Azamazing Evenings – coming back?

excitedofharpenden

7 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

We have a Spain intensive on Quest starting on 9/11 and are having an Azamara Evening off shore in Gibraltar!

We’re on the Spain Intensive on Onward 13 September and our Azamazing Evening is also on shore in Gibraltar

• Like 4

12 hours ago, susiesan said:

We are the only ship scheduled in Kotor that day but will not dock, we have to tender. So our evening has to be on the ship. I'm quite disappointed.

Tendering does not preclude an on-land Azamazing Evening.  We did just that in April 2023 in Dubrovnik.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Yes, I've done onshore Azamazing and tendered too. Chania was one I remember. 

Phil 

And Hvar which also involved a walk - some loved it especially on the way back in the evening lights some didn’t 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

On Quest now and our Azamazing Evening was last night in Gibraltar on shore in the town square. Honestly, it could have been better. It took well over an hour to bus all of the guests to the venue (which was only about a mile or so) because all they had were mini vans. They provided sangria, beer, and bad red and white wine and munchies and the entertainment was a 45 minute musical show depicting the history of Gibraltar since WWII. 
Then another hour to get back to the ship. At least it wasn’t raining!

32 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

On Quest now and our Azamazing Evening was last night in Gibraltar on shore in the town square. Honestly, it could have been better. It took well over an hour to bus all of the guests to the venue (which was only about a mile or so) because all they had were mini vans. They provided sangria, beer, and bad red and white wine and munchies and the entertainment was a 45 minute musical show depicting the history of Gibraltar since WWII. 

Sounds like a bad plan to use mini vans. The walk is not that long, but would be streneous for some.

Gibraltar doesn’t have larger coaches because of their roads/bends/hills. They used to do the evening up in the Caves. It was a fabulous venue but suffered the same logistical problems. It’s an example of where off ship isn’t always best 

• Like 3

On 8/26/2024 at 8:37 AM, Grandma Cruising said:

We’re on the Spain Intensive on Onward 13 September and our Azamazing Evening is also on shore in Gibraltar

Please let us know how this was!

12 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

The transportation logistics are often awkward.  On our recent cruises we had Azamazing evenings in Antwerp (quite a nice location and show) and Bilbao (also pretty good).  For Bilbao, we avoided half the transport mess by staying in town rather than going back to the ship in the afternoon; tapas and drinks as we wandered our way from the old city area to the venue.  If we'd thought about it in time, that probably would have worked for Antwerp as well.

Sometimes I think it would be worth it to duck the busses and just take a taxi or Uber, but that certainly wouldn't work in all ports. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Interesting.  On Onward right now, and our Azamazing evening in Gibraltar must have been described as a walk into town, as that's what I definitely have in my head, but when I look at the description right now, walking is not mentioned.  I've got a copy/paste of the full description, but that's on my home PC.

I think we'll walk it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fruitmachine said:

Interesting.  On Onward right now, and our Azamazing evening in Gibraltar must have been described as a walk into town, as that's what I definitely have in my head, but when I look at the description right now, walking is not mentioned.  I've got a copy/paste of the full description, but that's on my home PC.

I think we'll walk it. 

It is one mile. Most people are able.