Emerald Princess Quebec to Boston Cruise

karatemom2

My opinion is if you do not wish to spend any pre-cruise time in Montreal then I can't think of any solid reason not to fly LAX to Montreal, change planes and fly onto Quebec. The flight to Quebec City is probably in the range of 45 minutes. I would imagine that Montreal being the initial port in Canada that you would clear Immigration/Customs there with no further clearance in Quebec City. 

• Thanks 1

I have lived in both Montreal and Quebec city and both are great places to visit.  If you wanted to stay in Montreal and travel to Quebec city by train you can do it from $120 for two in economy class or $250 for two in business class.  The business class comes with a meal drinks included (wine and alcohol are included for trips at lunchtime or after.  I would suggest business class for you as it is one way and the seats are a bit nicer.  There is a train that leaves Montreal central station  at 08:36 and gets you into Quebec (Gare du Palais) at around 11:52. Check here for allowances Train baggage allowance | VIA Rail.  We regularly take the train from Ottawa to Montreal and Quebec city and it is a nice ride.  The Gare du Palais station is right downtown a 5 minute care ride from the pier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We like to eat on the water when it's available and two lunches we enjoyed was DiMillo's on the Water in Portland ( we ate at  the bar because the restaurant wait was long) for lobster roll and clam chowder and in Newport RI, 22 Bowens Wine Bar and Grill at the Wharf for two different kinds of Lobster Roll, both delicious. Since the MDR on the ship is closed when in port we really enjoyed walking over to these restaurants from the cruise dock instead of another excursion. But we had been in both ports many times before.

• Thanks 1

On 2/7/2024 at 4:00 PM, Rick&Jeannie said:

We have done this run twice now, both times northbound.  The first time we missed Halifax due to high winds and not being able to port.  It's a nice cruise.  One of my most favorite pictures that I've ever taken was in Maine at the Bass Harbor Head Lighthouse.  The picture itself is not all that "special" to look at...it's what I had to go through to *get* it!  I climbed off the end of a normal trail over and across some VERY rocky boulders to get as far out towards the ocean as I could to get a better angle.  I'm not a mountain goat!  I was CRAZY careful in doing this.

Lighthouse.jpg

One of our favorite excursions was the all day trip from Boson that involved Lexington, Concord and many Revolutionary Warr historical sites. 

Minuteman.jpg

Hi! I’m doing the 7-day New England/Canada cruise in October and hadn’t planned anything for Boston since I’ve been there before but the Lexington Concord trip looks interesting and I love history and haven’t been there. Thanks for posting that. Can I ask what excursion you did in Acadia? I was there many years ago on a family trip (did Cadillac Mountain on a picture perfect day!). I’ve signed up for the walking tour in the park but I’m not sure it will be enough. It sounds like it sticks to the carriage roads so I’m not sure we’ll see any shoreline so I’m rethinking my choice. Thanks!

This is my travel log for the repositioning cruise FLL to Quebec.  

I did not do a sort of live from Quebec back to FLL.  I did spend 2 nights/2 full day in Montreal before catching the train (business class) at noon to Quebec.  Yes....no organized line for taxi's.  It was a free for all war zone in front of the train station.  If you are an early riser, I would recommend the earlier train. 

@Ken the cruiser did an excellent live from Quebec back to FLL in the fall.  Maybe he will chime in and add his link.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

This is my travel log for the repositioning cruise FLL to Quebec.  

I did not do a sort of live from Quebec back to FLL.  I did spend 2 nights/2 full day in Montreal before catching the train (business class) at noon to Quebec.  Yes....no organized line for taxi's.  It was a free for all war zone in front of the train station.  If you are an early riser, I would recommend the earlier train. 

@Ken the cruiser did an excellent live from Quebec back to FLL in the fall.  Maybe he will chime in and add his link.

Thanks Renee for the kind words. Here is my Live From thread from our fun cruise from Quebec City to Ft Lauderdale last Fall with a 5-day PCL land cruise before it, and a 5-day Caribbean cruise afterwards (that got us to Elite). Hope this helps. Personally, I would just look at the pictures to make it go faster. 😁

• Thanks 1

On 2/7/2024 at 3:25 PM, karatemom2 said:

We are considering booking this 10 day itinerary in September and I would love to hear from those of you who have done this cruise. It looks like an amazing itinerary and we love the Emerald. We have visited a couple of these ports before on a summer New England cruise, but the idea of doing the one way from Quebec and ending in Boston is very appealing. Unfortunately, due to our work schedules, we just can't go any later then mid September, so I'm wondering if we will see any beginning stage maybe of the fall colors? I know October is peak, but hoping we might catch some glimpse of the start of the season.

Any feedback you can provide on this particular itinerary would be welcomed!

I live in New England, and its hard to say when foliage will be good in any year. It depends on how much rain falls in the summer, and whether there are any chilly nights late in summer. I usually see some color here in NH by late August, but nothing large scale.

• Like 1