Zipline in Norway?

Helleyslt, Molde, Flam

Is there a cool zipline at any of these ports..or if there is at multiple, is one better?  Also open to other fun things to do at these ports..we would be interested in anything hikes/glacier/whale:)

10 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

It is accessed from the Vatnahalsen station on the Flåm railway. Combo tickets are available here

https://www.norwaysbest.com/things-to-do/adventure/flam-zipline/?referrer=7970

Thank you, Im very interested! 

Just trying to understand-you get off the cruise at Flam port, walk to Vatnahalsen train, then about how long is the train ride?  Train will take us right to the start of the zipline?  Take zipline. Then we can either walk or bike back to the train, is this correct, and also how long of a hike/bike, reasonably doable, we are not super athletes, but also in ok shape?  Then train will take us back to cruise port area?

The train journey from Flåm to Vatnahalsen is 55 minutes.

From June to September it is possible to cycle back (down the mountain) to Flåm - it takes about two hours.

Just note that trains might sell out if big/multiple ships in port.

It is also possible to book the train at vy.no (120 days in advance) if sold out at Norways Best

2 hours ago, petuniaflower said:

Thank you, Im very interested! 

Just trying to understand-you get off the cruise at Flam port, walk to Vatnahalsen train, then about how long is the train ride?  Train will take us right to the start of the zipline?  Take zipline. Then we can either walk or bike back to the train, is this correct, and also how long of a hike/bike, reasonably doable, we are not super athletes, but also in ok shape?  Then train will take us back to cruise port area?

If you bike back you bike all the way. You can also hike to the closest train station and take the train back to Flåm. 

16 hours ago, gnome12 said:

If you bike back you bike all the way. You can also hike to the closest train station and take the train back to Flåm. 

If we hiked, would we hike back to the original station of Vatnahalsen?  And about how long would that take, and is there a route/signs that we would know where to go?  And if we did this, and bought the zip/train package would the train ticket back also be included?

Trying to make a half day or so at least out of it so we dont just do the zipline, so a hike would be nice to add..because I think commiting to a 2 hr bike ride may be a bit much for us.

1 minute ago, petuniaflower said:

If we hiked, would we hike back to the original station of Vatnahalsen?  And about how long would that take, and is there a route/signs that we would know where to go?  And if we did this, and bought the zip/train package would the train ticket back also be included?

Trying to make a half day or so at least out of it so we dont just do the zipline, so a hike would be nice to add..because I think commiting to a 2 hr bike ride may be a bit much for us.

Sorry to be a bit blunt, but if you had actually read the page I linked to you would have seen this paragraph:

Reaching the end of the zipline at Kårdal summer farm, a member of staff will help you get off and out of the harness. From here you can either walk or jump on a bicycle (must be rented in advance) and ride the 18 kilometres downhill to Flåm, or you can walk 2,5 kilometres to Blomheller station and catch the next train to Flåm or Myrdal.

No, you don't hike back up the mountain. You walk to a lower station at Blomheller and return to Flåm.

1 hour ago, gnome12 said:

Sorry to be a bit blunt, but if you had actually read the page I linked to you would have seen this paragraph:

Reaching the end of the zipline at Kårdal summer farm, a member of staff will help you get off and out of the harness. From here you can either walk or jump on a bicycle (must be rented in advance) and ride the 18 kilometres downhill to Flåm, or you can walk 2,5 kilometres to Blomheller station and catch the next train to Flåm or Myrdal.

No, you don't hike back up the mountain. You walk to a lower station at Blomheller and return to Flåm.

Ok, so there is no ticket option to include the return fare, just a combo for first leg of train to the zip and zip itself.  The train ticket after hike from Blomheller would be a separate purchase, and could be filled so should book in advance?

• 1 month later...
On 2/7/2024 at 11:01 AM, petuniaflower said:

We booked the train, zipline, bike combo ticket for June. I don’t think the bike ride is 2 hours. It looks to be about 11 miles and downhill so I figure it shouldn’t take more than an hour. My husband and teen daughter are much more athletic than me so I told them I would see them at the bottom!

6 hours ago, hallasm said:

More realistic with an hour but it's a steep descent.

I thought I read that the zipline took you down the steepest part of the descent, and that the descent from the end of the zipline is not so steep.

On 4/8/2024 at 12:43 AM, gnome12 said:
On 4/7/2024 at 6:00 PM, hallasm said:

I thought I read that the zipline took you down the steepest part of the descent, and that the descent from the end of the zipline is not so steep

The zipline takes you past the steepeat part where many people choose to walk their cycle.

It starts at Vatnahalsen, which is a little over 1km from Myrdal. The Rallavegen path is a 8% grade down for 850m followed by 250m back up at 7.5%. This is certainly an incline, but not the most extreme part of the route. If you pick up the cycle at the train station, you may need to cover this section either riding walking the cycle.

image.thumb.png.029f024239a760bb1094ef97652708cf.png

The other end of the zip line is at Rallarrosa sølsysteri, down in the valley. https://www.vatnahalsen.no/en/flam-zipline

That takes you well past the section of switchbacks on the cycle path that have an average descent of over 25%! It’s not a surprise that even experienced cyclists walk that bit!

Returning to Flåm from the Rallarrosa end of the zip line, it is an overall downhill journey, but it does have some small ups and downs, so it’s not just coasting the whole way:

image.thumb.png.472a846225bc9792105241814981544a.png

And if your curious, here is the full profile from Myrdal to Flåm for comparison:

image.thumb.png.ca5bb7b671cd002121daafb64f4c0475.png

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks kaisatsu for the visual! Glad we will not be on that 1st portion! My husband and daughter are athletic and will have no problem. I am budgeting lots of time for myself to complete the ride! 

On 2/6/2024 at 3:46 PM, petuniaflower said:

Any clue how far the beginning and end location of the zipline is to the port?

We did the Flam railroad with zip line/bike ride back to Flam on our own back in 2022.  The zipline is 1380 meters long.  My 74 year old aunt went with us and to this day talks about how the zipline was the highlight of her trip.  I was an amazing experience.  The package (train, zipline and bike rental) cost us $175 per person in 2022.