Steak Add-On In the MDR: Anyone done it?

It’s on every dinner menu in the MDR: “Make it an extra special night” add steak or lobster for like $20. 

Have you done this? What was your experience?  Was the steak cooked to order? Was it comparable to a steak in Crown Grill or did it feel like buffet or MDR?

Thanks for any insight! I will specifically be on Discovery (I know it can vary from ship to ship and sailing to sailing.)

34 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

It’s on every dinner menu in the MDR: “Make it an extra special night” add steak or lobster for like $20. 

Have you done this? What was your experience?  Was the steak cooked to order? Was it comparable to a steak in Crown Grill or did it feel like buffet or MDR?

Thanks for any insight! I will specifically be on Discovery (I know it can vary from ship to ship and sailing to sailing.)

Yes, it is like a CG main dish.  You don't get the app's nor the desserts.

9 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

Thanks! Great to know 

When I was on Island this fall in the eastern Med, for part of the cruise, they listed a strip steak as one of the "Princess Favorites" available every night along with grilled chicken and a salmon dish.  I had it once and it was a NY Strip, about 3/4" thick, and was quite tasty.  No surcharge for it.  The second half of the cruise (the TA part), that strip steak was no longer offered, only the upcharged steak you mention.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

When I was on Island this fall in the eastern Med, for part of the cruise, they listed a strip steak as one of the "Princess Favorites" available every night along with grilled chicken and a salmon dish.  I had it once and it was a NY Strip, about 3/4" thick, and was quite tasty.  No surcharge for it.  The second half of the cruise (the TA part), that strip steak was no longer offered, only the upcharged steak you mention.

I have not seen the free strip steak for quite awhile instead they offer things like salmon and chicken. If my recollection is correct the strip steak was nothing to write home about 

Just now, memoak said:

I have not seen the free strip steak for quite awhile instead they offer things like salmon and chicken. If my recollection is correct the strip steak was nothing to write home about 

The one I had wasn't too bad.  Certainly not a Crown Grill level steak (no smoked salt to sprinkle on 😒) but it wasn't a Golden Corral/Sizzler level steak either.

Just now, memoak said:

Yes, I had forgotten about the strip steak for our transatlantic crossing on the Sky.  I did not get it, but it was offered a couple of times for that sailing.

2 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

The one I had wasn't too bad.  Certainly not a Crown Grill level steak (no smoked salt to sprinkle on 😒) but it wasn't a Golden Corral/Sizzler level steak either.

I didn’t think it even came up to Sizzler standard 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, New2cruise2022 said:

We did this pretty often,as the food at times was pretty bad. The steak/lobster comes from the specialty rest.pantries on board. They are not "holdbacks" in the MDR kitchens. they will be prepared to your liking. You'll notice the difference in Lobster tails(not New England, Caribbean Lobster)from the specialys rest. You'll find them quite a bit larger than the ones in the MDR during the last formal night.

• Like 2

I had the fillet once and I will not be ordering that again. It was fairly tender but lacked flavor.

Coming from the Midwest we have really good beef so $19 extra for a mediocre steak was not a good value to me.

• Like 2

I had the $19 filet mignon in the MDR several times on the Sky this past December.  The steak itself is the same cut of meat served in the Crown Grill.  However, it is prepared in the MDR galley.  It certainly was better than any steak served in any main dining room these days.  But, not as good as I normally get at Chops on Royal Caribbean.  If you have extra OBC to spend, give it a try.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, DCThunder said:

We've had the included steak a couple of times and it's hit or miss with the quality & flavor. 

11 hours ago, deja moo said:

I had the fillet once and I will not be ordering that again. It was fairly tender but lacked flavor.

Coming from the Midwest we have really good beef so $19 extra for a mediocre steak was not a good value to me.

Maybe that is my issue as well. I live next to you (West) and I find the beef horrible on Princess.

16 hours ago, New2cruise2022 said:

Have you done this?

0749_20230831_175753.thumb.jpg.d216a3dcf9df693bcc6f1681cd06d12a.jpg

The 19$ upcharge CG filet mignon in MDR, Regal Princess.

Way better than the included NY strip steak.

0264_20230826_210413.thumb.jpg.de46493366ce9eab0f8db0af26d1bac5.jpg

The 19$ upcharge CG lobster tail in MDR, Regal Princess.
Way better than the included lobster.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, EDVM96 said:

0749_20230831_175753.thumb.jpg.d216a3dcf9df693bcc6f1681cd06d12a.jpg

The 19$ upcharge CG filet mignon in MDR, Regal Princess.

Way better than the included NY strip steak.

0264_20230826_210413.thumb.jpg.de46493366ce9eab0f8db0af26d1bac5.jpg

The 19$ upcharge CG lobster tail in MDR, Regal Princess.
Way better than the included lobster.

You’ve taken a nice picture or it really is a beautiful upgrade to a meal. 

I ordered the New York strip steak from the always available menu on the Crown in September.  Basically it was pretty tasteless when ordered as medium rare.  Would never order it again.

We ordered Crown Grill room service on the Regal 2 weeks ago. We'd eaten there already in the cruise but were tired and didn't want to schlep down there again. Same pricing as MDR add on plus service charge. Steaks were just as good as dine in.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

It doesn't look any bigger. 

If it's as big as the ones we had 2 weeks ago on Regal then it was huge and much bigger than MDR. Ours were huge and our neighboring diners stopped eating to watch the server de-shell them, then said 'wish we'd ordered what you guys got, we're coming back later in the week for surf & turf now'.

Edited by Paula_MacFan
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Paula_MacFan said:

We ordered Crown Grill room service on the Regal 2 weeks ago. We'd eaten there already in the cruise but were tired and didn't want to schlep down there again. Same pricing as MDR add on plus service charge. Steaks were just as good as dine in.

I’ve considered this. Sounds like the perfect option if you are feeling really vacay relaxed. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

I’ve considered this. Sounds like the perfect option if you are feeling really vacay relaxed. 

I have never found that any room service dinner comes to the cabin at the proper temperature nor is there any “real” table to eat nice food from in the cabin.