How Windy Does it Have to Be for Ocean Cay to be Skipped?

Cruzinforpeace***

I'm on for the first time at the same time as you so I've really been wondering this myself. It's the only stop I'm looking forward to, I'd be bummed. I know it can't be helped sometimes but I hope we don't have to skip it 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Warudor said:

I'm on for the first time at the same time as you so I've really been wondering this myself. It's the only stop I'm looking forward to, I'd be bummed. I know it can't be helped sometimes but I hope we don't have to skip it 

I feel the same way!  It’s really not a great itinerary other than that island.  We booked out of curiosity and of course the low cost.  Even if it’s really windy and we’re able to dock I’m fully intending to go ashore and check it out.  I hope we do dock🙏

2 hours ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

So what direction (high) winds would stop a docking?

The wind direction, wind speed, or other factors that prevents a docking are whatever the Captain decides will prevent docking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fissues said:

I would think 25 knots or above. It’s also about wind direction. The pier on the island is blanketed from a northerly wind direction. 

Last month it was 29 knots and we made it. You are correct it's the direction.

We have been unable to dock 3 times out of 10.

For those who have never been, there is a channel that is cut thru the rocks underwater and it's probably a good half mile but the last 1000 ft is heavy rock on both sides.

If the wind is blowing wrong they could be pushed into the rocks.

As they enter there are only a few and there is a bail out area so they can go around and try again.

The pier is on the south side and once the ship makes the channel run it must do a 180 degree rotation then pull along side the dock.

I don't remember the bad side for winds but it either East or West. I want to say easterly is the bad one in higher winds.

• Thanks 2

While wind is a big factor as the ship is one big sail, you also have a tide/current component the Master factors in.

There is a "rescue ship" (says RESCUE on the side) stationed at the island that has tug boat capabilities from what I observed that can offer assistance but I've never seen it used just moored with a crew nearby the docked ship. 

• Thanks 1

I am not a mariner, but I suspect that a wind blowing to port or starboard presents more problems than a wind blowing to forward or aft.  The side of the ship would act as a giant sail pushing the ship toward the edge of the channel.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Warudor said:

I understand how you feel.  We were on the Meraviglia repo from New York to Miami and were to be the very first to visit the island.  Unfortunately it wasn’t ready so we never made it.  Really hope that we get to visit when on Seascape in a couple of months. 

7 hours ago, Beamafar said:

Really hope that we get to visit when on Seascape in a couple of months. 

Sounds like you were very close to missing it again with that cruise, as you must be one of the last to visit before the shut-down for the redevelopment work in early April...

3 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

Sounds like you were very close to missing it again with that cruise, as you must be one of the last to visit before the shut-down for the redevelopment work in early April...

Hadn’t heard about that.  Do you know when it’ll be shut down and re- opened?  

Ocean Cay is scheduled for temporary closure beginning 7 April, the departure date of our next cruise. We did not stop there on our last cruise (a transatlantic) so we added a cruise in September when <fingers crossed> it will be open again and perhaps vastly improved.

We know there is a chance that the re-opening will be delayed whilst they perform their work on the dastardly combination of "Italian time" and "island time" but are hopeful that by September it will again be open. We are also hoping that the start of closure might possibly be delayed, but know that we are probably not going to be that lucky.

PS: I spent my entire management career quoting that "hope is not a strategy" but what else is there in this situation? LOL

I understand that some of the work is deepening and widening the channel for the new larger ships. Hopefully that will make it easier to dock in windy days for the smaller ships. 

I believe as it is Davina for example has an easier time than for example Seaside. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Beamafar said:

Hadn’t heard about that.  Do you know when it’ll be shut down and re- opened?  

April 7th - May 22nd was the original plan, but as mentioned above, I wouldn't plan to be there on May 23rd... 🙂

Just now, Mark_T said:

April 7th - May 22nd was the original plan, but as mentioned above, I wouldn't plan to be there on May 23rd... 🙂

Thanks.  I agree - these things never go according to plan.  Factor in that it’s MSC - that, alone, is enough!  🙄😆

A friend just returned from the Seashore  and said it took more then an hour to dock at Ocean Cay. She said it was windy and it took the crew multiple attempts to dock but they finally made it. As noted in a previous post, ships must navigate a narrow channel that's almost a half mile long. In order for the ship to dock on the starboard side they have to back the ship down the channel. Wind would certainly be a factor.

Generally 30-35kn will be the limit for 90% of cruise ships. Minor deviations around this are related to direction, tug type and availability, ship configuration, masters experience etc. But you'd be unlikely to see a cruise ship operate above 35 knots. 
 Some of the issues with wind are around the 'swept path' (drift angle/crabbing) in a channel, also the ability to manoeuvre on and off the berth and also the ability to remain alongside (the mooring ropes & wire cables have limits and therefore thrusters may need to be left on all day to prevent them reaching their breaking strength)

• Thanks 1