"To-Go" breakfast or snacks?

FoggyEthan

Has anyone tried options for grabbing a simple to-go breakfast or snacks when going on an early shore excursion and you don't feel like eating breakfast first? What works well? Can the living room bar make a coffee in a to-go paper cup?

Thanks!

• Like 1

There are paper to-go cups at the Livinging Room bar and the World Cafe.  There are individual yogurts, whole apples, pears, plums, and bananas, breads, cold meat, cheese.  It's possible there are restrictions on bringing food ashore, especially fruit.

Edited by carolinetodd
Misspelling
  • Like 2

It will all be about open hours of the World Cafe or the Living Room Bar, and how early you want to get something, but yes, there are always - as carolinetodd said - the paper take out cups for coffee.

If you are carrying any food in a bag, I would not expect anyone to stop you with fruit or any food, as on 10 Viking cruises, I have never experienced or heard of any restrictions, but not that they could not exist somewhere.

The other thing to consider, is you can order room service breakfast and write on the menu that you want your coffee in paper cups with lids, etc.  Room service is open 24 hours.

I have coffee / tea delivered every morning for 5am as the coffee maker in the room is too noisy for that hour and will wake my husband, and when walking to the World Cafe at that hour often the coffee machines are in cleaning mode at that hour.  Just to note, I also specify on the room service menu to knock once only and leave the tray outside the door.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CDNPolar said:

If you are carrying any food in a bag, I would not expect anyone to stop you with fruit or any food, as on 10 Viking cruises

Yeah, they're probably not going to check your bag but it's most likely against the host country rules.  They don't want bug, bacteria, etc. imported on fruit.  The US is that way as well.  

• Like 1

Not true that they won’t check your bags when going ashore. Depends on the country, but I’ve seen fruit confiscated at ports in Chile, for instance. In Norway, however, no checks and no issues. The CD usually makes an announcement on the day about “no food or no fruit” ashore. Sometimes even no plastic disposable water bottles!

That said, if you have need of food ashore, you can have a sandwich/lunch box made up for you (room service)—again, depends on the country restrictions and whether they have checks when you get off the ship.

I always have packaged snacks from home—granola bars/trail mix, etc. And there’s always the fruit/nut packets from the mini-bar as well.

• Like 2

The nut/fruit combination from your minibar seems to be allowed,  according to people I asked. In some countries if you are caught bringing fruit into the country the penalties are harsh….not worth the chance. And I have never found a country that didn’t sell apples.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, FoggyEthan said:

Has anyone tried options for grabbing a simple to-go breakfast or snacks when going on an early shore excursion and you don't feel like eating breakfast first? What works well? Can the living room bar make a coffee in a to-go paper cup?

Thanks!

6 hours ago, carolinetodd said:

There are paper to-go cups at the Livinging Room bar and the World Cafe.  There are individual yogurts, whole apples, pears, plums, and bananas, breads, cold meat, cheese.  It's possible there are restrictions on bringing food ashore, especially fruit.

There are also “to go” coffee and cups at the bar at the Star Theater. Makes it convenient while the daily excursions are assembling/waiting.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 2

I agree, read the daily bulletin and watch the port briefing.  If you are told NOT to take fruit or other food ashore follow the instructions. I have seen containers set up for disposable of fruit or other foods as you get off the ship. Some countries will not allow meats or cheeses from the ship.

If there are no prohibitions on taking food ashore you may want to take a "sandwich". I always carry ziplock bags when I travel. You will have the mini frig in your cabin. Order something from room service, such as Cheese platter. There is usually more on the Cheese platter than we will eat.We usually eat on the platter for 2 afternoons. I just put the extra in the ziplock in the frig.  Pack your togo snack or order from Room Service.

If we go to the Breakfast buffet I may fix a sandwich to carry for a light lunch when touring. Also I carry a few granola or breakfast bars and a few individual serve packages of peanut butter when I travel.

Have a Great cruise.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

Not true that they won’t check your bags when going ashore. Depends on the country, but I’ve seen fruit confiscated at ports in Chile, for instance. In Norway, however, no checks and no issues. The CD usually makes an announcement on the day about “no food or no fruit” ashore. Sometimes even no plastic disposable water bottles!

Thanks for the comment about Norway -- almost all our ports are Norway. Plus one in Denmark and one in Iceland. And the room snacks also a great idea.

19 hours ago, FoggyEthan said:

Thanks!

In Australia, you are prohibited from bringing food from the ship onto shore:

https://www.abf.gov.au/entering-and-leaving-australia/can-you-bring-it-in/list-of-items#

In New Zealand, you must declare any food items, and in my experience you will likely lose them:

https://www.customs.govt.nz/personal/prohibited-and-restricted-items/agricultural-items/

Both countries take food imports very seriously - people trying to circumvent the rules are dealt with severely, as in high fines and sometimes detainment. Don't even think about it in those two spots ... 🍺🥌

• Like 3

13 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

https://www.abf.gov.au/entering-and-leaving-australia/can-you-bring-it-in/list-of-items#

In New Zealand, you must declare any food items, and in my experience you will likely lose them:

https://www.customs.govt.nz/personal/prohibited-and-restricted-items/agricultural-items/

Both countries take food imports very seriously - people trying to circumvent the rules are dealt with severely, as in high fines and sometimes detainment. Don't even think about it in those two spots ... 🍺🥌

Chile also requires you to pass through agricultural inspection. Invasive species are a big issue for many countries. 

14 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

When we disembarked in Auckland (end of a cruise), a dog and his handler found an apple in a person’s carry-on and confiscated it.

In Japan, it's customary to bring a gift.  I would like to bring Canadian Maple Fudge for a friend of our children who lives in Japan and also for our tour guide in Tokyo.  Does anyone know if this is allowed?

Since reading this thread, I've been researching the topic and I have been getting conflicting information.

8 minutes ago, millybess said:

In Japan, it's customary to bring a gift.  I would like to bring Canadian Maple Fudge for a friend of our children who lives in Japan and also for our tour guide in Tokyo.  Does anyone know if this is allowed?

Since reading this thread, I've been researching the topic and I have been getting conflicting information.

If it's packaged food, you're OK.

From the Consular General of Japan in Seattle:

GENERAL FOODS

Upon arrival to Japan, you are responsible for declaring certain food items for quarantine inspection and providing the appropriate certificates during the customs clearance process. It is usually not necessary to declare store-bought canned, bottled or packaged food items that are highly processed and do not contain any meat. Some examples may include crackers, dried pasta, candy, jam, tea or coffee. Oh the other hand, some products may be prohibited for import depending on the origin of contents.

https://www.seattle.us.emb-japan.go.jp/about/import_restrictions.html#:~:text=It is usually not necessary,on the origin of contents.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

If it's packaged food, you're OK.

From the Consular General of Japan in Seattle:

GENERAL FOODS

Upon arrival to Japan, you are responsible for declaring certain food items for quarantine inspection and providing the appropriate certificates during the customs clearance process. It is usually not necessary to declare store-bought canned, bottled or packaged food items that are highly processed and do not contain any meat. Some examples may include crackers, dried pasta, candy, jam, tea or coffee. Oh the other hand, some products may be prohibited for import depending on the origin of contents.

https://www.seattle.us.emb-japan.go.jp/about/import_restrictions.html#:~:text=It is usually not necessary,on the origin of contents.

Thanks very much for this.