag it in everyone's faces: "Ha ha ha! Lookit me! I got away with it!"

We once sat at a table for 12 where everyone else was in tuxes or dark suits and one clown paraded his sleazy shiny oversized tee shirt with a bow tie screenprinted on it. His companion in her dressy gown was clearly uncomfortable. We all felt his sneer was directed right at us, losers who follow the guidelines. 

But that's what these folks want to do: ruin everyone else's time with their rebellion. Because they are too immature to tolerate wearing a collar for two hours.. They are also the ones who get kicked out of cathedrals in their shorts and ball caps.

(PS: Julie can simply wear slacks and be comfy; no one makes anyone wear a dress.)

I get more offended by people’s behaviour than what people wear. Bad behaviour can ruin things, if someone has for example worn shorts in the MDR I wouldn’t even notice.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

When we cruised  on QM 2, we received a list of events with expected attire for each..it was helpful.

We think pax on  Cunard at night were more  "dressed up" than most on  X.. We would bring a dark suit or sports jacket ( husb)  and 1 long and 1 short cocktail style dress for me   Non formal nights the quieter  Tommy Bahama shirts  or light sweater/ knit shirts worked fine...( our cruise went to Canada)

6 hours ago, C4HCG said:

I get more offended by people’s behaviour than what people wear. Bad behaviour can ruin things, if someone has for example worn shorts in the MDR I wouldn’t even notice.

Pretty much this.  I'm a pretty chill person and none of this spoiled any of my cruises but these were all things that I noticed way more than however people were dressing: 

• People with bare feet up on couches and chairs in places like Cellar Masters and the Sky Lounge.  That's gross.  This isn't their living room.
  • People facetiming or talking on speaker phone at full volume in places like Cafe al Bacio.  Bonus points if there are musicians performing at the same time.  Who wouldn't want to hear a soundtrack of violin strings played along to Aunt Bertha's surgery details?  Have some consideration for people around you and mind the volume level or go somewhere private. 
  • The lady who took one of the full display bowls of breadsticks off of the buffet and brought it to the theater to eat.  I'd make a joke and say at least it wasn't a plastic lobster.  She got caught trying to do this again and was told those were display only. 
  • People who brought plates of buffet food with them to the theater during Beyond the Podium talks, ate the food during the talks (so everyone else had to smell it and hear cutlery) and left the dirty dishes behind.  Again, this isn't their living room. 
  • The dude getting all bent out of shape in Sushi on Five because he was in a suite and wanted to have a seat right away.  I've been in a suite but mine did not come with the perk which has you make an ass of yourself.  (Spoiler alert: he did not get seated before the people in front of him who actually had reservations)
  • The lady who was so drunk on the first night that she was trying to exit the ladies' room by somehow climbing through the mirror.  I get maybe she thought it was a door but wouldn't she try to at least avoid the other lady climbing in towards her?

So yeah, a quiet person minding their own business but wearing shorts to dinner wouldn't even rate a zero on my give-a-care-o-meter. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

If you thank the Dress Code debate can be entertaining you should check out the Cunard board.  I was chuckling reading a thread where there was a heated debate on whether it was ok in a hot climate to take off ones jacket while or after dancing.  

There's also a great 5 page long debate when someone asked if her husband would be ok in a light grey suite in lieu of a tuxedo.    

My mind went immediately Hyacinth Bucket of Keeping up Appearances.

Jim, So which one are you taking, the grey suit or your tuxedo?

56 minutes ago, Mangrove Snapper said:

• The lady who was so drunk on the first night that she was trying to exit the ladies' room by somehow climbing through the mirror.  I get maybe she thought it was a door but wouldn't she try to at least avoid the other lady climbing in towards her?

I would have paid good money to witness this. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, kenb said:

Jim, So which one are you taking, the grey suit or your tuxedo?

I have a beautiful black on black Versace Tuxedo that I've only worn once and really looking forward to wearing it.  It is so comfortable I hardly feel I have a jacket on.    

OK --- I'm a rebel --- I doubt I will be wearing a Black Tie.     I have about 30 to pick from. 

• Like 1