Live and Solo: B2B on Oasis Feb 4 - 18, a Running report

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from DandDM! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic. Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

DandDM was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

Hi everybody!  At the Tucson airport and ready to get this trip going!  Long layover in Atlanta, then to Miami with a day to relax before boarding the Oasis on Sunday. I haven't done a live for the last couple cruises, and was debating doing this one, especially since I'm really not doing much on the cruise as far as exciting ports and excursions...HOWEVER, am planning to run the Rock n Roll 10k in Las Vegas a week after the cruise is over, so preparing for that will bring a bit of a twist to my vacation plans.  This is the context for "Running" in the title.

Quick background on the cruise: made some new friends on the Allure last year who talked up cruising around Super Bowl.  They make it sounds pretty cool, and they had the Feb 11 Oasis cruise already booked. That Allure cruise was seven days and felt like I really didn't get to experience the ship, so ended up booking two weeks - this is not my first B2B, but first time was able to get the same cabin for both legs. Unfortunately, my friends ended up having to cancel but I'm sure I'll still have a great time.  

The cruises have three ports: Falmouth Jamaica, St Thomas and Nassau, plus two times each at Coco Cay and Labadee.  For the first cruise booked the zip line in Labedee and the new beach club in Coco Cay; but nothing in the other ports. Very curious on how the Superbowl festivities play out; I've read what I could find on the boards and will do my best to share what I find out on board. The lack of activities is two fold, part because I've been to these places before, but also to keep flexible for training and/or impromptu adventures.  The impromptu part is out of character for me (I'm a planner), but have had good luck getting ideas from fellow passengers, in bars, during the cruise. 

No pet photos 😞 so will share a photo of my overpacking, and beer at the airport!

IMG_7726.jpg

IMG_7728.jpg

• Like 5

Running post.  Going to talk about non cruise stuff here, so if not interested, feel free to move on!  But if you read further, this post may make you cry or laugh...maybe both.

I've been a runner for my adult life (note that I'm slow and 'jogging' is probably a better description, but my group always has referred to it as 'running').  But as I get older, my physical fitness swings have gotten bigger and bigger, and frankly, I was in a bit of rut through the winter. Around New Year, was thinking back to some conversations I had during Hood to Coast last year (for non-Northwesterners, that is a relay race that goes from the top of Mt Hood (east of Portland) to the Oregon coast). Hmm double (), fancy or meandering...  Some of the folks in my van had done the Rock n Roll half in Vegas and talked highly of it. I was feeling pretty good at that time, and love Vegas, so had favorable thoughts.

Researching, realized the Rock N Roll was a week after this cruise, and since I did not train through the fall, gave up on the idea.  Then on a dark winter evening, with maybe too much adult beverages in my system, decided that even if I couldn't do the half, I could do a 10k and that would give me a reason to get into better shape and move too far backward on the cruise.  At that point, had less than two months to train.

Oh, shoot, plane is about to board!  Need to finish this beer and get going, will finish in Atlanta.

Cheers,

• Like 3

Leading up to this trip, went dry for two weeks. Both to give my liver a break, but also to help lose some weight (didn’t work). Off the wagon today, got this before the plane took off. 

it’s not apple juice. IMG_7729.thumb.jpeg.e33bf231e84da2da933caf710714dd51.jpeg

• Like 4

Continuing with the running post, I’ll try and be brief as I’m typing on my phone (it gets harder as you get older). 

signed up for the race having only run a handful of times since August. At home in Washington (state) hit the treadmill hard and built up some endurance and lung capacity. After two weeks was feeling pretty good about my progress, the last treadmill run was for five miles under 50 min. 

but then I traveled to Arizona to visit my folks, and the sunny weather did not keep the training storm clouds away!  Headed out on my first day there with happy thoughts and went up a hill…. The 3800 ft elevation crushed me, one of the worst runs ever!  

was there for two weeks and things got better, but just about every run made me question my life choices. By the end, was able to get in four miles at a 11 min pace, still not having fun.  

Tomorrow I’ll plan to run on South beach - really hoping the lack of elevation will given me a needed boost to my morale!  

photo from my run yesterday of the desert. IMG_7725.thumb.jpeg.d5e04dba591234065d9d3fc56f53d121.jpeg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, mets07 said:

Enjoy the cruises and happy running! 🛳️ 🏃‍♂️ 👟

Both are topics I enjoy. 

Cheers!  

32 minutes ago, wolfcathorse said:

please confirm who your captain is...Capt Goran or Capt Ante

Will do. 

• Like 1

I’m now safely in Atlanta. After the sparkling wine, got a couple Woodford and sodas.And a sandwich.

IMG_7730.thumb.jpeg.9aae2dccc3cfa6306f69cd29467c2c5d.jpeg

IMG_7731.thumb.jpeg.157c7b3c7492a6087e2744b71272e51c.jpeg

they also gave me a cookie, which is now in my bag. Be strong, Dustin!  IMG_7732.thumb.jpeg.5ef0f898c3da7640e1180396b1b62ffa.jpeg

• Like 3

Back the to cruise…

Excluding travel days on each end, trip will be 17 days. Minimum goal is for 10 runs. Like to think there will be more, but with days getting on/off ship and other distractions, this seems reasonable. I have runs planned in Nassau and St Thomas. 

Have thought a lot about life on board, and haven’t quite figured it out. Figured I would take the stairs when possible and avoid late night pizza. At meals, no bread and try a salad instead of creamy soup or deep fried appetizers. But I do want to enjoy the cruise food, and have a couple specialty restaurants planned the first week. 

To this point, I’d appreciate some pointers and friendly reminders of my goal. Help me out!  

• Like 3

A story while I’ll hanging out in Atlanta. Quite a while ago, when Cuba was open, my (late) wife and I had a red eye to Miami with a middle of the night stop in Atlanta. 

we were waiting for the connecting flight and I realized I didn’t have my ring. Panic set in and I searched the public bathroom I’d used and scoured every public place I could. Finally gave up.,and then found my ring in the suitcase, apparently came loose when packing. Tough night, but a great trip!

• Like 3

We are heading to ATL this morning for our flight to Miami.  Boarding Oasis tomorrow for the 7 nights, then a day in Miami and a 4 day on Freedom.  I’m looking forward to it.

12 hours ago, perfect match said:

I’ll be following! Oasis should be fun. 🤩 

Looking forward to being on board!

6 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

have a great trip- we love the Oasis and all of the Oasis class ships.

Thanks!

4 hours ago, ATG said:

We are heading to ATL this morning for our flight to Miami.  Boarding Oasis tomorrow for the 7 nights, then a day in Miami and a 4 day on Freedom.  I’m looking forward to it.

See you on board 😃

This morning was a little rough. Between finally getting to my room at 2am, and going from no alcohol to all the alcohol, wasn’t feeling too hot. But I made it for a run!  It wasn’t great on time and distance,  but felt ok, definitely better than the high desert runs. I can build on this….

IMG_7750.thumb.png.6110582a85c71772c6fdd5708c89db68.png

while I though I was slow, kept seeing these signs that I was going too fast!  

IMG_7744.thumb.jpeg.26fcc8fa0c702299af78bcba965dcf13.jpeg

Edited by DandDM
Added photo.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Staying at the Fairwinds in South Beach. Hotel prices were high for this Friday/Saturday stay so saving a few bucks by being a block off the beach. 

The room is clean and has a coffee maker and huge shower. Perfectly adequate. 

IMG_7746.thumb.jpeg.e800a6cd2ae565d5a932bab8074acdb2.jpegIMG_7749.thumb.jpeg.409fff4b060f12fb4661b6d3d110d063.jpegIMG_7748.thumb.jpeg.8a904185452deae900f249b1cc7d529f.jpegIMG_7747.thumb.jpeg.9cf9219355a5ec2894784ffa30974b4f.jpeg

• Like 1

Saw the Icon while jogging

IMG_7743.thumb.jpeg.45bc4263ee229b4a6552a4618a4965aa.jpeg

At a restaurant near the hotel, Sunny’s. Maybe not the best choice, but needed something this for my hangover,,,,IMG_7751.thumb.jpeg.fe8e9ee6e861ebdc24df63e46cd3c992.jpeg

• Like 1

Hanging out at the hotel’s rooftop pool. Walked around after eating and now thinking about a nap!  
IMG_7758.thumb.jpeg.fdf2035dad53825b2b0a70f67f5b8312.jpegIMG_7760.thumb.jpeg.eee048c355be3e8ffab1ac1ad6e05f4b.jpegIMG_7759.thumb.jpeg.b7589890cdc3ae2101e6d05eb9746058.jpeg

some photos from the walk. Waldorf Towers will be post cruise lodgings. 

IMG_7756.thumb.jpeg.fc22d26c8628a248f95927380379cf88.jpegIMG_7755.thumb.jpeg.7945b7b8a47ed75df6ef24874942dd65.jpegIMG_7754.thumb.jpeg.1448ef26d73afe8365605d84550133c4.jpegIMG_7753.thumb.jpeg.edb76877a58963ecc5c2cf4f18125b94.jpegIMG_7752.thumb.jpeg.a0a1ef80d844d468d29befa8e101ccfa.jpegIMG_7745.thumb.jpeg.e239caaceaeb50f3e7a04dfb198abc76.jpeg

• Like 8

It looks warm there! It is cold and wet here. 😃 Enjoy your cruise! I am following to see nice, warm vacation photos. 

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Coralc said:

It looks warm there! It is cold and wet here. 😃 Enjoy your cruise! I am following to see nice, warm vacation photos. 

Will do!  Although the locals are saying it’s kinda cold right now - high today was 73 and might not breath 70 in a few days. But the islands will be perfect ( I hope)

31 minutes ago, ckrobyn said:

Following along!

I will be sailing Oasis for my first solo cruise on February 25th 😀

I’ll warm it up for you!  If any questions on things I can research on board, let me know. 

• Thanks 1