TA or book direct?

Lvntrvl

On 2/6/2024 at 2:32 PM, shepherd really said:

A cruise line employee is working to maximize the cruise line's bottom line. 

Good point, *but*  (and what is the cliché?  "When someone says 'but', nothing before that counts?" 😉) sometimes you fall into a loss leader or some other special case, so the cruise line employee will have the best deal for you.

Case in point, when we had zero O cruises but were unhappy with post-COVID Princess, I called O direct trying to decipher O's published pricing on a cruise.  The in-house rep cut us a deal that no TA could come close to (we checked around, and no they couldn't).  The in-house rep apparently had loss leader authority to try and hook us on O -- and he surely did.

To use another cliché, "Embrace the power of 'and' ":  Try to get pricing from O direct *and* TAs -- note the plural.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

And for me the "real world" STARTS with O's sales. That Extraordinary Savings Sale in early 2023 that was an absolute blow(!) out did NOT come from any TA. But from O. And that saved $$$$. As opposed to OBC or the like that are pennies on the dollar in many cases. My A3 on Riviera last year was $1899 PP for 10 nights and the B3 on her as the B2B was just $1749 PP for 10 nights. That's the "real world". Of sales.

I had an opposite experience where sale was only offered through my TA and a few others. Had a 7500 pp fare already booked reduced by 2500 pp through a sale not available direct.  It was a Regent cruise, but I know

Oceania offers similar deals on occasion. That is also the real world of sales!

As I understand it, Oceania has a preferred group of TAs (can't recall the formal name for the group) who are likely to get "support" from O which could be passed on to customers. Getting prices from one of those companies might be an interesting exercise.

I further understand that all of those TAs are in North America. - so absolutely no use to customers like me in other parts of the world.  

1 minute ago, Harters said:

As I understand it, Oceania has a preferred group of TAs (can't recall the formal name for the group) who are likely to get "support" from O which could be passed on to customers. Getting prices from one of those companies might be an interesting exercise.

I further understand that all of those TAs are in North America. - so absolutely no use to customers like me in other parts of the world.  

I have not been able to find a list. Googled many combinations of words. I think the group is the Connoisseurs Club.

I also found a 4 page document from Oceania stating that rebates or discounts by TAs is forbidden. Wish I knew how to copy and paste it here.

42 minutes ago, SATaxman said:

I also found a 4 page document from Oceania stating that rebates or discounts by TAs is forbidden.

That seems to be followed about as much as their alcohol policy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, SATaxman said:

I also found a 4 page document from Oceania stating that rebates or discounts by TAs is forbidden. Wish I knew how to copy and paste it here.

::ponders::

I wonder if O's "no rebates" rule is enforced more strictly than it's "only 6 bottles of alcohol can be brought aboard"?

@ORV  Your post came up as I was proofing mine.  "Great minds run in similar tracks -- lesser minds call them "ruts"  😉 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SATaxman said:

I have not been able to find a list. Googled many combinations of words. I think the group is the Connoisseurs Club.

Yes and my agency which openly rebates and advertises it is a large Oceania producer.who hosted Oceania's president (just before he took the top job) in their offices located far from Miami in the Western U.S. Figure that one out.

2 hours ago, edgee said:

I had an opposite experience where sale was only offered through my TA and a few others. Had a 7500 pp fare already booked reduced by 2500 pp through a sale not available direct.  It was a Regent cruise, but I know

Oceania offers similar deals on occasion. That is also the real world of sales!

Not for those who see the glass half empty.

10 hours ago, SATaxman said:

I have not been able to find a list. Googled many combinations of words.

Not a list but Googling for Oceania Connoisseurs Club will find you at least a few TAs mentioning their membership on their websites. 

4 hours ago, Harters said:

Not a list but Googling for Oceania Connoisseurs Club will find you at least a few TAs mentioning their membership on their websites. 

I tried that with quotation marks around all three words. Only 2 responses; both were from Cruise Critic with people recommending a TA who is a member of that group.

23 minutes ago, SATaxman said:

Only 2 responses

Odd. When I did it, there were three TA websites coming up on the first Google page. I would love to give you the links  but, of course, that would be against CC rules. I think I only put the quotes round "Connoisseurs Club", rather than all three words. 

15 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

And for me the "real world" STARTS with O's sales. That Extraordinary Savings Sale in early 2023 that was an absolute blow(!) out did NOT come from any TA. But from O. And that saved $$$$. As opposed to OBC or the like that are pennies on the dollar in many cases. My A3 on Riviera last year was $1899 PP for 10 nights and the B3 on her as the B2B was just $1749 PP for 10 nights. That's the "real world". Of sales.

You are missing the point.

O sales are great. But if you used a TA, you would still get all the perks that TA offers ON TOP of O sales.

• Like 1

Once upon a time, cruise lines could dictate policies to cruise/travel agencies.  But these days, the large so-called consortiums (i.e. groups of agencies) have so much clout that "dictating" policies is not a simple matter.  Consider that one particular consortium has over 15000 "travel advisors" and generates more than $10 Billion in annual bookings.  They have "clout" and use it.  The cruise lines truly need these large consortiums so there is obviously give/take when they negotiate.

Hank

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

You are missing the point. O sales are great. But if you used a TA, you would still get all the perks that TA offers ON TOP of O sales.

No, I'm not. I book under sales and rebook under sales. Did "cruise only" before SM and book our own excursions and airfare. Bring our own alcohol on board. I did contact one of those supposedly amazing TAs. They make some wonderful videos of O cabins, for example. They did NOT want my business. 

So, for those without a TA, try this: Call a TA up and say, "I only want to book an O cabin on a deep sale with no airfare and no alcohol upgrade package and we'll do our own excursions." Then tell us all, how did it go?

What is weird is how those extolling the virtues of TAs NEVER tell us how many thousands of dollars annually and over a 5- and 10-year period they spend with their TA. TAs know their whales and they know the clients that generate them money. They don't work for free. Unlike those who talk in generalities, I provide specific details on what I spend on the cabin, airfare, and excursions. I spent about $100 for all the alcohol I bought in Europe for our 26 nights there (including 20 on Riviera), and I packed 3 bottles of hard liquor in my checked back, looking at them as I type this.

Just now, MEFIowa said:

No, I'm not. I book under sales and rebook under sales. Did "cruise only" before SM and book our own excursions and airfare. Bring our own alcohol on board. I did contact one of those supposedly amazing TAs. They make some wonderful videos of O cabins, for example. They did NOT want my business. 

So, for those without a TA, try this: Call a TA up and say, "I only want to book an O cabin on a deep sale with no airfare and no alcohol upgrade package and we'll do our own excursions." Then tell us all, how did it go?

What is weird is how those extolling the virtues of TAs NEVER tell us how many thousands of dollars annually and over a 5- and 10-year period they spend with their TA. TAs know their whales and they know the clients that generate them money. They don't work for free. Unlike those who talk in generalities, I provide specific details on what I spend on the cabin, airfare, and excursions. I spent about $100 for all the alcohol I bought in Europe for our 26 nights there (including 20 on Riviera), and I packed 3 bottles of hard liquor in my checked back, looking at them as I type this.

Many have answered this question for you but some how you continue to not like the answer.....we do not spend thousands annually, do not book suites, book our own air and take advantage of O sales and our TA is happy to take our business, pass on her perks and reprice for O sales (which often she catches before we do).  Done with this - you do you and others will do theirs (saving more $$$ than you profess to be a star at).

• Like 7

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, basor said:

Many have answered this question for you but some how you continue to not like the answer.....we do not spend thousands annually, do not book suites, book our own air and take advantage of O sales and our TA is happy to take our business, pass on her perks and reprice for O sales (which often she catches before we do).  Done with this - you do you and others will do theirs (saving more $$$ than you profess to be a star at).

What, none with any specificity, just as I immediately note you didn't provide any specificity. I never get numbers. I'm happy to give out numbers. Our 10-night B3 at $1749 and our 10-night A3 at $1899, both on Riviera. Airfare came in at $1000 round trip. As I said, alcohol just for the 20 nights and excluding what I took home under $60 total. AND we had $725 each in OBC!

I seriously DOUBT on our recent 26-nights in Europe, 20 on Riviera, that any of them paid less than we did overall. But then we book under sales and rebook under sales and my wife loves to track airfare.

I even did the currency work, buying our Euros the year before when the Euro was at about 99 cents to the dollar. We bought E500. (As of Wednesday's WSJ page, 1E=$1.0859. I'm tracking 4 currencies for our upcoming Baltic cruise.)

10-nights on Riviera 12/2021 was A4 $2099 and 10-nights on Sirena 11/2022 was B2 $2399

Edited by MEFIowa
Added a clarifying comment
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

We always book cruise only, no air, no excursions (before SM), and still get the rebates. And we book the cheapest cabins (OV or FV on Vista).

We also booked SS 3 times with the same TA, no air, got ~12-13% rebate. 

Of course they don't work for free. Who said they do? If they get 15% commission from the cruise line, they pass 10% to the customers.

Sorry, but I'm done with this too. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

What, none with any specificity, just as I immediately note you didn't provide any specificity. I never get numbers. I'm happy to give out numbers. Our 10-night B3 at $1749 and our 10-night A3 at $1899, both on Riviera. Airfare came in at $1000 round trip. As I said, alcohol just for the 20 nights and excluding what I took home under $65 total.

I seriously DOUBT on our recent 26-nights in Europe, 20 on Riviera, that any of them paid less than we did overall. But then we book under sales and rebook under sales and my wife loves to track airfare.

I even did the currency work, buying our Euros the year before when the Euro was at about 99 cents to the dollar. We bought E500. (As of Wednesday's WSJ page, 1E=$1.0859. I'm tracking 4 currencies for our upcoming Baltic cruise.)

Congratulations !  Since I haven't taken any of the same cruises you have, my numbers make no difference because they can't compare...on our upcoming B2B2B cruise (booked almost 2 years ago onboard and transferred to TA), we have rebooked  cruises 3 times under varying sales plus received OBC and $$$ perks from TA and booked our own air using miles.  We use our OBC which covers any drinks, excursions, etc. so have no shipboard balance at end of cruise.  Happy or do you want us to be like you and list numbers for cruises that no one else can compare to make a point?  Plus, I would never be so gauche to discuss what I paid for a cruise with anyone onboard or on social media to try and sound superior.  Again, can't you be happy that you feel you are getting the best deal and let others, quietly, save their money too.

Edited by basor
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

... We also booked SS 3 times with the same TA, no air, got ~12-13% rebate....

And... how much have you spent with your TA on all your various cruises over the past 1, 3, 5 and 10 years? That's the point! Lots of bookings.

7 minutes ago, basor said:

... my numbers make no difference because they can't compare...Plus, I would never be so gauche to discuss what I paid for a cruise with anyone onboard or on social media....

And NARY a single dollar figure provided. And nothing on how much you spend thru your TA in the past 1, 3, 5 or 10 years. Funny how it is always vagueness.

But it is never gauche to make all the claims about the benefits of TAs? Odd. Isn't that your point, "Look at us and what our TA does for us!"

The whole POINT is to encourage people to look at and use O SALES. Each and every time a new sale happens, study it.

3 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

And... how much have you spent with your TA on all your various cruises over the past 1, 3, 5 and 10 years? That's the point! Lots of bookings.

I am a heavy booker with my TA, yet friends have called and spoken to agent who answers the phone. Given exact great rebate and benefits as I get. Seems you refuse to listen to honest feedback that does not meet your narrative.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Same I would spend booking direct, less 10-12%.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MEFIowa said:

And NARY a single dollar figure provided. And nothing on how much you spend thru your TA in the past 1, 3, 5 or 10 years. Funny how it is always vagueness.

But it is never gauche to make all the claims about the benefits of TAs? Odd. Isn't that your point, "Look at us and what our TA does for us!"

The whole POINT is to encourage people to look at and use O SALES. Each and every time a new sale happens, study it.

I spent less than $15,000 with this TA this year, $10,000 last year nothing the year before, etc. and this was not just for cruises,,,,,you started this conversation with "look how much I am saving" not me saying look at how much my TA does for me (and if you notice I do not put figures in for that very reason).  The whole point is for people to look and use every aspect of making travel arrangements that will save them the most money which includes using a TA.

Why can you not accept that your way is not the only way to book travel and save the maximum amount of $$$ - I am happy for you that you feel your way is the best , can't you be happy others have found ways too?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Harters said:

Odd. When I did it, there were three TA websites coming up on the first Google page. I would love to give you the links  but, of course, that would be against CC rules. I think I only put the quotes round "Connoisseurs Club", rather than all three words. 

Thanks. I will try that.